If Joshua knocks out Usyk in a rematch, does he become an ATG?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Veerbone

Veerbone Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2021
    If he knocks out Usyk and Fury, yes. Anything short of that, not quite

2. seansanashee

seansanashee Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Ruiz gets disrespected a lot on here. He's a decent fighter and can give anyone a tough fight. So many good fights for Ruiz, I hope we get to see some. Chisora, Whyte, Joyce, Wilder, Usyk, Fury would all be intriguing.

3. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    He has two losses on his resume. He will need Usyk to become more than he is without losing a re-match. A 41 year old Wlad, and a 39 year old Povetkin. He also has a victory over a fat 282 pound Ruiz Not enough. It would help if Whyte beats
    Fury in their upcoming match..

4. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007

I think he would need to do more than that to crack the all-time top ten.

IF, he were to win his rematch with Usyk (0.5 probability) and then beat Fury (0.3 probability) and Wilder (0.6 probability; beating all three probability 0.09) I think he could be considered an ATG and I would then rank him somewhere between 10 and 20 all-time.

From my estimation of his chances, he has about one chance in eleven of hitting all three notes.

5. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    ATG status is determined after your career is over.

6. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Louis, Marciano, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Wlad.

Thats 10 guys. If Joshua were to do what I said he would need to do, you would have a hard time ranking anyone other than these guys over him. So thats a #11 lock. And you might be able to make an argument for him outranking one of those guys.

7. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    not atg. however, one thing that most seem to be over looking....didn't Usyk admit that Joshua hurt him a couple of times. don't rule out an upset in the rematch. not going to bet the farm just yet...but...it is heavyweight boxing and any thing can happen.

8. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Yeah, if you beat one good HW, w/ one good win (Being you BTW) makes you an ATG.... :lol:

MarkusFlorez99 and DoubleJab666 like this.
  9. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Atg status is already over for joshua. His best wins have been guys at 40 years old...some even older. I m sorry but the difference between a 40 year old guy and say a 30 year old guy is massive regardless of how well you,ve kept yourself. Add to that he went life and death with a 40 year old plus klitchko. He got battered round the ring by a grossly overweight andy ruiz. Then had to throw money at the problem to come back and run away from him half the night. Fights a guy 4 inches smaller...30 lbs lighter...4 inch reach advantage and fails to show any real sort of fight. Pulev, povetkin etc handpickers. They,ve been good fighters once upon a time...but their kryptonite at 40 years old is an athletic guy.

At this stage i,d say atg status is out of his reach already. The only younger guys hes beaten with a pulse were parker,ruiz, breazeale, whyte.

Wilder took breazeale out in one round. Parker went life and death with chisora. Whyte had no notable wins before joshua beat him...just club fighters....and his training camps back then involved trying to get someone to give him time hanging about a klitchko camp and ruiz knocked him about. Hes a decent fighter joshua but hes not what hes been built up to be. The quicker people realise that then maybe the guy can get on with having a good career apart from trying to keep up the charade that hes an elite fighter as hes been sold as.

I get your a fan...but as good as usyk is...its an embarrssing defeat bearing in mind how much usyk was giving away. Chisora done better than joshua. Joshua had massive advantages over him...theres a reason very very few cruiserweights have much success going to heavyweight. Because its a very difficult thing to do. Yet joshua had very little answers against him.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  10. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    That resume isn't stacked lmfao

11. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Not ATG...

Maybe PTG: Present Time Great hahaa

And that's very debatable.

12. Finkel

Finkel Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    If Joshua, somehow manages to beat both Usyk and Fury, then of course. It would take some pretty one-eyed fans to not give him that.

Lewis, who many regard as a top 5.
    If you take becoming undisputed against Holyfield off his resume...
    He would be left with a shot Tyson, and getting a cuts stoppage against Klitschko before retirement. No fight with Bowe, and two losses to sub par competition. Then a list of victories over also rans.

So I think if Joshua somehow becomes undisputed, then you have to acknowledge him. And even if he doesn't, he is already pretty much on par with Vitali and Bowe. So I guess it depends how long your list is.

13. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Not even close. Usyk jumped thirty pounds to compete as a HW after an ATG career at CW. He then makes the british adonis look like a rank and file amateur, a muscle bound dolt.
    No, hope all you want if it helps you sleep at night but an ATG your boy Joshua is not.

14. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Ruiz is no good, and Takam is a gatekeeper. Pulev wasn't that good either although better than Chisora i guess. The resume is not as good as it looks on paper. Lewis had a far superior resume.

15. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Pulev wasn't even in the ring to win the fight imo