If Tyson faced Lewis in 1996 how does that go?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MixedMartialLaw, Sep 8, 2021.

1. MixedMartialLaw

MixedMartialLaw New Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    Many here know Tyson was supposed to face Lewis that year before paying him off with 4 million to side-step so he could face Seldon and importantly Holyfield.

However what if they did fight, how does Tyson do against Lewis at that time compared to their face off in 2002 and does Tyson do better against Lewis than he did against Holyfield?

cross_trainer likes this.
  2. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    I still think Lewis would beat Tyson had They fought in 1996, but IMO it would be a tougher fight since this Tyson was a bit faster than the one who got in the ring with the Lion in 2002 with a SLIGHTLY better gas tank.
    But yes They weren't so much different.
    Lewis was probably in his prime, but IMO hasn't reached his peak (which possibly was from 1999 till 2002) yet.
    Basically a fight between a slightly better tyson and a VERY slightly greener Lewis.
    I think the Lion would prevail, maybe by unanimous decision with Lewis nearly stopping Mike in the last round.

mr. magoo and MixedMartialLaw like this.
  3. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lennox stops Tyson in 10

4. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Was not that around the time Lewis barely got by Mercer?

Kamikaze likes this.
  5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think a fun scenario where everyone wins and loses is Tyson stops Lewis brutally in the first few rounds the first time in a Masterclass and then the second time gets dominated with relative ease to make things more frustrating have a third bout never happen and watch the forums burn.

“Lennox didn’t train for the first fight”
    “ Tyson didn’t train for the second”
    “Lennox was too cocky, look how he dominated the rematch”
    “When Tyson was on, he wrecked him”

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. RealDeal

RealDeal Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2009
    I think it probably goes about the same. I believe a prime, pre-prison, Kevin Rooney trained Tyson would have a good chance against Lennox though.

7. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Mercer and Tyson are two different fighters, i don't thind you'd see Tyson jabbing with Lewis and fighting him in the pocket

8. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Lewis stops that Tyson later in the fight. He looked horribly sloppy against Holyfield. Lewis would find his chin more than once.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  9. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Tyson was shot when he got outta the pen !!!! But in 96 he woulda had a much better chance of beating lennox then in 2002 .., Tyson was a walking corpse in 2002 ….. but lennox wins in 96 … but you never know !!!! But bring in a non prime Tyson ( who fought ruddock ) and he stops lennox no problem !!!

10. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    It would look different than their meet in 2002.

Tyson was quicker, more motivated, had better gas tank in 96. And he was about 15 lbs lighter.

Accordind to Tyson's book, Holy 1 and 2 fights were the last fights when he was training seriously. After that it was all downhill.

By 2002, Mike Tyson was cocaine-addicted for a few years already (since 98 or 99 I believe), he had lost his speed and his stamina was awful.

I'm not saying that 1996 Tyson was close to prime (he was not obviously) but he was still very explosive and quick.

In 2002 Mike Tyson looked like a punching bag since round 2 in the Lewis fight.

Lennox battered him, gave him a brutal beating winning clearly all rounds from 2 to 8, and eventually scored KO. It was complete mismatch, as one-sided as it could be.

Lewis may be the favourite against 1996 Mike, but the fight would be much more competitive and Mike has his chance early in the fight.