If Lewis turned professional earlier than he did, could he have been the youngest heavyweight champ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    That could’ve happened to him against anyone

2. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    No. If he turned pro in late 84 or 85 he would not have developed fast enough to beat any of the champs in 85-86. Tyson developed faster.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    mark ant likes this.
  3. Saad54

Dec 10, 2014
    I doubt he would have been fast tracked as he was unknown in the States. He would probably be moved slowly in Canada and fighting for the Canadian title even after Tyson has beaten Berbick. Even in real life it was over two full years as a pro before he fought a top 10 contender.

sweetsci likes this.
  4. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I agree with most people-Lewis had not developed his skills enough to get more than possibly a belt.
    He did not have much more than a big right hand, & was relatively lean.

Taller athletes tend to take longer to develop the coordination to dominate so early.
    Manny gave him so much guidance & technique.
    Usain Bolt & pitcher Randy Johnson are examples.
    Basketball where height is such an advantage can be an exception.

Tyson & Patterson exploited the special gifts in the speed & energy of youth via the same trainer D'amato.

Fergy, mark ant and ecto55 like this.
  5. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    No, Lewis had a ton of flaws even well after he turned pro. Remember this guy was pretty much shut out against Frank Bruno before landing that hail mary. Thats a Bruno already in decline. I doubt he beats guys like Witherspoon much less the young Tyson and Im not even sure the savvy old Holmes wouldnt take him to the wood shed by outjabbing and out thumbing him.

dmt, ecto55 and Entaowed like this.
  6. Robertus Ramsey

Robertus Ramsey New Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2019

Spot on he was raw even at 25, poor Footwork exacerbated by his Splayed feet. Aka Charlie chaplain style.

mark ant and Big Ukrainian like this.
  7. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    What I mean ws Lewis was a lot more sloppy in the years before he hooked yp with Steward, Manny even trained McCall to time Lewis`s right hand after watching Lewis struggle with Bruno and Tucker, Lewis hardly landed any right hands on Bruno and kept falling off balance every time he threw that punch.

8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Why would he start his career in Canada when he started his real pro career in Britain?

9. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    He fought for Canada in the Olympics, so in an alternate scenario starting his pro career in Canada is entirely plausible.

10. Saad54

Dec 10, 2014
    He may have started it in Brittan. Youre right. I was just thinking how he represented Canada. I think even sarting in Brittan would probably be moved slowly. Maybe a showdown with Bruno and Bugner in 1987.

11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    No.
    Even if we ignore the matter of his physicality as an 18-21 year old (rather than mid-20s), he'd be entering the pro ranks with a lot less amateur experience, achievement (and confidence that goes with those things).
    So, no, he would rise up the ranks slower, if at all.

12. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    No, otherwise he would've.

13. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I doubt Lewis could have been progressed through the ranks quickly enough to contend for a strap, before King's Tyson Tournament.

14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    @mark ant

Why does your profile pic look like an LSV addicted ******'s victim?

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    There was a reason he came to Britain to start his pro career, he was born and raised in Britain till the age of 12 and wanted to win the British title, he was constantly boasting about his British background and draped himself in the union flag.