If tyson had been frazier?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Ok so if we put tyson in frazier timeline. Tyson turns professional, goes through exactly the same same opponents as Joe. How's he doing. I would say probably most people have him beating Ellis and buster for the title s. And can't see him struggling against Oscar. How does the fotc go,? Does he beat Ali convincingly, out point him or could ali actually beat some one not called Joe frazier? And if he gets past ali does foreman destroy him? Does the no swarmer can beat foreman apply to tyson here. And tyson is exactly the same age as Joe is in the timeline so foreman is actually younger than Mike. Just for a bit of fun...

2. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I think he dominates more than Frazier up until meeting Ali. I don't think Tyson had the stamina to put that relentless pressure on Ali late on like Frazier did. Ali stops Mike late on. Tyson would be blown out early against Foreman. Once the myth is burst Tyson would never be the same again.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Beats the same men as Frazier beat 1965 - 1970.
    Loses to Ali in 1971. Doesn't last the distance.

There's little left for him after that. Ali would have remained champion. Tyson's only hope of regaining the title is if Ken Norton becomes champion (by defeating Ali) and decides to fight Tyson before rematching Ali or defending against an undefeated Foreman. In which case, either Ali or Foreman get the title from Tyson soon after.
    If Tyson ever steps in the ring with Foreman in a non-title fight he's eliminated anyway.

But no one will forget how devastating he looked in his initial run 1965 - 1970, against decent but not great opposition.

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I suppose it would be like how tyson is looked at now between 86 and 90 where he looked invincible. And of course he would have to meet foreman at some point, chances are would have probably lost to a prime George

5. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Tyson brutalises all of Frazier's challengers,maybe even stopping Bonavena,until he meets a '71 Ali. As has been said,he would n't keep the consistent pressure on Muhammad or eating his punched as well as Frazier did. Ali stops Mike late in the bout. Foreman takes him out albeit a few rounds later than he did Smokin' Joe.

I like these threads of yours,Fergy.

6. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Other than your apparent loathing of Tyson, what is the basis of this prediction? (just curious)

7. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    My basis is that Tyson was tailor made for Foreman stylistically.......

8. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I guess I can see that argument if we're talking about post-Buster Douglas Tyson. Before that, Tyson had the head movement, speed, handspeed, and chin to last more than a few rounds with Foreman, at the very least.

9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Going straight at Foreman aggressively with short arms and a square-on stance isn't going to help anyone. Doesn't matter what head movement he might show against guys like Mitch Green in highlight reels. The reality of Foreman is completely different, he gets splattered. Unless of course Tyson elects to stick and move and dance around and use his speed that way, he won't have much hope against Foreman with his normal style.

10. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    So Tyson would have to fight in a style that he never used once to have a chance of beating Foreman, I'm sure the fanatics believe he would do that.

11. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Admittedly it's very highly unlikely. Tyson dancing and circling for round upon round, getting in and getting out with combos.
    Foreman was a monster at cutting off the ring anyway. So even a moment of unlikely genius like that from Tyson would probably end in quick disaster.

12. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    .... anything is possible though.

13. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012

Exactly, it's alright sticking your chin out for the likes of Mitch Green and Reggie Gross. You do that against Foreman and your heads getting knocked clean off......

14. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Assuming he maintains top form throughout his entire career, he'd go undefeated with Foreman being the only questionable fight.

The reality is of course different and he'd probably fall apart after beating Ali in 71, and would pick up some losses.

15. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    He aint beating no Ali.