If prime David Tua was active today where would he be in the HW picture?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MixedMartialLaw, Jul 9, 2021.

1. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Fury and Usyk would beat him. Everyone else would have to steer clear.

2. AngryBirds

AngryBirds Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2022
    If Tua was in his prime, the whole heavyweight division would be in a heap ton of trouble. I think everyone not named Usyk or Fury would get massacred by him.

Joshua - If Ruiz put him on wobbly legs, Tua either KO's or hospitalizes him. Joshua can't hurt him either given Tua has shown he can withstand hits from Lewis without any issue at all. There is nothing Joshua can hope to do against him other than run away.

Ruiz - Ruiz has faster hands and could outbox him, but if Tua gets in a few solid hits that will be the end of Ruiz considering the likes of Ortiz was able to put a hurting on him.

Wilder - Arguably the hardest hitting HW in history and has ridiculously range with that right hand, but I'm skeptical he has enough 1HKO power to ward off Tua, who arguably has the greatest chin next to the likes of Foreman and Ali. This could go either way but I see Tua outboxing him and putting Wilder down once he gets in up close.

Usyk - Undoubtedly he outboxes Tua and could beat him on points, but....Tua has a good chance of beating him too. The issue here is Usyk is vulnerable when going for body punches and thats not a good thing against a hard hitter like Tua. On top of that I don't think Usyk has the right physical strength needed to keep Tua off him should Tua get up close. This could go either way.

Fury - He's the only one who I think has a good shot of beating Tua. Aside from size, speed and possibly recovery advantage over Tua, he's quite clever and would likely win by having a good gameplan.

3. splatter69

splatter69 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I got Tua you got Joyce. Do we agree it would be a good fight or are you thinking boring / easy work?

Joeywill likes this.
  4. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Usyk, Fury and Joshua beat him. At least pre Usyk Joshua. (Joshua too skilled and disciplined to get caught by Tua’s hook). Joyce is 50/50. I think Tua beats the rest.

Joeywill likes this.
  5. Joeywill

Joeywill Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2021
    It would be rugged. I think good fight but just think Joyce wins off mainly the jab. Tua had a huge left hook but Joyce's chin is iron

6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone banned Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
  7. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Top 10, possibly top 5. He would lose horribly to Fury, Usyk, Joshua......anyone he couldn't catch up with. Honestly Wilder would probably 12-0 him too as he's shown he can actually be semi effective as a boxer against someone who can't box and is only looking to connect heavy.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Joeywill likes this.
  8. splatter69

splatter69 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Definitely a rugged fight. Tua had hot and cold moments at times but the Ruiz KO and the Ibeabuchi fight always are in my head lol. I see them going at each other and it’s hard to imagine either giving ground. As for Joyce’s chin it looks great so far but not quite as tested as Tua who had a cement head lol. If he fights Zhang we would have a clearer picture but as of now looks solid. Edge to Tua as of now but TBD

Joeywill likes this.