If Jack Dempsey Had Come Up The Same Time As Johnson??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    So in this other universe scenario, Jack Dempsey is born around 1880, couple of years after Jack Johnson.

Johnson didn't get his shot till he was 30, Dempsey good few years younger.

So Jack D coming up at the same time as Jack J, what happens?

Does JJ actually get a shot at the title. Do the two actually meet?
    What's the alternative time line?

2. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    I won't get into the hows or whys, I'll just offer for consideration what may have happened...

Ah. I'll get back to this later. My wife needs her prescription NOW! Later, guys.

Fergy and Stiches Yarn like this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You would get a Tyson Lewis situation, where their birth dates were close together, but there was little or no overlap in their primes.

Seamus likes this.
  4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dempsey early or JJ late, it my guess.

Fergy likes this.
  5. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Dempsey begins his career in 1899 in Colorado. He rolls off 10 early wins, all first round knockouts against local guys ranging in weight from 150 to 200 pounds. In 1900 Jack steps it up a little and starts fighting a better class of fighters and used to be guys. He gets to 19-0, with 18 knockouts in his second year. By then, James J. Jeffries is the Heavyweight Champion. In 1901, on his heavy bag, Jack has drawn a crude likeness of Jeffries and beats on it daily. In 1902 Jack gets a big chance, a fight with Gus Ruhlin, scheduled for 6 rounds. Ruhlin gets the decision over Jack in a fight that many watching thought Dempsey had won. Later, in 1903, Dempsey gets his revenge over Ruhlin. Another 6 rounder, but Jack finishes him in the first round. By 1904, Dempsey is fighting the contenders of the day: Another win over Ruhlin, a win over Root, and a hard fought win over Choynski, but has to come off the canvas to stop him. By 1905, Jack seems to be in line for a shot against Jeffries. Jack is now 43-1, with 30 knockouts, and 5 no decisions. Abruptly, Jeffries retires, citing lack of worthy contenders. He names Marvin Hart, who has recently defeated Jack Johnson, and Jack Dempsey, as the #1 and #2 Contenders. They fight to replace him as Champion. Dempsey administers a severe beating to Hart over the first 15 rounds of a scheduled 20. Amazingly, Hart hangs on, and even seems to get a second wind in rounds 16-20. It's not enough. Dempsey gets the decision and is the new Champion. Dempsey's not a real active champion. He defeats Tommy Burns in 1906 when the Police stop the fight to save Burns in Round 10. In 1907 he didn't fight at all. In 1908 he married the Stage Starlet, Florence Lawrence. Jack starts acting on stage with his wife. In 1910, Jack retires as Champion, having only defended his title 4 times in 5 years. He never fights Jack Johnson.

Fast Forward to 2021: Members of The boxingforum24 Classic Forum are still hotly debating where Jack should be ranked on any all time list, with many still upset that he never fought Johnson, and others still saying he was way too small to even be considered a Heavyweight.

6. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    The riots that ensued after Johnson won the title from Burns were often cited as one of the main reasons Dempsey/Wills was never made. If we go back in time and both Dempsey and Johnson are fighting in the same era and the fight is made, all roads lead to a Dempsey victory. From a style match up Dempsey has the advantage over Johnson. Jack Johnson got his best wins over much smaller opponents who were clunky and made to order for Johnson, or were lacking in experience. When we see how both performed against a common opponent in Willard, it leaves little question as to who comes out victorious.

7. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    JJ a masterful boxer. If Dempsey had trouble with Tunney from a pure boxing standpoint -----how would he do against a bigger, cagier, boxer like Johnson? Johnson had an ability to neutralize punchers. Did he have enough to stop a swarming Jack? Dempsey kept those hands very low when attacking. Might be perfect for JJ's counterpunches. Also JJ was smart enough to tie up when in trouble or tired. My guess.....Jack within five or JJ outpoints him late ...... Nice topic

Fergy likes this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I've come to the same conclusion.
    Either Dempsey hurts and stops him in the first few rounds, or if not and the fight goes on, then it's Jack J by late Ko or points.

9. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Johnson mauls him. A lot of holding and in fighting, favoring Johnson. Dempsey could blast him out early but I don't see him taking a decision.

10. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Dempsey avoided an older Johnson on the come back trail I can't imagine he'd be happy to fight a young and fresh Johnson. If dempay haze the hw title For the fight to happen dempsy would really have to be pressured or even forced to fight him as he wasn't a big fan of black fighters to say the least , when greb fought flowers for the mw title he said somthing along the lines of "why he'd give a title shot to a negro is beyond me" or something aloge those lines (if anyone knows the quote correct me) so if the public or the powers at be didn't want it I really can't see the fight even happening. The I only two ways can see the fight happening is if Johnson wins the title as he dose or thay are ordered to fight In a title aliminater . As for the fight itself if Johnson can tie up and smother Dempsey, which he very easily could because of his size advantage I could see a late stoppage for Johnson if not he in for a very rough night. Over all I would give to Johnson just a bad style for Jack imo.

11. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Dempsey ducks Johnson while champ.