Implications of Canelo beating Kovalev

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by acie2g, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    acie2g,

GG could not have fought the names that Canelo has.

He couldn't fight below MW.

Yes, he could have moved up, but his goals were to accomplish all he could at MW.

Now be both know that Cotto, Martinez and BJS wouldn't fight him. Neither would Froch. So if you added them to his resume, it would obviously look a hell of a lot better than it currently does.

Again, Canelo deserves credit for taking on Kovalev, even if he is faded.

What do you mean "do something worth a damn to make people want a rematch"?

People do want a rematch.

Most people believe that he won at least one of those fights.

elbonzoseco and HerolGee like this.
  2. elbonzoseco

elbonzoseco Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    What opponents could GGG have faced? Sturm didn't want him, Martinez, Cotto, Quillin as well. He had to overpay Jacobs to get him into the ring. He agreed to Ward, but Ward needed "time" and only proposed a fight when GGG moved on. Also, Ward was on his way to LHW. He wanted Canelo when he was closer to his prime, yet he still beat him when he was passed it. Froch didn't want him either. So what megafight was there for him?

3. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    Who's concept?

HerolGee likes this.
  4. acie2g

acie2g Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2010

This is factually incorrect, Cotto our his own mouth said he waant a real MW but had no problem facing GGG at 156/7 GGG refused, Martinez out his own mouth wanted GGG after Cotto and just got beat by Cotto, Could have fought Canelo at 155 when he first won the title, could have fought Lara at 154 or 60 when he said his 54-68 claim and Lara called him out, Froch called him out before the first Groves fight and GGG said no and it wasnt until Froch had been solidly retired that GGG wanted a piece, Ward made GGG a 2 fight offer(the same exact deal Kovalev signed) one which both fighters would take an interim bout then fight after GGG said no talking about unification and stuff like that even though he still could have unified with Lemieux and fought Ward after but he refused while Kovalev said yes... stop with the excuses and before you start talking about catch weights and all that bs... the fighter you criticize in Canelo has gone down in weight, gone up in weight, even taken less money to make fights... GGG hasn't if you want the best fights you have to take a risk at some point. Even right now all Canelo said was win a belt this sap GGG waited until Canelo was stripped to try and win a vacant title instead of facing one of the actual Champs... GGG is a cupcake the only person ducking and taking easy fights is GGG.

5. acie2g

Jul 21, 2010
    First if I seem aggressive or defensive my bad I'm just a sports fan who is passionate about sports so don't think anything of it.
    But GGG out his own mouth said 54-68 then when he started getting called on tried to back track and cherry pick saying only thing guy or that guy.
    But Canelo-Kova is at 175,Chavez who was a big name even if he wasn't a great fighter was at 164, Mayweather was at 152, Cotto was at 155... point being GGG could have fought Lara at 154 who would still be one of GGG top opponents, Cotto at 156/7 when Cotto offered, before Chavez Canelo had never fought above JMW, if GGG was willing to do a cw he could have taken Khan slot and got the fight a year and a half earlier. Ward made him an offer for a fight at 168 that would have taken place after GGG-Lemieux and GGG refused there is plenty of space for him to take a risk

Just going off my card I had it a draw and a win for Canelo in the reup, while the 2nd fight was entertaining enough for me to want to see another fight, but from a fighters standpoint. Since the rematch Canelo beat Jacobs for the IBF at 160, beat Fielding for the #1WBA contender spot at 68, and is fighting Kova for WBO at 175...compared to Rolls an Sergy for a vacant belt. I'm pretty sure if GGG fought and beat say Andrade for the WBO or Charlo for WBC #1contender spot instead of Rolls he would be fighting Canelo right now instead of Kovalev...but you cant fight bums and except a big fight especially when you already fought twice and went 0-1-1.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    HerolGee likes this.
  6. elbonzoseco

elbonzoseco Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    that's a nice rant, none of it is of any relevance to anything. You just can't compare the circumstances. GGG never ducked anyone who was actually serious about fighting him. Canelo isn't ducking either, he just has time on his side, that's why he never mentions Bivol. When Kovalev chose to fight Yarde and left little time for Canelo to get a date and a name, Bivol offered himself at 168 and 175. He never got an answer, go figure.

7. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Henry Armstrong! Held and defended 3 belts. Fought to a draw for the 160 belt. This, in a time were there was 1 champ per division and only 8 divisions. That would be like someone today holding 5 or 6 belts at one time. But Canelo is doing things that will put him in the history books.

8. acie2g

Jul 21, 2010
    What you said makes no sense every fighter I mentioned called out GGG, but somehow because he didn't accept the other fighter wasn't serious. Canelo is a MW he's not obligated to fight anyone at 175, Roy Jones didnt fight Lennox Lewis he fought Ruiz yet people bring up the MW-HW, at the end of the day GGG had opportunities to make better fights and decided not to, all this ducking talk is a myth, yall bashing fighter to make GGG look good when the one who has a history of not making fights is GGG.

9. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Ward bested Kovalev and he split with Eleider. But to refer to Kovalev as a cherry pick is pretty absurd and reeks of agenda.

HerolGee likes this.
  10. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    it's canelo he won't rate anything he dose he'll just say moonelo and move the goal post.

ElCyclon likes this.
  11. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Momento mori Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    kind of amazing to compare Canelo to Rjj simply because Rjj is a freak of nature nd canelo is average all the way around

12. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    What you've written above is absolute nonsense.

Cotto wanted nothing to do with GG. We all know that. Why pretend otherwise?

Martinez retired after losing to Cotto because of his bad knees. Nobody thinks that Cotto would have beaten Martinez had he have been at 100%.

We know exactly what Oscar did when GG became Canelo's mandatory. Oscar didn't want the fight pure and simple. Now I'll give Canelo credit, because like you say, he has balls. Personally, I think he'd have taken the fight. But Oscar didn't want it and he made Canelo look bad. He kept asking for extensions. GG let the Cotto fight go ahead, and he also let the Khan fight go ahead, because he thought Oscar was acting in good faith. After the Khan fight, whilst live on air, Oscar told Loeffler to stay by the phone in order for negotiations to take place. Yet they then signed to fight Liam Smith instead, before going on to fight Chavez. Oscar waited on GG for as long as he possibly could. And it's an absolute joke for you to criticise GG for not being willing to fight Canelo at 155. Title fights shouldn't even be sanctioned at CW's. It's a disgrace. You can't have it both ways. You can't give Canelo huge credit for taking on Kovalev at LHW, whilst criticising GG for not dropping down in weight to fight him below MW. What a joke. If he's big enough to fight Kovalev, he was big enough to fight GG from 2015-2016. Also, even if he had've agreed to the C-W, Oscar would probably have thrown a spanner in the works in order to prevent it.

The Lara fight wasn't viable either. Loeffler spoke to his manager, and his manager publicly confirmed that Lara wanted to stay at JMW for the time being. I can show you the interview if you want.

Froch is on record saying that he didn't want the fight.

The Ward fight wasn't viable either. And I say that as a huge fan of Andre's. At the time of the offer, GG was already preparing to face David Lemiuex, believing at the time that he'd be facing the winner of Canelo-Cotto, who fought the following month. Also, Andre had been inactive, and he'd told the media that he didn't think he could make SMW again. And he told HBO that he wasn't ready, as he'd need at least one tune up beforehand. Go and check the timeline. It could never have happened back them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    elbonzoseco and Dannymita like this.
  13. acie2g

Jul 21, 2010

First off based off history of Cotto and GGG I have more faith that if GGG would have accepted a cw like Martinez and Geale and Canelo did he would have gotten the fight and Cotto out his own mouth said those words. While i dislike the idea of catch weight title fights if your sitting back screaming your being ducked and nobody will fight you and a big name fighter says they'll move up and fight you at a catch if you really want to be the best make the fight.. didint Canelo try to unify with Floyd at 152?
    Canelo in 2015 had never fought above JMW before non title fights vs other ranked JMWs at a lb or half a lb above 154 doesn't make it it MW fight.
    The fact that Canelo won the MW title at 155 is bs but Cotto was the Champ and it benefitted him, I remember the first round of negotiations vividly Canelo wanted at cw and GGG said no again based off history Canelo has moved up and down to make fights, I have more belief that he would take the fight earlier if GGG agreed to lose 2 lbs than I believe GGG seriously trying to make the fight.

GGG himself said 154-68 I was a fan at the time I remember Lara was the first to call that bluff I wanted him to fight and smash Lara at 54 just because of the extreme boringness of his style but GGG refused and backtracked only to fight lesser fighters..
    I mentioned the Ward fight the fight offer for GGG would have taken place after Lemieux and they would have fought next. GGG would have been able to go through with the unification while Ward got a tune up then then they could have fought GGG said no and Ward offered the same deal to Kovalev at 175 and he accepted.

Just because you believe GGG is this fearsome monster doesn't make it true, while there were fighters who did duck GGG ya'll out here besmirching proven fighters name who have a history of making fights in order to prop up a guy who has a history of not making fights. Y'all give this man credit for giving Jacobs a bit more money to fight, I've seen Kovalev,Ward,Cotto,Canelo,Mayweather,Pacquiao the lost goes on of fighters make concessions to make good fights that's part of the game but GGG is too good for that I guess and because of that he has a crappy legacy.
    Every fighter I named and has consistantly gone out of there was to make big fights EXCEPT GGG yet you believe they were scared and didnt want to fight.

14. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I look at this one slightly differently.... I think canelo is gonna give kovalev a hiding.... And I love kovalev.. But he really isn't the monster he was.... I expect canelo to jump the weight and win well... And it'll be a good win... But I wouldn't call it a great win... Kovalev is sliding... And while his boxing looks good it is the jab that is keeping him up there...... I wouldn't pick him to beat bivol or gvodzyk at the point.. Which makes. E sad really.. But all great fighters get old.... I hope I'm wrong personally

Onto canelo.. If he wins.. Its a good win.. But the name on the record won't tell the story.. Its a good win.. But probably not a great win... If he sticks around at 175 and cleans up... That will be truly great

I do feel like he should finish business with triple G... It'll be hung over him forever otherwise that he got a questionable decision.... A bull**** draw and got popped for clen.

15. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    yousukcak