Innapropiate boxing nicknames

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by AntonioMartin1, Mar 28, 2023.

1. AntonioMartin1

AntonioMartin1 Jeanette Full Member

Jan 23, 2022
    wow..I mean just wow.....guess he forgot every boxer who had died until then and the ones who would die later, and those who cried over a fallen opponent and those who would cry over them in a future! Insensitive if you ask me!

2. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    I mean yeah but the nickname can be inaccurate maybe but not inappropriate.

Titan1 likes this.
  3. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    White Lightning could just have been Lightning..

The loser of that fight should have been named Chuck Brown lol In a meeting between them in their prime, I favor Choo Choo hehe maybe cause he lasted 14 vs Arroyo and White Lighning only went 8?

4. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    When you think about it, anything that has to do with assassin, hitman, killer, matador, etc, in a sport like boxing, where, unlike tennis, golf, basketball, baseball-well in the latter two sports, deaths occur but very rarely- in boxing deaths do occur by accident in the middle of a fight, well then those nicknames should be outlawed by boxing authorities. Call yourself bazooka, iron, the bomb (although that in itself is an object that can kill so Im not sure about that, bazooka or shotgun either) call yourself the ko artist, or hot fists..but not anything that has to do with death!

Also, White, Dark, Black, Brown, Hispanic, Asian, Gipsy, Jew....no, in these days when many people are trying to move forward and accept others for who they are.....no.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  5. James Page

James Page Active Member banned Full Member

Mar 21, 2023
    Deontay wilder is the bronze bomber, not joe Louis....he's the brown bomber

6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Oh boy, nobody touched that one. :)

He had a few other nicknames that were "out there" for these times, too.

7. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I can see what you saying, to a point.

8. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    I also hate the nickname Mexican Killer and Im not even Mexican myself, I'm Puerto Rican. Mexican people get upset and quite rightly. Also, sometimes they hate the poor boxer who gets that nickname, who sometimes had nothing to do getting it in the first place except beat Mexican fighters, because duh, are they supposed to lose just so they don't get called that? The press comes up with that, Mexicans get rightfully angry but sometimes their hate spills to the person least guilty of the nickname, the boxers themselves. Its a stupid nickname and one that in a sport where people have died like boxing, you'd think the journalists and television people knew better!

9. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
  10. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Holy hell we have a winner!!

11. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    "Caveman" Lee? Not sure if he gave himself the name?