IF IRON MIKE WAS UP AND COMING NOW,WHAT WOULD YOUR THOUGHTS BE?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'm saying Wass, that certain experts recognized that it wasn't the real McCoy Tyson of previous years. It just wasn't, thought with you having a boat load of Tyson films you'd have picked up on that. Do you think that was the same Tyson in there against Douglas? The same one that kod Thomas and Biggs? Nothing u can say can convince me that it was. Take it from someone who followed him from his fight against Mercedes.
    Yep he got beat, not in a Frazier V foreman beat but he lost nevertheless, but don't tell me he lost to a guy that would have beaten him just two years previous.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    All is good.
    I just think now perhaps you should know all the answers already.
    I'm sleepwalking these discussions now, I ain't gonna lie.
    Respect due to you for keeping me hanging in there, like a good corner man. But there's nothing new to learn, we done overcooked it fella.

Heavyweights are fun and all, and Tyson especially interesting to fans like us, but this classic forum's overdone it lately. With all respect, my friend.
    If I'm gonna stay involved we need new angles. Change it all up.
    I guess that's what you been telling me all along?
    But what about you? What you doing without me?
    See you in the Eder Jofre thread, I guess, pal.

Wass1985, Fergy and Sangria like this.
  3. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    And not getting in to a tit for tat with u about it Wass. Think of it this way.. If that was the genuine Tyson in there, why was it such a big shock? You know your boxing stuff, can you tell me that you expected him to lose to Douglas? I'd have been least shocked if he'd lost to tucker to be honest.

rski likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Lets stop feeding the troll.

5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Can you agree that Tyson's wins were littered with fighters who were in poor condition both mentally and physically too?

6. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    I wouldn't feed you air tbh.......

7. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Tyson would have an easier time today,bc these guys hit harder and if Tyson was presented with more threat he would have fought better. To beat him you needed punching power and being able to stay in the pocket.

D.Whyte would resemble a Berbick type fighter.

Breazeale would resemble Mike Jameson .

T.fury would have been L.Holmes or Tucker ( depending which Tyson showed up)

Wilder is not lasting long at all.For obvious reasons.It would be Biggs all over again with Tyson not carrying him.

Parker doesnt have the remote skills to deal with on coming Tyson.His defense doesnt get him out of rnd 3.

A guy like Ortiz could last awhile but i dont see him winning.

So that leaves Joshua the only real guy with the style and power to defeat him in what really would be a great fight to see.

Tyson would be chasing guys less bc they are bigger/ heavier today. This would make the fights easier for Tyson.

But he would have the most dangerous fight hes fought in Joshua ...but thats one guy. Career wise we would have seen a k.o display of much quicker stoppages.Not bc they are less effective but bc standing still agaionst such a fast power puncher skilled Tyson is never a good idea if you cant at least match abilities.

Im also assuming Rooney was his trainer.Without the cus Rooney trained one the argument is moot.

I would favor Tyson 3 years in as a pro against 19 fight Joshua but only slightly.I do beleive IF Tyson was around Hearn would not want the fight so fast and develope Joshua more,in which he could arguably win assuming he continues to improve like he has....

8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I've seen it a dozen times Tyson was unprepared and he ran into a focused ,on his game Douglas simple as.

9. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    So you think Tyson looked overweight and out of shape?

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I dont think he looked toned as he normally did.Bottomline prime Tyson kos Douglas imo.

11. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Probably 50 /50 to be honest, like most dominant champion s on the way up and when they get the belt. You could say that about loads of heavy champ s. Ali, Holmes, KLITSCHKO'S, Lewis. They've all had that fighting bums thrown against em. Tyson on the way up and as champ, until buster, was just to way above them all.

12. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    He looked just the same as his other fights, infact I've read an article where it states Tyson may have actually overtrained for the Douglas fight. The way Douglas dismantled Tyson I believe he beats any version of Tyson providing he is in shape and of a sound mentality.

13. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Just got to jump in sorry, but Wass, do you believe tucker is a worse fighter than buster and do you believe that tucker with out the broken hand defeat s Tyson?

14. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Yes I believe a fully fit and focused Douglas was better than Tucker, I believe a broken hand makes a ton of difference in a boxing match don't you?

15. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    It makes a difference possibly, but do you admit that fighters have won with similar injuries? So just to clarify , your saying Tony would have definitely beaten Tyson in 87 if he'd have been fully fit?