Ike Ibeabuchi vs 1974 George Foreman

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Sep 11, 2018.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Ike is like a superhero. He dosnt really exist. People like the idea of him.

...then pft! he was gone.

The legend grew.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Are you talking about Ali? Coz that's one person in the strangest circumstances of a HW title fight I can think of. Foreman wasn't KOed due to power but exhaustion and an amazing game plan
    Than Foreman? Nah.
    Agreed
    What? When? How did he show he had more heart than Holyfield, Holmes, Ali, Frazier or Marciano?
    How? Coz he KOed Byrd? That's been done before...
    He didn't show for a second "good" defence against Tua. He was hit with the Overhand right and left hook over and over again. He was rocked by a few left hooks as well. Foreman would walk him down and beat him against the ropes until he crumbled and he would crumble

3. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    4 rd tko George foreman horrible style for Ike

4. daverobin

daverobin Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Totally agree with u !!!! Byrd n tua and that’s it !!!!! Donovan ruddock in his prime woulda stopped ike

choklab likes this.
  5. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
  6. MrFoFody

MrFoFody Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I remember watching Ike and I saw the future in him, salivating at all the possibilities vs , Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe.
    Unfortunately he gets a bit overrated with age as especially his punching power due to the Byrd ko. That was a very well placed shot with Byrd moving right into it.

Foreman would in no way be underchined vs Ike. The combos Holyfield dropped on oldman Foreman over 12 rds would have koed or at least dropped most heavies as they did iron chinned Mercer yet Foreman walk right through it all.
    Also, Foremans two fisted power is well proven across 3 decades. You can see it, from the 70's to the early 90's, guys were shaken to their core when he landed flush.
    No need to throw 900 punches when you carry a game changer in either hand.

Tua vs Ike, although a very entertaining match, was a classic example of guys smothering their work. Two guys throwing many shots with no leverage on them, while trying to defend at the same time.
    Now compare it to Foreman vs Lyle, those two were hell bent on exploding each others heads with every full power shot, caution thrown to the wind.

7. IrxnMike91

IrxnMike91 New Member Full Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Just watch his fights

8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I've watched his fight. I wasn't remotely convinced he beats an ATG

JC40 likes this.
  9. Muhammed_Ali_Durmaz

Muhammed_Ali_Durmaz Devon 2 banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Foreman’s the better boxer, better jab, better traps, better resume, which means he knows what it takes to win at the top level with that experience, he’d beat ibeabuchi either catching him early or just outjabbing him and keeping him too weary with his power

10. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    I don't hold this against him as he was a product of his era, but Ike was a damn walking science experiment sponsored by DuPont. No heavy carrying that much muscle should have that level of stamina to throw haymakers all night long without gassing.

He was 20 plus pounds heavier than prime George and had the conditioning of a light heavyweight. It's not a particularly friendly styles matchup for George despite him being the clearly greater heavyweight historically. The difference in conditioning that stands out to me in what I see as a slugfest.

I wouldn't bet on it at all. It's either Foreman by the mid-rounds if Ike can't take his power, or Ike knocks him out after 7 IMO.

11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    That last sentence you took it too far. That is doubtful.

JohnThomas1 and George Crowcroft like this.
  12. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I used to hold the iq of classic a notch or two above the rest...but to have people question Foremans power has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on this forum. I guess Tyson and Lewis were feather fisted because Holyfield thought an old Foreman puncher harder then they did

JohnThomas1 and George Crowcroft like this.
  13. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    This meeting would be awesome. For the first time, Foreman meets a power*chin level near the league of his own.

After trading a little with this rock-chinned hitter, Foreman might even choose to use his jab here. Problem would be Ike´s stamina.

I wouldn´t even bet a penny on anyone here, everything could happen.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Foreman`s jab was better, even in the 70`s.

15. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Pedigree means nothing to you.

In 1974, Foreman was the stand out worlds best.

Ike was never more than a question mark.