In an anything-can-happen division, what if Parker and Ruiz BOTH Lose Saturday?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    These should be relatively clean wins for both Parker and Ruiz.

Parker is currently rated #5 by Ring Magazine. Ruiz is rated #6.

But what would happen if Parker lost to Chisora and Ruiz lost to Arreola on Saturday?

Do you think Parker and Ruiz would drop out of the top 10? Think Chisora or Arreola move in? Rematches?

Who moves up in the division? Whose stock falls? Any long-term repurcussions?

Or would this be like Whyte-Povetkin, where they just sign for a quick return bout and try to avenge the loss before summer is out?

pacas likes this.
  2. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    Both of their stocks would fall and they would fall out of the top 10. Both of their opponents are pretty shot.

3. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Do you think a win would move either underdog into the top 10? Or who would move into the top 10 if Parker and Ruiz fell out?

4. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    No. Chisora will continue as everyone favorite gate keeper, and maybe set up another top 10 guy to fight him for a title shot. That's as far as I can see either going.

5. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Arreola would have to bring a gun, and he still might miss.

6. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Chisora could get a top 10 rating with a win over a top 5 guy. I could see that.

I think Ruiz would drop out and possibly someone like Joyce moves in.

KiwiMan, sasto and HellSpawn86 like this.
  7. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    HW is a anything can happen division?

news to me.

the Ruiz-Arreola fight is obviously a matchup to make Ruiz look good and give him a safe win.

the_Hawk and Malph like this.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Arreola has ZERO chance. The only way he wins is if Ruiz slips and twists his ankle or some similar freak accident. In such a case, if it was recorded as a Arreola win and not an NC, no one would take it seriously and they'd arrange a rematch. Ruiz probably slips out of the top ten, but that's it.

If Chisora beats Parker, he gives his career a little boost but he'll still just be the gatekeeper, borderline top 15 kind of guy, someone might be able to squeeze him into a top 10 perhaps, as long as Usyk and Whyte are ahead of him.
    And Parker will be regarded as done, washed-up, a completely busted flush.

HellSpawn86 and The G-Man like this.
  9. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Arreola has no chance? Lmfao....come on guys. Arreola threw 1200 punches or so against Kownacki and easily went the distance. If Ruiz can't take him out and has another of those sloppy and lazy performances Arreola can def outwork him. Saying he has no chance is a bit of a joke. Of course he has. Nevertheless Ruiz is a clear fav and if he fights smart he should win.

pacas, HellSpawn86, joe91 and 2 others like this.
  10. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    They should both win going away. If an upset were to occur i would expect it to be Parker as Chisora is no where near as shot as Arreola.

HellSpawn86 and liamfisher25 like this.
  11. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    While I agree Chisora is more likely to pull the upset, I wouldn't say Arreola is shot by any means, certainly not the standard definition of a shot fighter. As was noted, he threw more punches in his last fight than I believe were thrown in any heavyweight fight counted by CompuBox. Shot fighters can't pull the trigger.

Anyway, Arreola is certainly not prime anymore. But I don't think his loss to Kownacki is any worse than Chisora's loss to Kabayel.

The favorites should win, clearly. But I think there are avenues for both underdogs to win.

Ruiz is rated a spot below Parker in the RING ratings, but I think he has the most to lose.

A loss to Arreola would lead people to question a lot of things ... and certainly would play havoc on Andy's mind, as he spent so much time preparing for this, unlike other fights.

pacas and HellSpawn86 like this.
  12. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I remember when Michael Grant was considered the "next big thing" ... then he lost to Lennox ... and he took a long time out and got a new trainer (Teddy Atlas), and Atlas went on every talk show he could find (pre social media) telling the world how awesome Grant was and how he was destined to be the next champ. And then Grant broke his ankle in the first round in his first fight with Atlas in the corner and his career was basically done.

So ... that DOES happen occasionally. I don't think it will, though.

Keep in mind, Ruiz has a boyish demeanor and all, but he's been a pro for 12 years. He's in his 30s now. And it took him seven years to get a vacant title shot, which he lost. Then he got dumped by his promoter (Arum) for basically not giving any effort. Got a lucky break when he was picked to fight Joshua, WON (all credit to him), then threw it all away.

He's essentially a one-hit wonder at this point. Ruiz has a LOT to prove, still. And he's not a kid.

I hate when people say "take away that one fight and ..." when judging a fighter, because I don't think it's fair. Andy deserves all credit for beating Joshua the night he did. But Ruiz kind of stunk out the joint for the vast majority of his career, which is why Arum dropped him. I thought Liakhovich beat Ruiz. Arreola is better than Liakhovich.

The lone Joshua win sort of blinds people to that.

There were never many Andy Ruiz fights in his 12-year career where anyone said, "WOW, Andy Ruiz looked awesome."

I've never been a Chris Arreola fan. He sort of dogged it a lot of his career, too. But I don't know if Ruiz has hit rock bottom yet. Arreola has and has fought his way back.

That's why that fight intrigues me. Ruiz has a lot to prove. If he loses this or it's close, he's kind of this era's Buster Douglas.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    HellSpawn86 likes this.
  13. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    So close. (LOL)

Maybe I should've changed the title to what if Parker and Ruiz lose but they are still awarded the decision?

pacas likes this.