If McCallum Had Challenged Hagler In 87 Instead?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Just when it looks like a Ray. Leonard fight is on the cards, Sugar has a moment of crisis and pulls out.
    Mike McCallum, the junior Middle weight champ is given the shot instead.

So what we lookin at here?
    We know how good the Body snatcher is and how comfortable he was at Middle.
    And he isn't, I'm sure, going to put on a display like Ray did against Marvin.

Is this MM s shining moment?

Jel likes this.
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Hagler decision for me. McCallum wasn't quite there yet imo. Same month as Hagler - SRL he fought McCrory and the performance was good but certainly not great. He hadn't beaten Curry yet and was soon to lose to Kalambay. Different fighter to Ray and he wasn't going to outdo him with lateral movement and speed. He'd be awkward tho with all that old school skill but i think Hagler could probably force the issue with him when needed and get the decision.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Think akward s the right word John.
    I reckon he'd surprise people with how good he'd be against Hagler and we'd get people pointing out that Marvin s slipped and looking old!
    And that, if Ray had been in there then he'd have kod Hagler!
    You know how people are, lol.

But personally for me? I see Hagler struggling at the start but clawing back the point s as the fight draws to a close.
    I'm going with Hagler but close enough to put McCallum in the talked about section.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  4. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    McCallum wasnt an antagonist and was not a stand out in speed of foot or hand he was just a great all around solid fighter like Hagler but for those reasons Hagler puts in a workman performance and pulls the decision possible a split as McCallum was always in shape as well and I dont recall him fading

Flash24 and Fergy like this.
  5. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Oh, McCallum for sure.

forget about all this "McCallum wasnt there yet" nonsense. He was as ready physically as he'd ever be

The REAL factor here is Hagler was too faded

McCallum close on points

6. Mark Dunham

Mar 19, 2021
    The snatch opens up and swallows Hagler's title

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Hagler would win in a close fight
    I thought Hagler beat Leonard too, of course.

Reinhardt and Mark Dunham like this.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He was in his absolute prime but I think Hagler would still edge past him.

Mark Dunham likes this.
  9. Mark Dunham

Mar 19, 2021
    **** yeah, I dont know what that guy's talking about!

Flash24 likes this.
  10. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    As great as Marvelous Marvin Hagler was, he did show signs of wear and tear, especially after the war against John The Beast Mugabi in 1986. He won a great fight but the human body can only take so much, that goes for any fighter. Mike McCallum was an aggressive fighter who lived up to his nickname, The Body Snatcher. Marvelous had been in a few too many wars at that point in time, remember his 3 round war against Thomas The Hitman Hearns in April 1985. I see Mike going to the sculpted body of Hagler, this robs Marvelous of his mobility, and again, many wars have to take a toll at sometime. Hagler goes the distance, a close fight but this one appears to be controversial at the end, McCallum by razor thin disputed decision. If this fight happened around 1985, I go with Hagler to retain by unanimous decision.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Smokin Bert, Fergy and Mark Dunham like this.
  11. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    In 87' McCallum had back to back wins over McCory and Curry and was in the prime of his career where Hagler was definitely starting to slip. I think prime for prime at 160 its tough to go against Hagler but at that point he was 32 and had back to back wars with Hearns and Mugabi. I would go with McCallum by decision in this one. I thought Hagler did beat Leonard when they fought but McCallum was another animal at that point.

12. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I'll spell it out for you, then.

What @JohnThomas1 is saying is Mike may not, yet, have hit his absolute middleweight peak and the McCallum of 87 - who struggled with Milton McCrory, was being beaten by a damaged Don Curry and who would soon lose to Sumbu Kalambay - wasn't at the level of the man who would avenge the loss to Kalambay and beat Herol Graham and Michael Watson a couple of years later. in 1987, he would be having his first fight at middleweight. I would suggest that would not be ideal for him being 'as ready physically as he'd ever be.'

If my summary above accurately reflects what he was saying then imo it's a perfectly valid point, he makes. I'm surprised you were so utterly dismissive. Not saying he's right but I agree with him.

Flash24, Man_Machine and Jel like this.
  13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I can always rely on you to have the required level of intelligence to "get it" Eddie. It's redrooster btw.

Flash24 and Bokaj like this.
  14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    He'd have beaten Hagler more convincingly .. by the time of that fight Hagler had lost a step physically and two emotionally .. no one stops Marvin but Mike would have outpointed him .. he was in his own prime ..

15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    It's not beyond the realms of possibility that McCallum wins this but he'd be taking a huge step up in class and a step up in weight too. If Mugabi was a big underdog in 86, then McCallum absolutely would be in 87.

McCallum would have to outbox Hagler but he would be doing that in front of Hagler, not the way Leonard did it or the way Kalambay would do it aganst McCallum a year later.

I think this would be a cracking fight but I think Hagler would still have enough to edge a decision, maybe a majority or even a split. Then he'd either wait for Leonard to change his mind or see the writing on the wall and retire.

Great matchup, though.