If prime David Tua was active today where would he be in the HW picture?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MixedMartialLaw, Jul 9, 2021.

1. MixedMartialLaw

MixedMartialLaw combat sports enthusiast Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    He was never able to win the title in his own time, losing his only shot to Lewis. However what if he was active today in the current HW environment?

2. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    He'd have to be favored over everyone in the top 10 besides Usyk, Fury, Joshua though i wouldn't be that suprised if he lost against Hunter or Joyce because he's a short, limited plodder that can be outboxed, but he carries his devastating power late so yeah.

He'd also probably win a world title, it's incredibly hard imagining him not winning one in this era

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    catchwtboxing likes this.
  3. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Lose to Fury by wide UD

Joshua, Usyk, and Wilder its kind of a toss up in they may be able to box him to a decision but would have to be on their game for the whole fight or Tua would do what he did in his prime, crush them early or catch them late after being behind or close on the cards.

Everyone else in the division would be in big trouble

4. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Tua would have destroyed Wilder.

5. Charles White

Charles White Chucker Full Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Fury would give him some issues with his height and range but I don’t see anybody else troubling him. He would be a dominant champion in my book.

6. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Guys like Whyte and Chisora would be grist to mill. He would be getting highlight reel kayos versus top ranked dudes. Absolutely would've gotten more than just the one title shot by now (say he debuted in like 2010 or something). Considering the chins of all three of this era's belt holders, yeah, Tuaman would be in with a real puncher's chance.

7. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Fury would be a problem. He's the only one I'm certain would beat Tua.
    Joshua might be able to survive, but I also think he could gas out and Tua carries that power late.
    Usyk also might be able to survive, but I think Tua finishes him early since Usyk needs a few rounds to warm up. Need to see more data on how Usyk handles being tagged by a legit hard hitting heavyweight punch.

8. Finkel

Finkel Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 10, 2020
    Seated on the front row with the other short kids.

9. Kiwi_in_America

Kiwi_in_America The Tuaminator Full Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I think prime Tua takes OUT Whyte, Wilder and perhaps even Usyk

Tall talented boxers like Fury, AJ and Parker can beat him by UD, I believe.

Reinhardt and PatCash like this.
  10. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    within 4 rounds

Oneirokritis, boxingforum24 and Serge like this.
  11. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Lol parker is a bum and he is barely an inch taller than Usyk.

boxingforum24 likes this.
  12. Manu Vatuvei

Manu Vatuvei Active Member Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    As a Kiwi and a general sports fan who was aged between 7-28 for Tua’s pro career, it’s fascinating how highly rated he is by real boxing fans. The NZ media and sports media sort of treated him like an underwhelming disappointment and no-skill joke, more than celebrating him.

boxingforum24 and kiwi_boxer like this.
  13. MetalLicker

MetalLicker Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 10, 2011
    AJ that fought Ruiz 2 outboxes him
    Usyk outboxes him
    Fury outboxes him
    Wilder gets KO'ed

boxingforum24 and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  14. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Tua would definitely pick up a title of some description how could he not with so many titles. If Martin, Stiverne, Ruiz Jr and the like can pick up world titles it's hard to see how he wouldn't.

I could see Fury and Usyk out point him, Tua was very dangerous but he could be easily be befuddled by a decent out boxer with a jab.

Joshua could also out point him if he fought like he did vs Ruiz Jr in the rematch but he could easily come undone, with Joshua prone to the left hook and Tua with one of the best left hooks ever, I could quite easily imagine Joshua drop that right hand one too many times and Tua knocking him spark out while behind on the cards.

Wilder would be interesting. Both basically allow their opponent to out box them and rely on their power to bail them out. But Wilder can probably out box the much shorter Tua just using his size much like he did vs Stiverne in the first fight. But the big difference is Stiverne was a natural counter puncher while Tua is more of a pressure fighter and if Molina can land the left hook to make Wilder do the stanky leg then Tua can definitely KO Wilder. Maybe it's a come from behind KO or it could a John Ruiz demolition job.

Whyte has no chance, even less than Wilder. If Chisora can land as much as he did and a shot Povetkin can KO him, Tua runs over him. I'm sure it will be exciting while it lasts with Tua pressing and Whyte boxing and trying to protect that chin but eventually he gets backed onto the ropes and gets violently KO'ed.

Ruiz Jr's style is all wrong when going up against Tua. He will walk right at him and if faded Arreola drops him and lands his inferior left hook as many times as he did, Tua has no problems. Andy will get off first with his fast hands but his fat ass has no way of avoiding what comes back as we saw vs Arreola, Tua KO's him, probably early.

15. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Even when Andy Ruiz beat Aj i favored a prime Tua over him by late KO or decision, now i think it would be an absolute massacre, just like he did that other Ruiz