Incredulous personal opinion - Kosta Tszyu isn't as great as Lupe Pintor

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Better hook: Pintor.
    Better right: Tszyu
    Better off back foot: Tszyu
    Better infighter: Pintor

JC40 likes this.
  2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Better off back foot: Tszyu? Not so sure.
    Tszyu was definitely the better puncher and a terrific pressure fighter. Pintor was the more orthodox and arguably more technically sound.

JC40 likes this.
  3. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Both fighters were a true credit to boxing and many retired fighters could
    learn some humility from Tszyu and Pintor. Tszyu after Hatton lost in final
    fight made no excuses and held no bitterness and his humbleness was
    refreshing in a tough sport. Pintor was invited to the unveiling of a bronze
    statue of Welsh fighter Johnny Owen ( Rip Champ ) by Johnny parents.
    They held no ill will towards Lupe. Lupe a credit to all ex boxers.

roughdiamond, Tin_Ribs, JC40 and 2 others like this.
  4. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Tszyu fought off the back foot against Tackie, and I don't recall Pintor doing so, though Pintor arguably had better defense on the way in. Tszyu hit a bit harder, but Pintor was better in the later rounds.

JC40 and JohnThomas1 like this.
  5. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Mhm. I know he lost. I'm just saying that he fits the very definition of greatness, to me. Mingling with and fiercly competing with one of the best ever at bantam, winning, and then facing one of if not the very best 122 has ever seen... Losing isn't the point. Even most great fighters themselves fold and usually do so badly when moving up in weight.

JC40 likes this.
  6. Russell

Russell VIP Member banned Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Pintor's stamina and durability are being underrated here, especially the former. A true 15 round fighter that multiple times looked like he was just getting going in the 10th, 11th and 12th.

7. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    The mention of Johnny Owen also prompted me to add that Lupe fought on having been involved in a ring death. We just lost Scott Westgarth on Sunday so there has been a lot of chat about this on these shores.

So many fighters - my man Ezzard, Gabe Ruelas, Emile Griffith and even Aussie Joe Bugner - lost a lot of their killer instinct after being involved in a ring death so you could make the case that post 1980 Pintor was not operating at 100% capacity. Not 100% and went close with Gomez is no mean feat.

8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    As would Chandler if he won. It's a crying shame for both of them. Both could have enhanced their reputations in a win or a loss.

Longhhorn71 likes this.
  9. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Kosta Tszyu had that one-punch, fight turning power, that fans always anticipated would show itself somewhere in the fight.

JohnThomas1 and red cobra like this.
  10. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Pintor was Chucho Castillo grade tough IMO.

11. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Pintor proved his toughness, tenacity and heart for the ages vs Bazooka Gomez.

Longhhorn71 and Russell like this.
  12. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm leaning slightly...ever so slightly that is, to Lupe Pintor....but not wanting to take anything away from Kostya Tszyu in any way.....he'll always have a special place in my heart for bringing out Zab Judah's talent for dancing the chicken dance.

young griffo and roughdiamond like this.
  13. JC40

JC40 Boxing fan since 1972 banned Full Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hey guys, as usuala very interesting and thought provoking thread ya posted up Russell.

I have a love for the old school and Pintor exemplifies it. The guy had absolutely no promotional help and came up the old way aka the hard way. No gimmes, no easy opponents which ensured he actually learned how to fight pro style over 15 rounds.

As an Aussie I watched Kostya's career and I was always struck by how gifted he was, both in speed and in power and despite what a few have said Tszyu was actually a good fighter off the back foot. I recommend his fight with Vernon Forrest at the world am's as a great example of showcasing Tsyu's boxing skill and foot and hand speed.

The way I look at it is that Tszyu was more talented physically as far as natural ability but Pintor was definitely tougher and deffo had more technical know how.

Kostyas opponents tended to be " old, past it or never had it " in typical Bill Mordey style ( Kostya's first promoter ).

As far as who was greater from an historical perspective, I would back Pintor as 118 is a great old school division but funnily enough in a p 4 p head to head battle I would back Tszyu.

Pintor lacks the size and power at bantam compared to a guy like Vince Phillips who was a beast size wise at 140 and who had the chin and right hand to give Tzsyu fits.

Lupe was a strong bantam but he wasnt as big as Zarate who was like a better ( much bewtter ) version of Phillips in the fact that he was a giant at the weight and a tremendous puncher.

Cheers All.

14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Look no further than the second Mitchell fight to see the infighter Kostya was. And he demonstrated a damaging short left hook as noted by the hematoma next to Mitchell's right eye.

As I stated before, Kostya developed his game as he aged.

JohnThomas1, JC40 and red cobra like this.
  15. red cobra

Jul 28, 2004
    Russell has caused me to rethink my opinion of Pintor...a lot of things to be taken into consideration here.

Russell and JC40 like this.