If Usyk defeats Fury will he be considered the best HW if this generation?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Heavy_Hitter, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    And vise versa. If Fury beats Usyk will he solidify his status as number 1?

ButeTheBeast and Eastern Iron like this.
  2. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Well Usyk needs to get through a Joshua rematch first which isn't a given. A robbery isn't out of the realms if it goes 12 rounds.
    It depends really who fights moving forward. If Fury beat Usyk and then Joshua it would be hard to argue against his claim. Same with Usyk if he beats Joshua and then beats Tyson. At this point if everyone just retired then I think it's difficult to say as there's too many unanswered questions. So everyone needs a couple of wins fighting the other top 3 in the division. Wilder is out of contention due to lack of competition and unlikely if he fights again to fight the other top guys.

Col Mortimer and ipitythefool like this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    If you work under the premise that both he and Fury retire after their fight, yes, Usyk would be the generational number one, insane really given how few fights he has had at the weight.

Eastern Iron and Ngubu like this.
  4. Veerbone

Veerbone Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2021
    Yes. This era is defined by Wilder, Joshua, and Fury. If he beats two out of three (the best two), he's the best of this era.

5. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    In fury's case yes, yes and yes (though he gotta have to defend his undisputed title against some RANKED mandatory challengers in order to get the right be called a great fighter).
    Also usyk if he wins, then he would undoubtly solidify his status as the best of best. His career at cruiserweight already made a great fighter in my eyes.

Eastern Iron likes this.
  6. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I don't really see who you could rank above him. I suppose if AJ beat Fury after he might have a case because of more depth, but if he loses the Usyk rematch I'm not sure you could.

7. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Fury won't lose to a 36 year old cruiserweight

Only AJ & Wilder lose to him with their punchers chance.

AdamT likes this.
  8. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    If having three big wins means your the best of an era, it's a weak ass era.....

9. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    as to be
    and no it dont work the other way
    fury as vlad and wilder
    tis it really

10. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yes and I'd estimate he still has another 2-3 years left of prime or prime-adjacent stuff left in him, which is wild. If he does the deed and rides into the sunset as @McGrain says then yes, he is leaving no question, but the opportunity (and I think inclination) would be there for him to gild the lily.

11. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    ...but watch, five years on you'd have knuckleheads busting out revisionist larks such as "he ducked Wilder!" sort of how you now have people saying Kovalev ought to have made sure of things with Stevenson despite the fact that not a soul on earth including Stevenson himself ever doubted the outcome there had it happening worked out. :sisi1

(to be clear: Usyk as the man at HW after beating Fury is far more of a slam dunk than Kovalev as the man at LHW anytime during his run...but the latter was still a slam dunk that people are very silly to call into question now)

12. 007 373 5963

007 373 5963 Active Member Full Member

May 30, 2020
    At the very least i'd argue that if one of the big four can beat the other 3 guys, then without a doubt that guy would be the best. But so far all we have is Fury beating Wilder and Usyk beating AJ. If Fury beats Usyk, then I personally believe we'd still need to see Fury vs AJ, and if Usyk beats Fury then I believe we'd still need to see Usyk vs Wilder, assuming Wilder doesn't retire. In other words, after the unification bout, I personally believe there should still be one more fight afterwards to earn the unofficial title of "best of this generation." I'd be really happy to see either Fury or Usyk do it, and then ride off into the sunset and let the next wave of heavyweights make a name for themselves.

13. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Yes, of course. If he beats Fury i'd consider him as a Top 10 ATG at HW.

14. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Chisora....AJ....Fury... yep, that's top ten ATG material right there!

AdamT likes this.
  15. Your Mum

Your Mum Member Full Member

Jan 21, 2022
    Depends when this generation started and when it ends.