In Hindsight, was Freddie Roach right?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Mar 2, 2020.

1. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    This content is protected

At the time Roach got a lot of hate but he was just saying it as he saw it, and turns out he saw it exactly how it was

2. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    His strategy was correct but Fury wasn't ready to implement it at the time. He had just gotten off the couch.

3. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Roache says every fighter ever should or will get the KO.
    He was right with hindsight but Davidson had Fury boxing well rather than the more aggressive bigger unit we saw in the rematch.

NasalSpray likes this.
  4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    I dont think he got hate for what he said but more because he said it so publicly. This sort of talk should have been for behind closed doors.

5. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Tyson Fury having lost so much weight so quickly and the abuse his body took was simply not physically string enough to pull of such a tactic. The one mistake i feel Ben Davidsin made was continuing getting Tyson to lose the weight he did going into the Wallin fight.

6. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    He was absolutely right and it is obvious they took his advice. Fury could have taken him out in the first fight or at least had him on the canvas therefore avoiding the 12th round and judges decision. Ben did not add anything at all he just worked on the style that Peter developed but now we are seeing a whole new dimension to Fury's game. Not to take anything away from Ben, I'm sure he will have learnt a lot from working with Roach and the tactics employed by Sugar Hill in the second fight, he is a novice but a very promising one and I look forward to seeing how he gets on with Taylor.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    im sparticus likes this.
  7. Ian_k

Ian_k Active Member Full Member

May 8, 2012
    Ben is a defensive minded coach rather than offensive like roach
    So styles conflicted

8. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Maybe, it certainly felt like that after watching Fury dominate in the manner he did in Vegas. All of a sudden it's a no brainer that he needed more weight and a more aggressive strategy, but as far as I'm concerned, Ben Davison coached Fury to a performance that was worthy of a win that night and only suspect cards amd a couple of momentary lapses from Tyson Fury robbed them both of that triumph.

Given where Fury had come from we could easily be discussing one of the greatest feats in Boxing training history. Think it's worth remembering that when assessing Ben's approach.

hitandhope, zulander, kojak and 2 others like this.
  9. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Freddie didn't get railroaded. This was an arranged and planned interview. He might have been (was) right, however he was very wrong in saying these things in public and in the way he did. There is loyalty and trust and even if you wholeheartedly disagree with what went on, if you are a trusted part of the team, you need to be trustworthy. Ben was not there for the win, but neither was Roach.

Likewise Deas did not agree with Breland, however arguing over the towel made them look fractured as a team. Post fight hot-headed-ness might have played a part in that one, but Roach knew what he was doing in his interview.

Holler likes this.
  10. mcguirpa

mcguirpa Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2009
    There's no controversy here. Roach was right at the time and he's right today.

Fury almost certainly agreed. I was surprised he didn't choose Roach for the rematch but he's obviously very comfortable with Sugar hill.

11. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I wondered if Breland being a Kronk gym fighter had something to do with it. Maybe Fury figured they'd be best placed to anticipate any moves Breland made?

Although the story of Tyson visiting there as a young fighter to train under Manny may have been more of an influence?

12. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Styles and fights. Many of us on this site were saying how important it was that Fury got Wilder on his back foot. I totally agree that he was not in a position to do that I the first fight after the lay off and weight loss.

13. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Bang on, this. He didn’t have the gas tank, mindset and training camp to implement that tactic.

It’s interesting hearing the new mindset from Fury now. As Teddy Atlas said, he was David in Goliath’s body, but he’s realising now that he’s the biggest heavyweight and he should be using his natural attributes. He said that he apparently felt bigger and stronger in camp and was walking forward, bullying his sparring partners.

Joshua is a big lad at 6”6 and 17 stone....but it’s crazy to think that he’s significantly smaller than Fury who is 6”8-6”9 and 19 stone, as Joshua ever fought anyone that holds these physical advantages over him? In relative terms, this is like a 6”3 15 stone heavy fighting Joshua...Fury is the bigger, faster man here (watch how he beats Wilder to the punch with his hand speed and timing) and this new evolution of his style would make him a daunting prospect for AJ. Prior to June 2019, I think Joshua would have felt that he could walk Fury down but we’ve seen a complete turnaround psychologically.

Hattonmad likes this.
  14. Citizen Smith

Citizen Smith Active Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2019
    I watched Tyson's debut against a relatively tiny Gyonyosi and Tyson was 18 stone 9lb's and that was 12 years ago. So Big John was right all along when he was saying "My son's a 19 stone fighter".