IF IRON MIKE WAS UP AND COMING NOW,WHAT WOULD YOUR THOUGHTS BE?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. UFC2015

UFC2015 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Tyson took 167 punches from Lewis (One of the hardest punchers in history) when he was at a grandpa stage in 2002. Lol at Ruddock not connecting great, he connected perfectly but Tyson took them without flinching. And you yourself admit Tyson is the ultimate finisher, Wlad allowed AJ to recover for 4 plus rounds, AJ will not have that luxury against Tyson for 10 seconds.

SluggerBrawler likes this.
  2. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Tbf unforgiven your right mate its a good post. Think bit of a mix up mainly because i came on the thread not really answering the original question. We are kind of on the same page i m not saying tyson was 100 percent guaranteed to be the best...as you said no one can say that in boxing. But he was pretty much as close to a sure thing as you can get in boxing.

I still think after watching both of them. Tyson up to mid 1986. And joshua up to his last fight. Theres only one winner in that fight. Tyson would have battered him. I actually think mitch green would have given joshua all he could think about. The 80,s fighters are vastly underrated. Nowadays its all about looking at records. People will go back look at mitch greens record and laugh at that claim. But go back and watch him fight. Watch him fight tyson.

He was 6 foot five weighing 225 pounds with the same reach as joshua. Joshuas got the weight advantage on him. But green actually had by far the better skill and speed on joshua. People say mitch green couldnt punch...but watch him fight he could dig....i seen what dillon whyte done to joshua. If dillon could do it green could do it too.

Green had a great chin. A great jab. Punched in combinations. These guys nowadays dont know how to punch in combinations. He could move around a ring. Could fight on the move. Had fast hands. He actually didnt have many weaknesses.

I ll tell you the main reason tyson would have battered joshua. Watch joshua backing up. He goes back too slow. He comes out of clinches too slow. Hes quite quick going forward...hes like a truck going backwards tho. Compared to tyson and quite a few of them 80,s heavyweights...joshua has novice like boxing skills. Hes a big powerful unit i ll give him that. But it only works against guys that lack skill as much as he does. Tell me what molina did well. Or breazeale. Or martin. Their basically single punch fighters so is klitchko. Tyson threw in bunches...thats how you beat a height/length advantage. Joshua wouldnt last long against tyson. Hes actually not that hard to hurt and when he is hurt he takes longer to recover than any current fighter i know. Hes only been hit from whyte and klitchko they both had him shut down for a couple of rounds. Tyson took full bloodied shots coming through and took them all well.

Unforgiven and UFC2015 like this.
  3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Tyson was never overly hurt against Ruddock, he was probably stunned a couple of times, but not hurt as in trouble hurt.

4. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Good post.

5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Wlad is one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, is it any wonder Joshua was out of it for a while? He was that hurt after the knockdown that he had the sense to avoid Wlad's attempts at landing the finishing blows. Joshua has already proven something Tyson never did......

6. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I suggest you go watch the last few round of their second bout, Ruddock was on the verge of stopping Tyson. He would have done so if not for being a one armed bandit.

7. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    I shall go back and watch it when I get the chance Wass. I'm intrigued now because I don't recall Tyson being that badly hurt.

8. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Go and watch the last four rounds, I believe it's the 10th round where he looks ready to go. It was like watching the end of the Douglas fight again.

9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Compu box is a load of crap he didn`t take 167 power punches nobody could, half of Lewis`s punches were jabs! Tyson was hurt by Ruddock and was nowhere near good enough without Rooney to beat AJ. AJ blocked 6 hooks when Wlad tried to put him away! AJ is a better combo puncher than the one handed Ruddock that fought Tyson, AJ would have destroyed Razor the way Lewis did around this time he wasn`t even training properly.

Wass1985 likes this.
  10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Shavers decked a prime in condition Holmes not the flabby 38 year old who was scared to death, Shavers decked Holmes with one punch while losing Tyson had to knock Holmes down a few times wit a number of punches no way would a 38 year old Holmes have the conditioning to recover from that shot no 38 year old could! Mercer was dreadful against Holmes and hardly landed any power punches, McCall was crap without Steward he couldn`t even KO Bruno. The second Ruddock v Tyson fight was awful, Tyson said he didn`t bother training much because he was bored with boxing.

11. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I think it was the round before Ruddock was stopped, he had Tyson concerned and backing up with 3 left uppercuts.

12. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Yep he rocked him there admittedly, then Tyson tapped his chin as though to say "give me some more ''. But in all fairness Ruddock was hitting Tyson with some cracking shots. The trouble with Mike by then, is defence had gone through the window and ego had taken over. The Ruddock Tyson was far different from the Berbick version.

13. tinman

tinman VIP Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2015
    My thoughts would be that he's about the F up the entire division.

14. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Lewis landed plenty though, more than enough right hands and at one point damn near bent Tyson's neck in half but still couldn't get this version of Tyson out until the 8th round. Tyson's durability was proven, even when way past his best.

15. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    He hurt his hand pretty bad, that must have affected his effectiveness.