Ingemar Johansson, 1958 vs Frank Bruno, 1986, who wins and why?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Richard M Murrieta, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I just think Bruno holds all the aces here. Ingo had his toonder right, that had poor Floyd up and down, but Franky did well for a while against Tyson, Witherspoon and Lennox, so I don't see him really being in any trouble tbh.
    So illl stick with Bruno beating him down.

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Eddie Machen was the outstanding contender. In an incredible run Eddie had gone unbeaten against Joey Maxim, John Holman, Bob Baker, Tommy Hurucane Jackson, nino Valdes and Johnny summerlin. Only the draw with Zora Foley had prevented his chances of meeting Patterson for the title. He was red hot. His knockout of Valdes was spectacular and his stoppage win over the previous title challenger matched the champions result.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  3. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    It’s really a question of pedigree. Machen and Floyd were at one time the best two active heavyweights in the world. And during the time they were enjoying that status Ingo demolished the pair of them in back to back fights. Neither having been knocked out before.

While potentially a lower Euro level echelon to Bruno, Hoff was taller than Frank. Physically a big heavyweight who lacked the movement and quick thinking in the ring that Frank did at world level.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Johansen should be favorite here.

choklab and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  5. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Machen and Patterson are the only world level (cruiserweight) guys he fought. He went 2-2. Not terribly inspiring.
    I think Bruno's too big, too strong.

6. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    With all due respect to the other posters opinions, I will break with the consensus. Against my better judgement, I have Ingo in a huge, huge upset here. Frank Bruno would come out, poking Ingo in the face with a hard right jab, imposing his will and using his tremendous size advantage, rattling Ingo with his large left hook. Bruno at this point is winning this battle in a very lopsided manner. In round 5, Frank has Ingo trapped in a corner, looking ready to end this affair, then Ingo lands the Bingo. Bruno staggers back, Ingo batters him, then the Bingo of a right hand lands again. Frank is about to crumble when the referee steps in, waving a very startled Ingo off of Frank.

Fergy and choklab like this.
  7. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Login to BF24 and find your favorite "Tripple T" Troll Tag Team doing as usual :)

One fighter beat Patterson once, hit Machen on the chin and got stopped by Floyd Patterson two times, while the other fighter had three fights with Mike Tyson/Lennox Lewis and got stopped two times also against 6*4" 228 fighters.

Johansson (26-2) wins:

Cooper
    Machen
    Patterson
    London

Johansson losses:

Patterson
    Patterson

Bruno (40-5) wins:

Coetzee
    Tillis
    Bugner
    Ribalta
    Coetzer
    Williams
    Ferguson
    McCall

Bruno losses:

Smith
    Witherspoon
    Tyson
    Lewis
    Tyson

Sure, Johansson should be favorite here :elefant:

8. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019

9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    What is your criteria for the wins/names you selected ??

choklab and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  10. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    Kudos for the action but:

At the time Bruno knocked 220lb fighters the **** out (when he didn´t meet 230lb behemoths that could box&n´punch), Johannson would rumble Qawi, De Leon, Holyfield, Tillman or Ocasio.....

Where´s the thread of him vs Tillman or Qawi, never mind Holyfield? Or Johansson vs Schmeling?

This place......

For example, to find someone meaningful inside of 26 wins.

11. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    This is true my friend, but in 1958 boxing, no one weighed 250 lbs, if they did, people would say that that fighter over ate and forgot to train. But thanks for the compliment.

choklab likes this.
  12. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I am not a betting man, and don’t think I have made a wager since Taylor vs Chavez I....but if this fight came off? I would bet a boatload on Bruno and a 2nd wager on under 6 rounds. Bruno stops Ingo in 5 or less.

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    But you list a guy like Jose Ribalta, not a bad fighter but coming off a 3-loss streak when he faced Bruno.

Tillis was 1-1-1 in his last 3 coming into the Bruno fight (drew with someone called Avery Rawls, lost to Mike Williams, won against a novice with 2wins-3-loss called Ron Douglas) ..... again, not a bad fighter, but not that impressive at the time.

You missed off Joe Erskine, for example, who was coming off 3 wins, was 2-0 against Henry Cooper at that point, when he faced Johansson.
    Erskine was no great fighter but can't be a bad win at the time.

That's just an example, after a cursory look.
    I'm not sure you've spent much thought on it really. Honestly.

14. GOAT Primo Carnera

Jan 28, 2018
    You might argue that Witherspoon and Ferguson were overweight, while Ferguson in fact could handle Ray Mercer at a higher weight. Thats 1-2 out of 8 listed.

@Unforgiven Yes cou could add big Eklund and LeDoux for that matter too. Does it matter much?

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  15. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Ocasio v Bruno would have been interesting.