Ike Ibeabuchi v.s Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bad_Intentions, Jun 27, 2007.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'm reading through it

2. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    So I just watched Tua vs Ike, and I can see ways for both winning. Both had brilliant workrates and stamina, but it's clear who's was better. Marciano threw more punches and threw everything into his shots, Ike threw alot of punches with no power. I can see this fight going a few ways, both sides are downplaying the other guy.

There's certain similarities between the two, both had reliable chins (at least), both good infighters, both relatively slow, both were , both were inaccurate and could get wild. Then there differences are that Marciano was more powerful and aggressive whilst Ike was more fundamentally sound and versatile.
    So the outcome of this match depends on how Ike chooses to fight imo, as I can see a style that he has used that can get him a win.

This content is protected

Marciano comes out and Brawling using his superior workrate and conditioning to outwork Ike and with Ike stood there trading he lands his bombs with more ease than he's used to. The exchanges would be brutal, think the Layne fight but more competitive and less crude.
    It goes the distance, Marciano out hustles him to take a UD.

This content is protected

Ike fights like he did in the 9th round of the Tua fight then tieing Marciano up for minimal exchanges on the inside, the less he gets hit the better his chances are of taking a decision. He'd have to land his power shots at a distance and then start to chase Rocky down if he's hurt.
    I can see Rocky dropping enough rounds to lost a decision based on not landing as much and Ike's jab.

For me, the chances of these happening are 75-25 in Scenario 1's favour.

I see no reason to pick Marciano by KO however, in either scenario. Marciano didn't hit as hard as Tua imo, and Ike's chin is granite and his stamina is good enough to not breakdown under the Rock's pressure.

Marciano UD12/15

70sFan865, Rumsfeld, Oddone and 2 others like this.
  3. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You could say that Ike is unproven in a 15 rounder and that Marciano finally breaks him down in the championship rounds

That being said I don't believe that, and regard Ike as one of the very few people who could consistently go the distance with Rocco in a 15 rounder

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I did consider that, and I thought I mentioned it.

5. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I assumed you meant under a 12 rounder

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Perhaps the roof fell in on Ike's career at exactly the right time.

You have this incredible fight between him and Tua, and it looks like they might be the future of the division, but of course Tua goes on to be a bust.

Is it a big reach to think that the same could have happened to Ike, given his obvious issues?

One scenario, is that he gets demolished by Lewis, then goes into free fall!

7. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Tua didn't exactly go on to be a bust, though. He remained a good contender throughout his career. Either before or after Ibeabuchi, Tua beat at least three future belt holders -- Rahman, Ruiz, and Maskaev. Plus a few other people.

Journeyman92 likes this.
  8. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I’m going to inject my random uncalled for opinion and say one of the most impressive master classes at HW would be Archie Moore washing Ike out.

cross_trainer likes this.
  9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Perhaps my description was a bit unfair, but I expected more of him, and I think that others here did too.

swagdelfadeel and cross_trainer like this.
  10. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    He certainly didn't live up to his fantasy fight career in his real one.

swagdelfadeel and janitor like this.
  11. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    He watched men with much less potential hold a belt, and never held one himself.

Perhaps he didn't need one, if some people still think that he could beat Louis!

cross_trainer and swagdelfadeel like this.
  12. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Archie would get launched.

13. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Based on beating Byrd and cutting it close with a C grade sub par caveman. Sure.

70sFan865 likes this.
  14. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Moore was 41 when he fought Marciano, but otherwise you are spot on.
    Evidence of exact age when he fought [url]here[/url].

15. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    The problem I have with this analyses was Ike was very skilled, could box or brawl, & given his size I would have to favor Ike.
    Also Ike vs. Tua set a record for most punches thrown in a HW bout: & that includes 15 rounders.
    With Ike throwing the majority of the punches, I believe landing an average of over 80?
    So it is not plausible Rocky outlands him, although it might be close.
    Also I do not think Ike was mostly landing love taps lol!