Ike Quartey vs Marlon Starling

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Cobra33, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    The more I watch Quartey the more I think Starling could have outpointed Quartey.
    Quartey had an excellent jab but have you ever noticed he doesn't double up on it at all?I think Starling,who has the faster hands,would be able to counter Quartey and win a close decsion.

2. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Member Full Member

May 20, 2007
    Marlon was a one of my favorite fighters, I knew he was limited and not an elite fighter but I thought he was a true boxer in the real since of the word. I think Ike's power would be a factor early but the longer it goes I think Starling gains the edge and wins SD.

3. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    I diagree.Starling was an elite fighter.He just didn't have a crowd pleasing style.
    He was a 2 time champion who nobody ever knocked down or out.

4. Boro chris

Boro chris Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Thomas Mollinares. He did have to wait for the round to end though.

5. buzzsaw

May 20, 2007
    I would have called him elite if he had been the total package, lack of power cost him many close fights, but I did say that I thought he was a "true" boxer, and he boxed the best during his era.

6. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    Willie Pep,Whitaker all didn't have power either but that didn;t keep them from being alled an elite boxer.

7. buzzsaw

May 20, 2007
    True! But did these 2 boxers ever lose to their equals/peers as Marlon did to Nunn or Blocker? What powderpuff punchers beat Pep? Whitaker?

8. unitas

unitas Boxing Addict Full Member

May 12, 2007
    since when was nunn one of starling "peers"??? last i looked he was a huge middleweight....more of a supermiddleweight!!

starling was just a welter. to lose on points to a fighter so much bigger who was also considered among the top ten pound for pound at the time is a pretty good achievement.

and the blocker fight was in starlings last outing.......and after the nunn loss. who says that he didnt just lack motivation.

9. buzzsaw

May 20, 2007
    I recant the Nunn comparison it was not an accurate comparison.

10. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    And the Blocker bout was a SPLIT DECISION.I actually thought Starling had done enough to win.

11. Rattler

Rattler Middle Aged Man Full Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Ike peek-a-boo's and jabs his way to a SD.

12. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  13. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Magic Man by 11th round stoppage.

14. Tony

Tony New Member Full Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Starling was Winky Wright before Winky figured out how to do it. Quartey might have been more energetic at his welter peak than he is these days, but not enough to make a difference against that style.

If you were close enough to Starling's size to allow him to comfortably counterpunch from the peekabo stance without reaching, you were in for an uncomfortable evening.

Starling by UD.

15. Moneyman

Moneyman Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I agree Starling is underrated. He just didn't have a crowd pleasing style but he was very effective and had was never ligitamatly knocked down.