If I was Plant I'd Just Retire

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by tinman, Nov 8, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    You have to take a realistic assessment of your skills and boxing ability. Plant is a decent fighter. Hes B- or C+level. Hes fast and somewhat skilled, but that's it. Hes not good enough to carve out a boxing legacy that's meaningful.

So if you're not fighting for legacy what's their to fight for? Obviously money. He will probably clear $5 million AFTER taxes and paying his team. He will never see that type of money again in boxing.

Bruh, just retire. Take your millions and put it in an S&P 500 index fund and never have to work again a day in your life.

fistsof steel, pacas, Mike_b and 7 others like this.
  2. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Told ya so.:sisi1

Don't think he needs to retire though. He could easily confound and beat a few other plodders he's accustomed to beating and make some cash there. This is prize fighting after all, and it's not like he takes that much punishments in his fights.

3. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Most better know boxers make the most money later in their careers, even more so if they once were in a significant fight.
    Pretty sure he gets paid better now, despite losing his belt, after fighting Canelo and doing a decent job despite his limitations.
    Retiring now wouldn't be the best thing for his post boxing life.

4. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    lol why he should retire? Nobody expected him to beat Clenelo. He was a +900 underdog or so on the betting market.

He could easily beat 95% of the weak 168 division. He can make some money.

You must be ******ed and stupid to retire at this point.

Pretty sure you wouldn't retire if you're PLant. You're just using your keyboard warrior skills to write such BS.

Log off and kick rocks.

5. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    See the point and for the record I predicted a Canelo KO. I said dont be surprised if Caleb frustrates Canelo, looks fast and makes it more tricky than a simple blowout fight. I wasnt that far off.

And yea as far as retiring its about how much money could you reasonably make.

6. tinman

Feb 25, 2015
    If I was Plant I'd take my 5 to 10 million and never take another punch to the head again.

The sport is about two things from a fighters perspective. One is legacy. Two is making as much money as possible. That's what the boxing business is about.

7. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Now youre back peddaling? Disgraceful. Wtf is your heart at tinman

Showstopper97 likes this.
  8. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    He's never been that fast, just elusive. The only problems he gave to Canelo is provided him with a hard target to land on clean. But he didn't offer much in the way of dissuading him from walking him down, by opening up and letting his offense fly, because he knew he'd be countered silly with flush looping hooks like the one that KO'd him, so he fought to survive for the majority of the match. Which is similar to what I predicted, which is that he'd give him a few problems early, Canelo would figure him out walk him down and batter him to a late stoppage. Only thing I was off with was Canelo figured him out in a round instead of 3 or 4. That aside from the few loons that picked Plant to win, was basically everyone's prediction.

As far as retiring goes, he could still beat guys like Berlanga, Chudinov, Lemieux, Shishkin, Hart and Abdugofurov, So while not massive money, enough to generate a few bucks and not take a massive beating.

pacas, Hanz Cholo, box33 and 3 others like this.
  9. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Really disagree and I think that mentality is bad for boxing. If he want to retire by all means, but boxing needs fighters who stick around after everyone writes them off and make exciting fights. For all anyone really knows plant vs Rosado could be an atg fight. Looking at it as "pointless" only plays into the hands of sanctioning bodies and promoters who make everything about this or that belt or record instead of making exciting fights.

10. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    ''Bruh''

pacas likes this.
  11. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Why would he need to retire though? He has good health, he put up a valiant effort against the best p4p fighter in the world, and showed he was on a world class level. Sure he made his biggest payday, but theres fights with the likes of Dirrell for example, a fight he can win that would be relevant and add more benjamins to the account. Dont see why he should retire now, when hes still trying to build his own legacy. Smh

Philly161 likes this.
  12. Bustajay

Bustajay Feel the Steel/Balls Deep Full Member

Dec 9, 2012
    He can still make good, much better, money and has enough left for a few more years.
    Make that money while you can after all he is known more now than ever after the PPV

drenlou likes this.
  13. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    He's only lost one fight. Just because you cannot beat the absolute best doesn't mean your career is over. He can still make some good fights, and if he loves what he does then why retire?

iii, Philly161 and Mitch87 like this.
  14. anthoto1

anthoto1 Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Lol no.

drenlou likes this.
  15. J.BULLA

J.BULLA Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2011
    So going by the logic of the OP ... 99% of all professional boxers who have a big payday but lose should just retire

Bustajay, DJN16 and drenlou like this.