In the ATG sense, who is better? Duran or Leonard?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jackstraw, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Jackstraw

Jackstraw Mercy for me, justice for thee! Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I’m sure this has been done before but with all of the Floyd vs Manny stuff it made me think of these two.
    Both SRL and Duran have victories over each other. Duran’s win is considered one of the best ever in boxing, yet the quit job that Sugar forced him into in the immediate rematch is one of the most infamous losses in sport. Leonard has a great win over Hearns, who holds an ATG knockout over Roberto. Leonard also has a win, disputable though it may be, over Hagler, who has a win over Roberto in which Roberto gets credit for punching above his weight. But these stats don’t automatically mean that Leonard is considered greater than Duran in the overall scheme of ATGness. Both men are considered to be in the top 3 of their prime weight classes. So who ranks higher all time and why?

2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Also Ray beat Benitez and Benitez relatively easily beat Duran. I think Ray is greater. If the criteria is who beat the greater fighters than Ray easily wins this. If criteria is length of career and a resume where he fought everyone then it is Duran. Duran had a great career and long and fought up and down in weights and for years.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Tonto62 and Jackstraw like this.
  3. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Sugar Ray Leonard...

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  5. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Leonard won vs all his best opponents

6. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Like others said depends on your criteria, and for me ,,, Duran by a country mile

ETM, Arminius1, Reinhardt and 3 others like this.
  7. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    I'm an equally huge fan of both, so no bias in my answer.... it's Duran.

Had Leonard jumped two divisions and beat a peak Duran at his best weight, then the answer would be Ray.

But as it stands, Duran had a longer, more dominant prime, and has the Montreal win. He's greater than Leonard.

But when I say greater, I literally mean by only one spot.

I have Robinson #1 all time, Duran at #2, and Leonard at #3.

8. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    "Country mile" is an exaggeration. There's no fighter in history greater than Leonard by a country mile.

But IMO, there's only two guys with a true claim as GOAT - Robinson and Duran. Both make a compelling case, but Robinson's dominance in the 40s is something that'll never be seen again in the sport, hence why I have him at 1. But Duran would be the only one with a valid case over Robinson.

Arminius1 likes this.
  9. surfinghb1

surfinghb1 Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2019
    to each his own but not for me , plenty of boxers I would put higher than SRL

ETM and Reinhardt like this.
  10. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Leonard was extremely talented, was America's poster boy, and had some very meaningful wins. Duran had longevity of career, spanning multiple weight classes, would fight anybody, anywhere anytime, and had meaningful wins of his own.
    Leonard won 2 of 3 vs. Duran, which is impressive. The Montreal win for Duran sticks out the most for me, simply because that was both fighters at full strength.
    That and the above factors are why Duran edges it for me.

11. redrooster

redrooster Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    leonard had more talent and more versatile

but never came close to 72 - 1 so I have to go with Duran

12. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
  13. SquaredCircle

SquaredCircle Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Leonard has a better collection of top four wins with Hearns, Hagler, Duran, and Benitez, but Duran has the best single win between the two with Leonard I, greater longevity, longer prime, was slightly better at his apex, and had a deeper resume to boot (Marcel, Buchanan, De Jesus x 2, Palomino, Barkley, Moore, Cuevas, Kobayashi, Ishimatsu, etc.). Leonard is a top-tier great, but Duran rates higher all-time.

ETM and Jackstraw like this.
  14. redrooster

Jan 29, 2005
    there's plenty of fighters. dozens in fact. what about Benny Leonard? willie Pep? Langford, Gans, Ali, Moore, Floyd?

Duran isnt even in my top ten let alone Ray Leonard

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Working 2 jobs, hardly any time for ESB anymore. Hope to make it down to L.A. soon for some Ram games. How have you been?

ETM and JohnThomas1 like this.