Info on Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Kid Gavilan I

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by FASTHANDS, Jun 25, 2010.

1. FASTHANDS

FASTHANDS New Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Looking for insight on their razor close first encounter. Robinson escaped with a close victory but the crowd didn't seem to agree with the verdict as they let their feelings be known.

Did Robinson deserve the victory over the young, less known Gavilan?

2. techks

techks ATG list Killah! Full Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Maybe,maybe not. It's unfortunate there is no film we know of from that fight or the second but I've got these things for you.

This was on athlete.com-

"In 1948, Robinson fought five times, but only one bout was a title defense. Among the fighters he defeated in those non-title bouts, was future world champion Kid Gavilan in a close, controversial 10 round fight. Gavilan hurt Robinson several times in the fight, but Robinson controlled the final rounds with a series of jabs and left hooks. In 1949, he boxed 16 times, but again only defended his title once. In that title fight, a rematch with Gavilan, Robinson again won via decision. The first half of the bout was very close, but Robinson took control in the second half. Gavilan would have to wait two more years to begin his own historic reign as welterweight champion. The only boxer to match Robinson that year was Henry Brimm, who fought him to a 10-round draw in Buffalo."

And here's and article on the second fight-
    http://www.fighttoys.com/Robinson-Gavilan fighttoy.htm

3. My2Sense

My2Sense Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Most sportswriters thought so, but many of the fans didn't.

4. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    Really those two fights also show how great Gavilan was. I mean the man went to war with a prime Robinson and went to the decision with him twice. Ray threw all he had at Gavilan and still couldn't stop him.

5. FASTHANDS

Jun 19, 2010
    Excellent link, jeez i wish those two fights were on film. I agree that it shows how great Gavilan was, would ove to see him and the second Sugar Ray go at it.

6. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    Thanks. I think all Sugars were great. Of course, Robinson was in a league of his own. Leonard was great especially when he had his fro and Shane was an excellent lightweight that showed great bodypunching throughout his career but can't compare to Leonard's greatness. I'm a fan of all 3 and it is unfortunate Gavilan/Robinson I & II aren't on film. There are a few clips of a young Robinson on youtube but not his fights with Gavilan.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmymFHotQg[/ame]

7. FASTHANDS

Jun 19, 2010
    Sugar Ray's left hook and right uppercut, SCARY. A prime Sugar Ray Robinson really something to observe.

8. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Lest we forget...In 1941 and 1942 Marty Servo fought two ten round split decisions with Robinson...Robinson wonn twice and the fans booed the decisions both times...

9. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    'escaped' with a win? would we use that word about someone who we saw today earn a close decision over a quality opponent, i.e Marquez escaped with a win over Barrera, Paquiao escaped over a win over Barrera in the rematch, great wins they are by the way.

10. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    Awww I want to see those fights! Thanks for the input.

I always thought Marquez & Pacquiao in the remath beat Barrera convincingly but I'll rewatch those soon. Even though I already saw it on youtube, I still got Pacquiao/Barrera 1 for dvd not too long ago. BTW I thought Barrera got robbed in the first fight with Morales but that's just me lol.

11. teeto

Oct 15, 2007
    Yeah, i was just making a point there. I seem to go with the general consensus on the Barrera-Morales trilogy, i had Barrera winning the first, Morales the second, and Barrera the third.

12. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    To be honest, I haven't seen Barrera/Morales II & III. The quality of two on youtube isn't that good from the one I found but I'll just watch it anyways. 3, I should find that one too and if I do I'll watch that one aswell.

Edit: Oh I spoke too soon I found a fine quality Barrera/Morales 2 lol. I'll see that fight after I watch Quarry/Lyle.

Another Edit: Morales made me a fan today. He displayed such good boxing skills rolling some punches with his shoulders and throwing clever shots while using alot of 1 and 2's. I thought he won the second fight with Barrera.

13. SLAKKA

SLAKKA Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
  14. teeto

Oct 15, 2007
    :good yeah i remember how Morales was doing that in the second fight, at distance, sniping Barrera with long rights then rolling under Barrera's shots, was nice. Let u know what you think of the third one when you get round to it man

15. techks

Dec 6, 2009
    Just finished watching three. A great fight but I still like the Marquez/Vasquez trilogy more by a hair. Barrera started off and stayed more aggressive than in the second fight and I think he won on aggression alone but he was being effective by landing clean shots such as landing hooks & uppercuts to the body and using the left hook to the head. Morales footwork wasn't as fleetly as it was in the second fight though he look a bit speedy in Rnd 7 but overall he seemed more stationary in the third fight but thats what wars do to ya. He also wasnt utilizing range from the outside with jabs & straights like he did in the second fight. I've noticed that Barrera won in the more aggressive fights(I & III) and Morales won in the most technical fight(II). Still the way they flowed their punches throughout their careers was beautiful and I hope they pick up their fourth title soon. I applaud Barrera for not only giving my man Morales three fights and having a great career but for picking up the win yesterday. Win or lose I still respect him as a fighter and after seeing this trilogy I want to see more from the two.