In the Ring With Jack Dempsey - Part I: The Making of a Champion

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by apollack, Sep 16, 2020.

1. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Thomas Hauser mentions me and the Dempsey book:

https://tss.ib.tv/boxing/featured-b...mBrAM393KLFGzmyPYKXWMoH_JIm9zynuQ5wTOcLCAB0HE

Adam Pollack is an Iowa attorney who has written biographies of the early gloved heavyweight champions from John L. Sullivan through Jack Johnson. Now he has chosen to skip Jess Willard and go straight to Jack Dempsey with Part One of a projected two-volume work published by Win by KO Publications.

Jack Dempsey: The Making of a Champion follows the familiar Pollack formula of relying heavily on contemporaneous newspaper accounts and other primary sources. It’s 559 pages long and chronicles Dempsey’s life through his 1919 conquest of Jess Willard to claim the heavyweight throne. In terms of content, it’s the most detailed of the Dempsey biographies to date.

Today’s interconnected digital world enables research to be conducted more thoroughly and more quickly than ever before. That’s particularly important for Pollack who relies heavily on documents that are a century old in reconstructing the lives of his subjects. He also benefits from a community of boxing historians and fans who forward information to him.

“Writing these books is a passion for me,” Adam says. “I spend some time on them every day. Right now, I’m having a lot of fun working on Part Two of Dempsey. Once he became champion, things really took off – for Dempsey and for boxing. There’s Dempsey-Firpo, Dempsey-Carpentier, the Dempsey-Tunney fights. But my real job is as a criminal defense attorney. That’s how I pay the bills.”

That leaves open the question of whether Pollack will ever go back and forge the missing link in his chain of books by writing a biography of Willard.

“I can’t say never,” Pollack answers. “But at this point, I don’t see myself doing Willard. These books take an enormous amount of time and effort, and I have to balance that against my personal interest in the fighter. Willard had two fights of historic importance – when he beat Jack Johnson and when he lost to Dempsey. I’ve written about these fights in depth in my Johnson and Dempsey books. And Arly Allen did a pretty good job in his biography of Willard. Maybe someday I’ll change my mind. But right now, I’m at peace with not writing a Willard book.”

2. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

Indefatigable and apollack like this.
  3. sale22

sale22 New Member Full Member

Aug 3, 2019

louis54 likes this.
  4. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I agree. Liston, for how great a story is there, really hasn’t had a great book or documentary made on him IMO.

Indefatigable likes this.
  5. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Excellant, intelligent interview which is so very rare on the internet... And especially on boxing forums... And yes boxers were tougher for the reasons given .... because they had to be ... managers had their way with fighters...on top of the reasons cited by mr Pollack about that was also no mouthpieces to train or fight with until around 1930...
    The undisputed king of boxing researchers.... Mr pollack !!

Indefatigable and apollack like this.
  6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Nice to see it but not thrilled he felt it necessary to include his take on how you a la carte it as if it were a plug and play ... We could easily say the same with the way he packages his web articles each year into a bound volume to sell quite expensively as books and it would be accurate .. Whatever, Tom is clever and a good writer but has always been eccentric.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  7. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    More like a jerk

8. sale22

sale22 New Member Full Member

Aug 3, 2019

louis54 likes this.
  9. Boxing GOAT

Boxing GOAT Active Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2020
    When will Part II be released? Can't wait.

Seamus likes this.
  10. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    Most likely sometime in 2022.

11. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    You make some interesting points, only area the " bolt " theory falls down for me is , where did Dempseys people put the bolt ? if it was inside the wraps , I don't really see of what benefit it would give Jack, if it was outside !!! that would mean between his knuckles and the glove, thinking that would have hurt Dempsey more than Willard. keep well.

12. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    It is more than likely that the referee, fans, or opposing cornermen would have noticed hardened wraps or a bolt at some point before, during, or after the fight. The wraps were exposed for all to see, touch, and examine before the fight, right there in the ring. Willard shook his wrapped hand. The gloves were put on in the ring, with their seconds observing and having the ability to make an inspection. Willard also shook Dempsey’s gloved hand. On the films, one can see Dempsey’s opened hands at times, particularly when he tries to use a set up for a follow-up punch, and nothing is in his gloves – no bolt. A bolt would have been noted by the referee or reporters, or seconds, at the time. Hardened wraps would have been noticed after the bout as well, for they would be difficult to remove. A photographer who purportedly photographed a bolt would have noticed or made mention of it at the time. Old photos have tons of splotches and marks on them, or one could have been added in. Some spot on some still from decades before proves nothing. Boxing people love to speculate. Many do it for financial reasons, including to garner momentum for a rematch, or sell papers. Some simply could not understand how a 190-pound guy could pulverize a 245-pound man, but the fact is that Dempsey specialized in pulverizing his opponents quickly, regardless of size.

choklab and guilalah like this.
  13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Georgie Benton once said a 160 pound man possessing decent but not exceptional talent and properly trained could flatten any other man alive.

It's difficult but not impossible. And it's a lot easier explanation to believe than railroad bolts or plaster of Paris.

roughdiamond and apollack like this.
  14. ron davis

ron davis Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Jack Dempsey was connected with the NY mob. Had a bad reputation as a referee, and made big bets on the fighters he refereed. Ray Arcel called him a crook. Willard looked like he got black-jacked more than any other fighter Dempsey fought. Anything goes. If you have a fighter and want a good result, you pay all of Demseys expenses and fees to be the referee. You'll have a champion in no time, especially if he is the sole judge and referee.