Ike ibeabuci vs Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Mar 11, 2019.

Who Wins?

1. Ike Points

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Dempsey Points

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Ike KO

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Dempsey KO

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Personally I feel both Dempsey is heavily overrated (unpopular I know) but the way people talk about Ike on here is like he had super powers.
    Prime for Prime (ish for Ike) who wins over 12

I'll do my quick breakdown

Ike had a good jab, Great Chin and an underrated uppercut.
    Dempsey had good power, a good chin, was very accurate and could fight like a mad man on the inside.

I feel Dempsey slipped the jab with the best of them and could flurry with them as well. His skillset is excellent to nuetralize Ike's jab (like Frazier in the other post). However Ike's uppercut would catch Dempsey damn near every time and would be a constant problem for him. However the pace this fight would be at would be ferocious. I'd pick Dempsey due to him being able to fight his fight and Ike has showed nothing he'd be able to cope with his hand speed but it's actually quite close

If these two were to exchange it'd be very entertaining and most is not likely to end in a stoppage.

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If we are to be realistic here...

3. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I know but the Frazier Ike brought up good conversation

4. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Dempsey UD, but who knows, this may end up being another Willard situation

5. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    :lol:

6. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Please! Please just call the shrink! :nut::copas:

7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    We would have to favor Dempsey.

Ike was never much more than a very promising contender.

He might have been the GOAT, or he might have been another David Tua style bust.

8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Why? How do you think Ike wins? If you do.

9. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Dempsey has some speed advantage, but the short brutal necked tyson-shaped 6'2" fellow won´t really care about Dempseys sharp, but not that powerful punches. On the other hand, Dempsey will feel heavyhandness he rarely felt before on evry jab and every punch whatsover. Every clinch with that behemoth will cost alot of energy. Well, both need energy in the clinch right? Sure, but one guys has 40 pounds plus over the other.
    And that 40 pounds+ guy is everything else then known to tire late! Round 6 has come and that huge fellow is just continuing his game!!?? Ooopps! Thats no good news for the quick footed sharpshooter!

Dempsey won´t look that bad at the beginning, but things will terribly go downhill from then on. That bulletproof behemoth just won´t stop coming at the smaller, good moving sharpshooter.

You do the math.

10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I did do the maths, read the OP the only way Ike wins convincingly is by KO and Dempsey wasn't going to let him get his jab going, he'd duck and twist using hooks to counter. Ike's right would be dangerous to throw as a left hook to the ribs and a shoddy connection (if any) would be all he gained. Jack has almost every stylistic match up here, the only shot Ike could trouble him with is the right uppercut, and since when was Ike this dynamite puncher you make him out to be? Because he stopped Byrd? That's been done before. And Dempsey would also do that. His power was more than decent (not ATG) but more than enough to cause a problem to Ike's body. Dempsey's stamina is overlooked here, he didn't tire in the Tunney fights way past his prime, so why would a prime Jack tire in a 12 rounder?

Do that maths

The Malibu Mauler likes this.
  11. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Big tough guys all through dempseys life had a way of being splattered on very consistant basis.....no different here.....but ike is overrated and wasn't that tough.....guys here who never really boxed and love men with big muscles are poorly informed ...no doubt

12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Where would you go in Dempsey's resume to find anyone remotely like Ike... a ridiculous physical specimen with a power, an iron chin, good punch arsenal, skills, stamina and top notch output?

What are the elements that Dempsey brings that cannot be found in Ike's resume? And don't give the "championship demeanor" or similar HS. Can you imagine the elements Ike would display had he to defend against the likes of Carpentier and Gibbons and Brennan?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Pat M likes this.
  13. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Please to list those big, tough guys Dempsey faced so that we can compare to Ike,

Did you infer that you actually boxed? Let me sit down cross legged and starry-eyed so that you can tell me tales!

14. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I must say that this is one of my favorite posts lol....but I spit my cereal all over the table when I laughed so I must go clean it up. Thanks

GOAT Primo Carnera, Russell and Pat M like this.
  15. The Malibu Mauler

The Malibu Mauler Lakers in 5 Full Member

Oct 2, 2018
    This would be an exciting fight. Personally, I think the left hook from hell would end the fight late, but it could go to the cards. But man, this "Dempsey didn't fight anyone tough" downplay is getting out of hand. It's almost like Firpo, Willard or Fulton didn't exist...