Incredulous personal opinion - Kosta Tszyu isn't as great as Lupe Pintor

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    One sure has a nicer looking, "cleaner" record, yes. But you also have to remember that only one of them was thrown in with the wolves from the beginning, with no substantial management or experience to call on. That man certainly was not the extremely well groomed, matched, and well seasoned before turning pro Tszyu.

Having watched at least several of each of their contests, and learning a good amount about their respective eras and the circumstances to their careers, I can honestly say that I find the relatively under hyped Lupe Pintor to be a more impressive, skillful, and indeed greater fighter than one of boxings more recent big name darlings, knockout puncher Kosta Tszyu.

I like Tszyu and everything, but when people start talking about him rumbling with legitimately great fighters at 140, or even 147, I often cringe at some of the responses that I see painting Kosta as a seemingly far greater fighter than I view him as being.

He could do certainly do more in the ring, and proved it in the 15 round era in a talent laden division to boot. Pintor showed his mettle against other legitimately great fighters, of diverse styles to boot. Kosta did no such thing. If you start matching up Kosta with the true elites of his weight range like Jose Napoles, well..... :duh

Is this a controversial opinion, or do other fight fans see where I'm coming from and agree with my general train of thought?

2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    As a fan of both I see where your coming from and agree with your general train of thought. Good and interesting post

George Crowcroft and Russell like this.
  3. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I like Pintor better, personally, but how exactly is he more "skillful" than Tszyu? What makes you say that he could "certainly do more in the ring"? Pintor faced better competition but he strikes me as a significantly more limited fighter than Tszyu.

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Kostya taking a beating on here lately. Personally i rate him higher than Pintor and higher than quite a few others he has been compared to. He had a more well rounded game than given credit for and was extremely dangerous.

5. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    By the way, facing almost any versions of Laporte, Fuentes, Bramble and a very lively Hector Lopez in your first 11 fights ain't exactly easy street.

6. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    Sure, but you're talking about a fighter that already had the experience of a professional fighter because of his prolonged amateur seasoning. If anything we probably actually saw the very best Kosta had to offer over the first half of his career before he became the superstar he would.

Tin_Ribs likes this.
  7. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Nope, he got better and better. The Lopez and Mayweather fights were great learning experiences. Shooting his wad and getting KOd also taught him. His body attack later in his career could be brutal.

8. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    I'm talking about his physical assets.

9. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    That's the same for a lot of fighters.

10. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    KT is is becoming one of the more underrated fighters in here now. I rate him above Pintor and i rate Pintor pretty highly as seen by my various mentions of him in recent years.

JC40 likes this.
  11. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    My opinion is that Pintor's ceiling, his ability, was shown to be almost inseparable from that of a fighter I consider a legitimate great at the weight class in Carlos Zarate. It took him rising in weight to face perhaps that weight classes all time greatest fighter to halt him. He has dominant stoppage wins over the likes of Seung Hoon Lee, who would go on to draw with a prime Zaragoza several years later at a higher weight class. It all establishes levels to me, personally.

He simply faced a level of competition that Kosta could have dreamed of. That counts for almost everything in my book.

12. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    An aging Zarate soundly beat Pintor in their actual fight and received one of the worst decisions in history.

Zarate is on a whole other level to Pintor.

13. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    How did you score the Zarate fight? I don't get the robbery talk, personally.

14. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Not sure of the points but Zarate to me clearly won.

"A surprised Lupe Pintor took the WBC bantamweight championship from Carlos Zarate, 117 1/2, yesterday with a split decision that caused a gasp when it was announced. Pintor, who had been standing quietly in his corner, opened his mouth in obvious surprise when the verdict was announced at the end of the 15 round fight at Caesars Palace. Zarate, however, showed little emotion at the decision although he did cover his head with his gloves. Pintor, who weighed the class limit of 118, went down in the 4th round from a right-left combination to the head. There were no other knockdowns. In the 10th round Zarate bloodied Pintor's nose and in the 11th opened a cut above the new champion's left eye. Zarate appeared to be on the defensive through much of the fight. Pintor kept moving him back and most of Zarate's blows were counter-punches. And this aggressiveness obviously paid off in the eyes of two judges. He threw hard, fast punches and concentrated on the head." -Associated Press
    • Purses: Zarate - $150,000 (app.), Pintor - $40,000 (app.)

Unofficial scorecards

• AP - 147-138 Zarate
    • Boxing Illustrated - 144-142 Zarate
    • International Boxing - 9-4-2 Zarate (IB opting to score it on a rounds basis)
    • Ring Magazine - 145-138 Zarate

JC40 likes this.
  15. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    WGomez crushed Zarate, but Pintor was in the WGomez fight to the very end, losing by TKO more from exhaustion.

982-12-03 : Lupe Pintor 121½ lbs lost to Wilfredo Gomez121½ lbs by TKO at 2:44 in round 14 of 15

"In round 14, a frantic Gomez once again attacked with all he had and finally managed to inflict some serious hurt on the tough Mexican. The champion, who could barely see and later confessed to be fighting strictly on instinct, struck home with a vicious left to the body and a right to the head to score the first knockdown of the fight. Amazingly, Pintor rose but he was finished. That left to the body had decided the contest. Gomez chased a hurt Pintor to the ropes where the Mexican went down again after taking a hard left to the jaw and the referee immediately halted what still stands as one of the greatest of all the great Mexico vs Puerto Rico battles."

juppity and Russell like this.