If Tyson Fury defeats Anthony Joshua twice where would you rank him among the HW GOATS?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by iloverachel, Jun 14, 2020.

Where would Fury rank if he defeats Joshua twice in impressive fashion?

1. Greatest of all time

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Top 5 greatest heavyweights of all time

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Top 10 greatest heavyweights of all time

29 vote(s)
    40.8%
  4. Top 15-20 greatest heavyweights of all time

18 vote(s)
    25.4%
  5. Top 20-30 greatest heavyweights of all time

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Top 30-50 greatest heavyweights of all time

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Outside the top 50 greatest heavyweights of all time

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. iloverachel

iloverachel Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2020
    If Tyson Fury beats Anthony Joshua convincingly and in impressive fashion (brutal KO or dominant decision), and then rematches him and dominates again, where would you rank him among the greatest heavyweights?

Where would you place him on the greatest HW boxers of all time? Who would you have ahead of him? Who would you place him beside?

Eastern Iron likes this.
  2. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    He's not beating someone like Joshua then getting elevated to the greatest, Joshua's manufactured, Fury will play with him though

3. willcross

willcross Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2006
    There's not option in the poll to place him 10-14, which is where I'd probably put him

Gatekeeper and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. Faceplant

Faceplant Lucky Full Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Given there have only been about 40 lineal heavyweight champions, he’s
    obviously not 50+. If he did what you say, I would struggle to leave him out of the top ten.

Eastern Iron likes this.
  5. miniq

miniq Big Stiff Idiot banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Fury easily beats AJ

And that's the point people aren't raising

Fury's "toughest" opponents all got taken apart by him. No contest.

Chisora, Wilder, Wlad soon to be AJ and Whyte.

These men can't hang with Fury.

Who you beat, When you beat them and how you beat them.

6. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 New Member Full Member

May 30, 2020
    Top 20, sure. Top 10? Probably not.

Fury's a victim of his generation. He's the highlight of a rather weak heavyweight division at the moment. Yeah, he beat one of the Klitschkos - who was nearly 40 years old at the time. He could end up beating Wilder twice, and he could very well beat Joshua twice. But are either of those guys GOAT-material? Not really. Both are respectable fighters, but neither is going down in boxing history with the likes of Ali, Foreman, Holyfield, Tyson, etc.

Also, after a 3rd Wilder fight and two joshua fights, he'd be 33-0-1 (assuming he won all 3). This is a really solid record, but I'd say he'd need at least a few more truly exciting title defenses before i'd put him in the top 10.

If only Fury could have been a boxer in the 90s.

7. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson “U should have been banned for life”-some fangirl banned Full Member

Mar 25, 2020
    I would definitely place him in the top 5 as he would have beaten 3 elite super heavyweights who else in the history of the division has done that ?

Eastern Iron likes this.
  8. DavidC77

DavidC77 Active Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Deontay Wilder - elite...?

9. chico g

chico g Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Top 20. Be realistic here. Beating Joshua doesn't amount to much these days. Ruiz climbed straight off the couch last year, after stuffing his face with a crate of donuts, and completely dismantled that useless bodybuilder!

10. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Active Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    If he beats Wlad, Wilder and Joshua, three very tall, rangy, KO artist heavies (Wlad highly skilled, Joshua quite skilled, Wilder very fast), then it says to me Fury would beat any of the past HWs people put on a pedestal. It would show he can deal with high skill, massive size, massive punchers. He's shown what he can do to shorter HWs.
    So I'd consider him the best because I'd imagine him beating anyone from the past.

But that's not how people try to put these things together. They make speculations about levels of opponents between eras, they make mythology about past champions and idols etc. I mean look at them now acting like Mike Tyson has a shot to come back and trouble ranked HWs, simply because they grew up with Tyson propaganda. So it won't matter what Fury does, too many people have decided old eras were more prestigious and therefore champions from those eras will always be worshipped and protected from being demoted. It's idiotic, but there you have it. Fury will be ranked below people like Frazier, Ali, Foreman, Holmes and all the usual suspects Fury would either clearly or likely beat.

11. Pakkuman

Pakkuman I'm not hot. I'm just BIG. banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2019
    Below Manny Pacquiao.

12. Jennifer Love Hewitt

Jennifer Love Hewitt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    If he beats Joshua twice then retires. I think 10-14, maybe just cracking into the top 10. If he beats Joshua, and throws a few defenses against ranked contenders and retires undefeated, he'd be a top 10 for sure.

I'd put more credit if he beat Joshua once then fought the next challenger. If the win is decisive, a rematch would be unnecessary from a fans POV and a historical POV.

13. Thor Odinson

Thor Odinson “U should have been banned for life”-some fangirl banned Full Member

Mar 25, 2020
    One of history’s hardest punchers who held a belt for 5 years

Wilder is definitely a top ten super heavyweight of all time therefore an elite one

pacas likes this.
  14. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

May 29, 2007
    AJ will win this fight in a great match up and battle for the ages. However if Fury does beat AJ twice then we shall have to say he is King Kong the best heavyweight of this era!

Eastern Iron likes this.
  15. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

May 29, 2007
    We are talking heavyweights not pound for pound.

jackson821_bjj likes this.