In which HW bouts was the nearest we came to having prime ATGs fighting each other?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Ken Ashcroft, May 10, 2019.

1. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Jack Sharkey vs Max Schmeling I: Not ATGs but great fighters.

Sam Langford vs Sam McVea (Australia bouts) or Sam Langford vs Joe Jeannette (maybe the Paris one)

Jersey Joe Walcott vs Jimmy Bivins (1946): 26 y/o Bivins and 32 y/o Walcott.

Primo Carnera vs Max Baer: Both were in their prime. Not ATGs though.

Gatekeeper and Sangria like this.
  2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Its never perfect. Bowe had atg talent. And sorry, Holy was in his prime. Just because he performed slightly better a fight later doesnt discount this. A prime lasts more than 36 minutes.

JC40, Golden_Feather99 and Sangria like this.
  3. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    It's a shame that Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe never met in 1993 as originally planned. I don't think many would have had Riddick as someone who achieved all-time great status though he might be hovering around the H2H top 10. A matchup with Lennox in 1993 might have been one of the best fights between unbeaten peaking heavyweights that we missed out on.

Sangria likes this.
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    It is almost like two eclipses coinciding!

5. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Would you classify Mercer as such?I wouldn't ,nor Ingo. I suppose its up to the individual.

6. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Lots of good title matches---usually not the greats though but guys at the top of their games at the same time; and actually that itself is rare.
    Weaver==Coetzee
    Brewster--Liakhovich
    Hide---Vitali Klitschko
    Morrison---Mercer
    Norton---Young, possibly but think Kenny was a little old.
    Foreman--Norton
    Witherspoon--Thomas

7. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Didn't actually know where to draw the line at "ATG" in that list tbh

Was thinking "whos in my top 25 heavyweights", not so sure they even are

8. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis was far better when Steward improved him, in `93 he was very dissappointing v Bruno and Tucker and McCall exploited this when he timed that sloppy right hand in `94.

9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Basically Mercer was not a great fighter at all so can`t be called an ATG he wasn`t even ever a real world champ because the WBO was considered a poor man`s title in the early 90`s when Mercer held that title until an old Holmes outboxed him to take that title away.

10. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Not all ATG's because this topic is difficult to gauge, but great fighters in their prime facing each other...

Tyson-Tucker
    Holmes-Cooney
    Thomas-Witherspoon
    Lewis-Golota
    Bowe-Holyfield
    Vitali-Byrd
    Ibeabuchi-Tua

11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Patterson v Ingo
    Bowe v Holyfield
    Louis v Schmeling 1
    Ali v Liston I will agree with (Liston didn’t look at all different Ali just threw him off)
    I don’t think Ali was prime for foreman or Frazier slightly past like Holyfield v Tyson

12. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Nah, Holmes didn’t take it away. Mercer vacated the WBO belt because he didn’t want a low paid but high risk bout against the WBO no1 challenger Michael Moorer but wanted to chase the other belt holders and also high profile fighters like Holmes.

Btw.Antman, why is Steve McQueen your avatar pic now? You a big fan of his? What happened to that ugly looking guy that was there before? Was he supposed to be someone famous because I gotta say he looked like some shady looking drug dealer?

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  13. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Sometimes you have to take a fighter on his best night not just a prime time period. ( Its rare but it happens)

Louis vs Charles
    Louis vs Walcott
    Ali ( Ali from 71/75 would be very difficult) vs Frazier 1
    Ali vs Foreman ( both top guys of that era and I don't believe ali of 60's gets by Foreman.
    Bowe vs Holyfield. All 3.
    Holmes vs Cooney
    Holyfield vs Foreman ( he was Very dangerous at this time)
    Tyson vs Spinks

Current era:
    Joshua (hes to good not to suspect hes going to be one and soon even still being active in what hes achieving ) vs Klitschko ( that was the most prepared Wlad ,#FACT )

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. CarlChilders

CarlChilders Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2019
    George Foreman vs Ken Norton, Foreman vs Ron Lyle. Ken Norton vs Ali, Frazier vs Ali. Tyson vs Tony Tucker. Tommy Morrison vs Ray Mercer.

15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Maybe just a little bit past, but if you allow that Patterson was great, this is the best answer IMO.