I'm 30 yrs old...is it too late to start?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Sushix, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Sushix

Sushix Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hi all. I've always wanted to join a gym and learn to box, but I'm 30. Is it too late. what's my chances of going anywhere?

2. Bazooka

Bazooka Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me Full Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Honestly to start as an amateur and go pro probably your best bet is to settle for the Amateur program and forget about going pro and if you do decide to go pro well get your ass to a good gym basicly you will have to jump in the frying pan

3. the prom queen

the prom queen bitter and clinging Full Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Im starting to train again at 30
    I think at thirty the best thing to do is get teh minimal, if any am experience requ8ired to go pro and join a good gym and spar with pro fighters; then fight 4 round clubfights, but realize you are learning on the job and the lurning curve in the pro's includes a lot of L's on your record possibly, and some embarassing moments and take it for what it is, just doing something you enjoy and making the occasional buck
    thats what Im trying to do now

4. Luckyboy

Luckyboy Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2008
    go for it whats the worst that can happen

5. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    No, it's not too late. You have five years as an amateur left, make the most of it.

6. Bazooka

Oct 23, 2005
    I wouldnt advise you to turn pro you dont have much time left to be honest with you and the safest bet is to fight Amateur besides Amateur boxing is the sport of boxing, Professional boxing is a business.

7. OuterDrake

OuterDrake Guest

I send George Foreman an email asking if 20 years old
    was too old to start boxing, at his official website.

He replied...

"Hey Alex,

Twenty years is a wonderful time, to start boxing; this is the age young men start thinking; when one can learn. less chance of doing stupid things, and getting hurt.

Go for it!

Thanks,
    George Foreman"""

At 30 you wont be doing stupid things, like sparring without gloves.

8. the prom queen

the prom queen bitter and clinging Full Member

Feb 18, 2008
    would you say that in the am's there is more emphasis than in the pros about putting fighters together with comprable skill levels and experience?

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Active Member Full Member

Sep 24, 2007
    no its not too late, but i cant see you being very successfull in competition but you will get fit and learn some moves!

10. Bazooka

Oct 23, 2005
    Becuase in the ams if you want to be the best you have to fight all of the best that is how it goes in the pros you can BS your way out of fighting the very best basicly its all a show its a form of entertainment these guys they fight for big money but Amateurs they train and fight simply for the W and the W alone:good

11. cheech

cheech Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Not for people that have CareBear avatars!

12. Sushix

Sushix Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2007
    lol you know you love the CareBears!

13. cheech

cheech Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Maybe when I was trying to get some stank on teh hang low back in kindergarden days.... You do anything to get some action even at age 7 or whenever kindergarden age was.

14. pugilist_boyd

pugilist_boyd BUSTED UP PUG Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    you will have to train hard and really phocus on strategy insted of just banging yull fight alot of younger guys but with enough training you can get almost as fast and just as strong it changes with each person but on average a fighters prime is 18-28 then he loses some reflex time and by 35 theres a more dramatic decline in reflexes-but bottom line with enough will at 30 its not to late at my last amateur fight we were in line fighters were disscusin age and when i replide i would be 30 in 2 months a couple of them started laughing including my opponent, most were about 20-22 .i walked threw prob. 30 shots getting to him to land my barrage of bodyshots and hooks wich got me the easy decision he was younger,faster,smoother,but i had more (HEART)and thats what really matters,im out at 30 because of knee surgery and my wife is pregnant so in 3 years when our kid will be easy to handle ill be 33 and im going to give it 1 more year and nobody will tell me its to late so go for it bro

15. Jazzo

Jazzo Non-Facebook Fag Full Member

Feb 5, 2006
    No.

Start.

Good chance.