If Marciano Was Black???

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    During his reign Marciano was perceived by boxing experts as distinctly inferior to Dempsey,in the last couple of decades his reputation and stature has grown to an almost incredible extent .
    My question is :
    If he had been black would he be held in the almost mythical esteem he is today?
    This does not necessarily imply conscious racism, it is natural for one to root for your own kind.

Any thoughts on this?

2. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    The American media would most likely hail him as the greatest heavyweight of all time in telecasts and publications. However the public comprised of a majority of Caucasion fans would have some as fans of his, some with respect of his body of work and some would be overtly against his accomplishments and deride all his flaws.

RockyJim likes this.
  3. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    The very fact that you even went to the effort of bringing this up proves that race is an issue to you - can't really guess at your reason and can't really be bothered but there is no other reason to bring this up other than because you yourself already have issues pertaining to the question

4. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    His aunt and uncle would probably both be black, I suspect. Not necessarily, but much better odds on it.

RockyJim likes this.
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    What is an issue to me is fans being influenced by a man's colour when judging where he should stand in the all time rankings.

If you can't be bothered why post?

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I hear you. But this is McVey....

Rocky Marciano fought the best black or white fighters in title matches. He did not use the color line to avoid anyone, and was highly thought of by the black trainers of his time. He gave Walcott, Charles, and Moore title shots, and beat Charles and Walcott fare more impressively than Louis did.

A better question might be, what if he was British? The Isle of Glass jaw jokes wouldn't play. And the movie Coming to America would have lost one of its best scenes.

I rarely do this, but this thread is a joke, so why not post something to laugh at to settle the Rocky Marciano debate

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9jJObx7FE[/url]

RockyJim and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  7. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    He was black....this board sucks now.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah you've returned.:patsch

9. RockysSplitNose

Jul 15, 2007
    :lol::lol::rofl:rofl do you know how stupid you sound - I'd be careful continuing with this thread to be fair you could very easily get yourself removed from classic for racism - even though I think you're very stupid I wouldn't want you to suffer that kind of embarrassment so I'd just stop if I were you tbh

10. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Who he fought it irrelevant and immaterial to how he might have been perceived if he had been black instead of white. Im trying to ascertain from intelligent posters,[not you] if they think there might have been a change in how he is perceived if his skin colour had been different?

11. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    arguably he'd have losses without the protection of the mafia.

might have got his title shot later. in boxing literature and media he would be referred to as more of a monster, an evil thing, referring heavily to his African features, as was the wont to write in those racist times.

possibly reduced longevity, after falling into harder times...and bizarrely thus might have lived longer since he wouldn't be jetting around ie no plane crash.

might well have comeback to fight liston, getting his head ripped off by sonny in the process.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    When I need your guidance rest assured I will ask for it .
    By the way, if you think this thread is in anyway racist you are a cretin.

13. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Many of the ones who try so hard to discredit him would be hanging on his jockstrap and I would still list him in my top 3 with Joe Louis at the top and Ali 2nd. I agree with Ali and Louis that Marciano would have always be trouble style wise for them both

It's not all about prejudice a lot is perception

RockyJim likes this.
  14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I have Rocky at no 10 Holyfield and Lewis pushed him down the list.For years I had him higher I put Frazier just behind him.

15. RockysSplitNose

Jul 15, 2007
    If you came up to me in a pub and asked me a similar question I'd call you an idiot - the inference would be there that you have an issue no? Otherwise why bring it up? It would be like me saying if Floyd Mayweather was white would he be more well liked? Irrelevant unless you have an issue? If Marciano was still white but maybe 2 shades slightly darker tanned would that change anything?

RockyJim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.