I'm not convinced that Prime Foreman hit any harder than Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Totally agree with you.

Both were very slow in my opinion.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  2. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Actually Foreman's accuracy was very high if you look at the actual punch/connect rate stats instead of just highlights of his knockouts or judging hus career based solely on the Ali fight.

He fought at a very calm and methodical pace until his opponent was badly wobbled or hurt. This idea that he was simply a reckless slugger who threw wild shots from the opening bell simply has no basis in reality, as @RulesMakeItInteresting pointed out.

Ruddock didn't have power in his right hand, abandoned his jab, didn't consistently attack the body, was a sloppy finisher, and couldn't spell combination if he had a gun to his head. The comparison to Foreman is honestly silly other than both of then being tall strong guys who hit hard.

Bruno was a boxer puncher with a cautious style and a background in traditional Britiish upright boxing.

3. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    when did Ali get brutally knocked out? It happened to Lennox twice as a prime fighter.

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This is what makes any version of George a serious threat to even Steward-era Lewis. Prime Foreman was many times the puncher Rahman was (though Rahman was of course faster). If Lewis tries to be cute, he won't get back up.

I just factored in the fact that Holyfield never got stopped, or even badly beaten by Lewis, in 24 rounds....not sure how germane that is to this topic, but that fact has always haunted me, and keeps me from rating Lewis over Foreman as ATG in my top 10.

5. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yes, but the major premise of Tyson being stopped is that Tyson almost immediately wilts under Foreman's power. Shavers was said to be a harder hitter than Foreman, but curiously, I never have seen anyone say that should Shavers connect on Tyson, that is the beginning of the end.

So these "Tyson is stopped in 5 or less rounds" predictions is just wishful thinking. Unless Tyson is just walking straight forward with his chin high in the air, it's not something that I see as probable. Now, if you were talking about Foreman out Boxing Tyson while using lateral movement and landing crisp combinations like Holyfield and Douglas, well that's different. But Foreman didn't fight like that.

Also, I'd like to know what happens when 70s Foreman eats a Tyson combination. He didn't exactly walk through Ron's punches. And as an aside I think Lyle is a tough opponent for any version of Foreman because it couldn't help but to devolve into a slug fest. It's not like 74 Foreman would use his Whitaker like boxing skills to befuddle Lyle.

I think Tyson hit harder than Lyle in addition to just being a better overall puncher. But even if you don't think he hit harder (which I don't know why you wouldn't) you have to say that Tyson at the very least was equal to Lyle in punching power.

6. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Yeah I'm still waiting for you to show me these straw man arguments you're claiming of people saying Tyson wilts as soon as Foreman hits him. Even Frazier got up multiple times before being stopped. Only a fanboy would claim Tyson gets stopped from one clean shot.

A KO in 5 rounds isn't exactly early nor it it honestly unrealistic if both guys are slugging it out considering they both hit hard as hell.

No one says shavers beats Tyson outside of a punchers chance because he's a much worse boxer than tyson and has a bad chin, along with worse technique, speed, and ring IQ. Because new flash: power isn't everything in boxing and styles make fights. Shavers and Foreman are completely different boxers and are also very different in terms of size and style.

Foreman doesn't need to get on his toes and attempt to outbox a short guy who can't fight backing up. Tyson would constantly get outmuscled, outmaneuevred, pushed back, and re directed into looping uppercuts. It would simply be a matter of time. Foreman was an expert at dealing with short aggressive guys who come forward. If anything Tyson would have to be the one to change his style and back off because he isn't winning this by coming forward trying to trade blows. Tyson never experienced someone refusing to back up and who was too strong to push back, someone who'd be landing serious body shots and testing his stamina more than anyone. The closest we got to that was Holyfield who didn't hit half as hard as Foreman nor was he as aggressive, but you never want to talk about that but you'll gladly cherry pick the Lewis fight when it's convenient.

7. Johnny_B

Feb 8, 2020
    Ali never got hit with the shots Lewis got hit with. Lewis was KOd by guys who hit a lot harder than Cooper, who sent Ali to dreamland.

8. Johnny_B

Feb 8, 2020
    Foreman will never land a body shot on Tyson, not in a million years.

9. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Do you think Oliver McCall and Rahman hit harder than Earnie Shavers and Sonny Liston? I want a yes or no answer.

10. Johnny_B

Feb 8, 2020
    Than Shavers, yes.
    Than Liston, no.

But you do not seem to understand the points I was making:
    This content is protected

11. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Wow so McCall and Rahman hit harder than shavers. We're done here.:lol:

12. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    :facepalm:

13. gottagivafight

gottagivafight When you least expect it, expect it!!! banned Full Member

Jun 14, 2008
  14. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    All respect, but I personally believe that. I think Mike's best bet would be a bit like a Quarry result, where Shavers leaves himself way too open way too early. Mike could certainly register a 1st round ko of Earnie, but I can also see Shavers hanging in there and catching him in two or three. Not completely sure about the beginning of the end, but Mike would most certainly be taking the hardest shot of his career. Even Lewis didn't hit quite that hard.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  15. Johnny_B

Feb 8, 2020
    I've said this a million times, Shavers's punching power is extremely exaggerated.