In the Ring With Jack Dempsey - Part I: The Making of a Champion

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by apollack, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Alas, can't buy it while the borders are closed (COVID).

2. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I’ve been sending and receiving goods between here (LA) and Brazil, Japan, Australia, England, Spain, Canada, Ireland, Mexico in the last few weeks. You should be fine. They’ll put them on non-commercial flights.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Just waiting on Amazon now.

4. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Mine is showing up Monday, are you going to do a Jess Willard book as well? Or is he covered pretty well in the Dempsey book?

5. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    I just got my copy of Pollack's Dempsey book and I am blown away ... the detail, the packaging, the photos are exceptional ... I've spent the past three hours digging in and can say there has never been any Dempsey book close. It is an absolute must for all of us.

louis54, apollack and sweetsci like this.
  6. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Not to speak for him, but Adam has stated that he just didn't have any interest in doing a Willard book and that he felt that Willard was adequately covered in the Johnson and Dempsey books.

louis54, he grant and apollack like this.
  7. Greb & Papke 707

Greb & Papke 707 Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Right on, I wasn’t aware, thank you

sweetsci likes this.
  8. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Totally agree .. these books are a huge investment of effort and in my opinion some of the lesser champs might not deserve the effort if takes on the author's behalf .... I kinda begged Adam for years to do Dempsey and could not be more thrilled he went with it what may be one last time ...

apollack, sweetsci and louis54 like this.
  9. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Jimmy deforest sought v after trainer on dempsey, " jack is a remarkable fighter, to say the least; in fact I rate him as the best heavyweight of all times . Never before have we had a heavyweight champion who could box like he, and yet, at the same time deliver a punch which would floor an ox. .". July 10 1919

apollack likes this.
  10. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    This book is exceptional for golden nuggets. Topics worthy of discussion:

1. Lester Johnson fight

2. Maxine Cates

3. Flynn 1

opens up whole new worlds on Dempsey.

mcvey, apollack and Seamus like this.
  11. louis54

Mar 20, 2013
    Sportswriter h c witwer on dempsey .. Willard bout... The man who beats dempsey would have to carry a pair of battle axes into the ring with him.... " sweet cookie, but this dempsey guy is a killer, ill tell the world ! "

apollack likes this.
  12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Lester who was not much more than a solid journey should have won his fight with Dempsey. Even Roger Khan thinks so. This was Dempsey's only official fight with an African American.

Pollack isn't know for much outside the ring, I wonder if Cates opinion was treated fairly. After all this was the 1920's, and she her past business was frowned upon.

Flynn 1 is a clear KO loss. Papers say so, Dempsey's own brother threw in the towel.

I wonder how Dempsey drew with Suddenberg, wasn't he floored a few times in that one?

The Dempsey and shady doc Kearns relationship, combined with Rickard to me created the legend as much as Jack's ring ability did.

Here's what I'd like to know.

Was there any pro Willard or Kearns talk of Dempsey tampering with his gloves?

Did either Greb or Wills or their managers get press on why Dempsey didn't fight them?

Why after such an exciting fight was there no re-match for Fripo? By the rules, Firpo should have been declared the winner of the first fight.

13. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Well regarding Johnson, it seems that many thought Dempsey won the fight .. of these two he finished stronger .. it was much closer than Dempsey himself seems to say .. in addition there is little doubt that Johnson had much more experience against a higher level of opposition the Jack had who was basically barely 21 years of age ..

Regarding Maxine it seems there is a huge case that she was not fifteen years older than Dempsey as the story is famously told but that she was actually one year younger than him .. that threw me ..

Flynn .. his brother stopped nothing .. Dempsey was flattened and counted out .. knocked out cold ..this was no Witherspoon Smith 2 .. this was Thunder vs Grimsley ..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Jason Thomas and apollack like this.
  14. louis54

Mar 20, 2013
    Auerbach, dempseys manager, in 1920 said he n thought the 21 year old dempsey threw the fight
    Pollack actually found a letter to a newspaper by cates that flynn handed dempsey 500 bucks... But flynn was a fast starter

apollack likes this.
  15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    If you want to know buy the book!That's what H E and I have done!

" Pollack isnt known for much outside the ring"?
    He has been a Criminal Defense Attorney for over 10 years,in two States
    Was a former Prosecutor.
    Is an Author and Publisher.
    A Boxing Judge.
    A Boxing Referee.
    A Boxing Coach.
    A Member of The Boxing Writers Association.
    Has his own legal practice.
    Has written ten volumes of biography on the heavyweight champions with another on the way.
    No, compared to what you've achieved I suppose he is a bit of a failure really!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    robert ungurean and dinovelvet like this.