Ilunga "Junior" Makabu - could the best h2h CW (with Usyk & Gassiev now at HW) maybe not be in WBSS?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jun 16, 2019.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Whom are you addressing here, me or Scott?

I never said this was a knee-jerk conclusion solely based on today's result. More a cumulative thing, after taking a holistic look at his body of work: Kucher, Mchunu, Mabika, Johnson, Fields, Venter and now Kudryashov makes for seven okayish-to-good wins, none great or elite.

And the headline from today isn't really being able to shatter Kudryashov's glass; the point is taking a few rounds' worth of his shots to get it done and never going down in the process.

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  2. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    I’m saying I can’t see an argument to have Makabu as the best CW now based off his resume and this win in particular. He was KTFO by Bellew. Usyk destroyed Bellew and had a very close fight with Briedis. Logically Briedis is the man to beat in the division. Makabu still has a lot to prove before anyone can argue that he’s the best around.

3. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I've always liked Makabu from the Glen Johnson fight, and later when he KOed the super tricky Mchunu I started to really rate him. The Bellew loss was a big blow to him, but to his credit he's managed to work his way back up, and I'd favour him against almost anyone in the division right now. Some very good matchups for him in the near future: Glowacki and Dorticos would be barnburners.

4. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Yeah, Briedis is pretty much head and shoulders above everyone else in the division right now, but Makabu could fit in very nicely just a level or so below him.

5. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Goulamirian would probably beat this version of Makabu IMHO, even though Makabu is much more proven.

Blue Bomber, CST80 and UnleashtheFURY like this.
  6. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kudryashov is always one punch away from victory. Just whenever he steps up it doesn't land before he gets destroyed first.

7. Vysotskyy

Vysotskyy Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Not remotely.

Before this win he was viewed as a fringe top 10 CW and gatekeeper type for the elite of the division.
    I would still view him that way since beating Kudryashov doesn't indicate anything beyond that. I would be cool with him having a shot at a top 5 guy though. Personally i would love to see Makabu vs Lebedev or Vlasov.

Glowacki along with the top 4 guys listed below are more or as worthy for a shot against a top 3 guy.

Lebedev
    Vlasov - Durodola, Sillakh, Chakhkiev, Merero, Daley, Nascimento
    Cieslak - Durodola, Kalenga, Palacios, Radchenko, Rosberg, Cox
    Lerena - Kalenga, Kucher, Golovashchenko, Mann, Merero, Nielson,
    Egorov - Oosthuzien, Kayode, Golovashchenko, Nascimento Ventura (9 fights)

Don't have the depth of resumes but noteworthy contender or prospect mentions.

Bejenaru, Papin, Szello, Goulamirian, Kashinsky, Gevor, Mchunu, Perez, Tervel Pulev

CutThroatFade likes this.
  8. guncho

guncho next champion! Full Member

Oct 15, 2007
    they almoust had doble kd in first round both landed with left hooks Kudryshov went down Macabu did break dance.

This content is protected

8:30

Dangerwood84 likes this.
  9. _Scott_

_Scott_ Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 7, 2015
    According to IB, Makabu was just mildly stunned.. Nothing too bad.

This content is protected

10. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Makabu has one awkward footwork ffs. I thought a few times he's wobbling but it was just his strange footwork & balance. Very, very odd. I think this isn't gonna end well vs. faster and sharper punchers.

UnleashtheFURY and _Scott_ like this.
  11. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    My 2 cents, yeah, Makabu was a split second away from going down, credit to him for somehow mustering the strength to stay on his feet. He got rocked pretty badly a few times in the match, but like Barrera from the Hart match, remained standing.

As far as your OP goes @IntentionalButt As you know, I'm a huge Makabu fanboy, I'm thrilled he pulled it off today, that being said, Kudryashov has the ring IQ of a drunken gnat, it's not all that hard to avoid incoming bombs from someone who telegraphs his shots and has pretty slow handspeed. Also, its not very hard to land on someone with so little self awareness that thinks he's a Mayweather clone, all the while doing his best Ronda Rousey shadowboxing impersonation. Also Dmitry's chin is certified china at this point, he's the new Chakhkiev.

And who would win? Briedis knocks Makabu unconscious in 2. Dorticos hospitalizes him. No contest.

CutThroatFade and Dangerwood84 like this.
  12. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    To be honest , I still find it hard to believe Bellew beat Makabu . I lost big money on that fight. He doesn't seem a whole lot different from Dmitry obviously everything you mentioned but like Kud , if he doesn't get you early , he's gonna go!

UnleashtheFURY and CST80 like this.
  13. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Bellew is a lot more savvy than DK, and is a decent counter puncher, if you give him the opportunity, he'll take it, and make you pay, and Makabu gave him far too many, because he didn't think he could be hurt by him. That being said, like you, I find it hard to believe as well, but as @IntentionalButt stated, I think Makabu would play it safer, and win in a rematch.

Serge likes this.
  14. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Probably more like a late stoppage for both guys but yeah point taken - after those guys and Glowka, however, there's probably room for him to be among the "best of the rest". Lebedev is almost certainly going to retire soon, and I'm not 100% convinced that Cieślak would be ready to beat Junior h2h yet.

CST80 likes this.
  15. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Personally, I think they should bring him to the UK and feed him to Okolie.:naughty2:

He doesn't match p with with Glowacki, they're both southpaws, so he wouldn't have many of the advantages he possesses against orthodox fighters, that one is 50/50, I lean Glowacki, because I think he has the slightly better chin. Same goes for Denis... although he's far more beatable than he was even 2 years ago. Cieślak I'm still not entirely convinced that he's world level, 60/40 in Makabu's favor.

As far as the rest, I think Mike Perez could give him issues, depending on how good his chin is, and I think its pretty good, Goulamirian as well. Stylewise, Gevor could prove nightmarish. And I'd give Askin a chance and sadly yes.. Lerena might be able to pull off a win here. But other than that, I'm pretty sure he beats the rest.

A Mchunu rematch would be fun, the first was awesome, and they're both in decent form, bring i on.