Ike Ibeabuchi vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jay1990, Mar 10, 2019.

1. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Time the count yourself. Another ref WOULD have counted 10 over a “flat on his back” Buster.

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Anyone with any idea of boxing or impartiality knows the 10 count is seldom a 10 count. It's been witnessed infinite times throughout history. you backed yourself into a corner and refuse to admit it.

At any rate the referee's count is final.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    All referees counts vary slightly,but the only one that has any relevance is that of the third man actually officiating on the night!

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Exactly ! And his dishonest spin won't ever change that! He has lost any semblance of respect from me ,which probably doesn't concern him in the least but it's a fact. He has one ally here Mendoza ,if it were me , I'd be mortified to have that bigoted ,lying cretin on the same side as myself.
    Lie down with dogs ,get up with fleas!

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    You are the last person in the world to be talking about shameless behaviour.

6. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes the referees count is absolutely final in Boxing. When I was a boxing official for the ABA there was a rule whereby a referee can continue his count and count out the fighter on his feet. The referees count is also final in that situation. The result is officially recorded as a C.O. (Count out) and this is still the sport of boxing -albeit by amateur code. There are many varying rules even in professional boxing. Three knockdown rule. One judge. Non scoring referees. It’s still boxing.

The bottom line is Joe Frazier is not a powder puff puncher at heavyweight because of a slow count in a fight that could easily be a count out anyway.

Does anyone seriously feel Thomas Hearns was NOT knocked out by Marvin Hagler? Do people say “I remember when Hearns was stopped by Hagler” I don’t think they do. Hagler flattened Hearns. Just like Frazier flattened Mathis.

7. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Evidently you don't know what a KO and TKO is.

mcvey likes this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Fraziers punching power is not the issue!
    The issue is, was Mathis defeated by a ko or by a tko ? And everyone knows it was a tko! The fact that you cannot reconcile yourself to that and admit it just reflects on you.Zero credibility from now on,get used to it!

9. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes I do know the difference. I did a whole course in it then officiated in hundreds of events. Did you?

10. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Yes it is the issue. Your saying because his win over big Buster Mathis officially went down as a TKO and not a KO Frazier can’t knockout Superheavyweight sized men. Frazier absolutely flattened a bigger man than Ike Ibeabuchi. Get over it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    And you still haven't got a clue - seriously. Keep digging that hole deeper tho.

12. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    This is simply untrue. Mathis was on his back for about 5 seconds. There is irrefutable proof of this on film.

13. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Ha ha.

I haven't a dog in this fight as I like JT, Mcvey (despite our differences from time to time) and Choklab and have really enjoyed reading all of you guys posts for years.

That said I agree with JT and Mac here. It was a legit TKO because Mathis (somehow) beat the count. It doesn't matter how many seconds he was down for the only count that matters is the refs. It's the same logic Tyson crybaby's resort to when they try to excuse the Douglas loss. It doesn't matter how many seconds Douglas was down for he got up, clearly and clear headed at the refs count of 8, end of story and absolutely no controversy.

That said Mathis was buggered. If Mercante had'vd let it continue then Buster would have surely been KO'd just as Ellis would've if Dundee had've let him out for the fifth round in their first fight. They were officially TKO's but they were pretty damn definitive ones for Frazier.

14. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    Well thank you for this. Frazier had Knockout power. And this debate about TKOs is a (probably deliberate) sidetrack from real issue of people trying to relegate Joe Frazier into a guy who isn’t proven enough to knockout big men.

You can’t relegate Joe Frazier into a lesser puncher than he was when we have the film evidence of what he did to Mathis and Ellis. He flattened those guys. Their heads nearly came off.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  15. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I think Frazier hit bloody hard though I fall into the "he was an attrition puncher" camp.

He simply wore guys down. He threw punches that were as hard in round 15 as they were in round 5. Not a lot of fighters can claim that and it's what makes me class him as a great puncher in totality, rather than a great one punch puncher.

It's what made him effective and those attributes make him a tough nights work for any fighter (with the exception of Foreman and maybe a couple of others in history). I'd back him to wear down and stop some of the big guys and big name fighters of today as well, especially if they had to compete with him over 15 rounds.

Glass City Cobra, Cecil and choklab like this.