In-fighting a taller opponent

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by evolve215, Jul 28, 2012.

1. evolve215

evolve215 Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Just started at a new gym recently and getting used to some new sparring partners
    Im terribly out of sparring shape after a month layoff. Im usually the smaller fighter and can pick my shots carefully against a taller fighter who most of the time is going to jab and move.
    However i sparred against this pretty tough kid the other day for the first time and had a bit of trouble. Hes got maybe 3-4 inches on yet pressured me the entire session and insisted on fighting inside. I had trouble seeing where his punches were coming from due to his height on the inside. I guess my question is where exactly do you guys look when fighting in?

Heres the vid for what its worth
    Im in the red headgear

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifg7WN6nxog&feature=plcp[/ame]

2. OZ Puncher

OZ Puncher Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Listen to your trainer mate.

If you are taller, you shouldn't get drawn into an inside fight. Keep your range with your jabs. Double em up often and keep him out with uppercuts following jabs if he advances into your inside. But just keep your cool and defend yourself or wrap him up and then get out if possible.

3. evolve215

Jun 22, 2011
    hes the taller guy but still is constantly moving forward trying to get inside...ill take your advice though considering i have a good jab and like to catch and fire...the kid told me i had good uppercuts so maybe i should take advantage!

4. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Mate he was bang wide open for body shots when he leaned on you, elbows poised forwards. Swing some hard shots and he'll want to stay away from you/

5. Little_Mac

Little_Mac Active Member Full Member

May 18, 2007
    You need to develop and infighting uppercut. That would really help I think.

Dig down and use your legs to power the punch. Your hands should barely move when throwing it. It's like.... 90% legs. You want it to pop!

6. evolve215

Jun 22, 2011
    i boxed with him today and did much better after studying Pacquiao v Margarito (kid fights like him and rarely takes a step back)...i consistently slipped his jab and got inside countering than slipped back outside and repeated... unfortunately i have no video

7. r1p00pk

r1p00pk Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    you threw some pretty ****ing hard shots and he still kept on comming

8. evolve215

Jun 22, 2011
    towards the end of the round i stepped back and threw 5-6 straight shots that all connected...his nose was busted and bleeding and the kid was still in my face pressuring...like i said a very tough fighter

9. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    You are too square up on the inside. If you stand square like that up close you'll get hit with everything, you are a target.
    When you move in close, coming in behind the jab, or however you get there (and this guy let you get close), get yourself sideways. Get your left shoulder into his chest, your head against his chest. Once you get there, he can't hit you with his right hand at all, and you can see him move his left hand.
    When he moves that left hand, punch inside it with your right. Watch video of Toney, Chavez Sr, and Buddy McGirt. Three very different fighters, but they all do this inside. Get that left shoulder and your head into his chest.