In this Thread: We list our top 5 weightlifting + bodyweight movements for boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Problematic, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Never mind, I actually forgot snatch is American slang for female parts. I thought it meant something gay at first. :lol::patsch

2. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    :lol:

Yeah, we use it the same way y'all use "fanny". (which to us just means "bum", male's or female's, with no dirty undertones, like you'd say it without blinking in front of children..)

What's the connotation of snatch in the UK?

3. Cafe

Sep 2, 2011
    I'm not entirely sure to be honest, it's not something at least I hear very often at all. By far the more common terms are c-nt, tw-t, (I don't wanna get banned) and fanny as you mentioned.

4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    :good

Is p*ssy just not something anyone says? Considered more a Yank thing?

Or does it just get said in the "you're being such a p*ssy!" sense but not so much to refer to actual lady bits themselves?

5. Cafe

Sep 2, 2011
    Oh yes, p*ssy is VERY common and it's used the same way as in America. :D

6. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Damn, that sucks cuz I turn 40 in three months.:|

7. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Sports specific work is never time wasted but you need supplementary exercise if you want to improve yourself physically. You can not overload beyond your body weight throughout the triple extension with out lifting heavy. You're simply not going to be as powerful, fast and injury resistant as you could be if you don't lift weights.
    It isn't a matter of 'thinking' anything, it's a matter of physiological and bio mechanical facts about the human body.
    You can play any sport or do anything physical without lifting weights but you're seriously limiting yourself. Boxing movements are simple athletic movements, there's nothing unique about it. The same triple extension of the knees, hips and ankles is used in every throwing, running and jumping sport to produce power throughout the kinetic chain.
    Boxing is a movement, lifting weights is movement under load. Being stronger in a general sense helps recovery, prevents injury and helps with motor learning (skill acquisition). Every sport in the world that is semi-professional involves strength and conditioning. Body weight stuff is okay for kids and very weak people but it gets very hard to progressively overload beyond a low level.
    Back in the day the top sprinters strength and conditioning was sit ups next to the track. It's sad that boxing is still there and there's still a view that weights have something to do with aesthetics. For the average 18 year old or a bodybuilder sure, but that has nothing to do with athletic training.

8. moparfan

moparfan ESB's glass jawed fraud Full Member

Jul 13, 2012
    :???:

9. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Boom! Bloody well said, pal. :good

I know some Boxers that use S&C methods now and kick themselves that they didn't do them 5-10 years ago. It's such a no-brainer to use it.

10. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Clean and jerk, and the straightforward clean are good all round bodybuilders.
    I used to chop wood too, sounds corny, but great for cardio and core strength.

11. light-welter

light-welter Active Member Full Member

Mar 23, 2008
    This.

I don't know of any sport that is as far behind from a "sport science" perspective as boxing is. You only need to read the fighting fit magazine which interviews boxers and their coaches to realise that nobody seems to know anything about training towards the specific demands of the sport. The one that always sticks in my mind is Ricky Burns talking about how he was using machine weights in order to "isolate muscle groups" to improve his "overall strength". Mindboggling.

12. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Think you will find that problem in most sports.

13. light-welter

light-welter Active Member Full Member

Mar 23, 2008
    It's far worse in boxing than almost any other sport. Football is always talked about as being behind but even they are miles ahead in terms of the level of S&C support they get. Boxing's most renown strength and conditioning coach is Alex Ariza! :rofl

14. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    suppose you have a point, so which sport do you think, understands the needs of S, C the most.

15. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    As someone who works in elite sport I can tell you that is most certainly not true. Proper athletes don't use machines, vertical treadmills, or any nonsense like that.
    The only machines that get any use at our facility are the leg curl for hamstring eccentrics and the lat pull down for some variation. And that's for accessory work towards the off season.