I'm a pro boxer; any questions about pro boxing let me know?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by brown bomber, Jan 22, 2013.

1. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Just educated myself properly when I was young. Taken responsibility for my own learning.. I'd also say I wish I'd not wasted time with unproductive people.

Just coaching people mate... I want to make a champion from start to finish. From first time in the gym to winning and defending titles. No one I know looks at boxing the way I do. I just want to get busy - got some good lads and the lads I'm involved with have won 80% of their fights but I want more...

2. daly5050

daly5050 Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I know this question is very individual but I'll ask anyway

Let's say you are training a lad who has decided he wants to to pro, what experience, achievements, years training ect would you like or expect him to have before you 'support' his decision?

3. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    If I'd trained someone and knew that they would be safe being a pro then I would encourage it. Some people simply aren't good/tough enough

But safety is paramount

4. pichuchu

pichuchu Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Two questions.

1) how important would you say a trainer is? When i started boxing i had i wouldnt say bad trainers but not great trainers and lost most of my fights. How much should i blame them and how much should i say was just me?

2) would having a high amount of losses ( was 2-8 in my 1st 10) on my record make it stupid for me to turn pro even if i win the aba's later in my career? (was due to be in the aba this years but injured myself in dec)

5. oatman12345

oatman12345 Active Member Full Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Would you say you have to be tough as an amateur and how good is good enough to be a pro?

6. ChechenGirlific

ChechenGirlific Caucasus Full Member

Dec 31, 2012
    What is your name , and do you have videos on youtube with images of your matches or trainings ?

7. How many tickets did you sell on your debut?

8. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Whenever you want pal :good

9. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    1) addressed this earlier

2) it's not how you start, it's how you finish

10. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Yes you have to be fairly tough to be a good amateur but its more about speed and athleticism then pro boxing.

Good enough to be pro... Is someone who knows the basics properly.

11. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Not sure.. Strange question. Not very many. :good

12. paloalto00

paloalto00 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Ever since I started boxing 2 years ago, I keep getting BAD nerves even thinking about boxing. Even sparring I get sick, I'm not a bad boxer but I'm always worried about looking foolish. I get anxiety just from thinking about fighting or sparring. Is there any way to cope with this?

13. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    For me I used to think of the worst possible outcome of a situation then convince myself that I could deal with it. Don't be afraid of negative thoughts. Let them in - control them and then go to work.

14. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Anxiety and excitement are the same energy. It's just how you perceive it. If you perceive it as a positive and that your body is getting ready for combat then it manifests as excitement. If you view it as unwanted then it just becomes dread and anxiety.
    Accept it and change how you view it. When you think about something it is essentially the same as doing it, when you think about it you're telling your body to respond. That's why you can be sitting in your lounge room, think about something and then be buzzing and full of adrenaline.
    Try visualisation, imagine yourself sparring and fighting and picture yourself as being calm and in control. When you get excited thinking about boxing take some deep breaths and repeat a word such as 'calm' or 'relax' to yourself. Don't be afraid of your energy, you can raise or lower it through your thoughts and breathing patterns. If you're worried about looking foolish or a past performance then you're not in the moment. Practice focusing on what you're doing right now, stress is just worrying about things you can't control. You can't control it so why worry?
    If you're sparring and you make mistakes, have a bad round or whatever then just take a second to tell yourself 'STOP'. Flush the past away down the toilet, let it go and start again, refocus. You can make a bad round a bad fight if you don't let it go. Continuously let it go, focus on what you're doing right now.
    The reason why Andre Ward is so good is because he constantly practices focusing, practice your psychological skills. You can't just turn it on at fight time, you need to practice your psychological skills everyday to develop them. Whenever you hit the bag or do anything practice improving your focus. That's how you develop mental strength, and that's Ward's biggest strength imo.

15. Tar Baby

Tar Baby Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Brown Bomber or anyone else out there
    Have you ever felt a shot go down your leg and feel like 'Yeah, I've lost a few brain cells after that one'