Insane Footage .. This Is Your Life Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Dec 14, 2019.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    A thank you to M Cox who found this ...

This content is protected

juppity, escudo, roughdiamond and 9 others like this.
  2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Awsome..love me some Dempsey. A natural born killer and a true gentleman who's very humble.

red cobra, louis54 and he grant like this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Love the list of fighters they brought together!

louis54 likes this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Amazing!

Fulton and Sudenberg sound a bit punchy.

Look at those hams for fists on Firpo!

Dempsey seemed such a warm and genuine person but he could be a hundred years old and you still wouldn't want to f*ck with him.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    I looked for this for years after seeing the terrific one on Louis but could never find it and here it popped up .. the Sudenberg, Fulton, Carpentier, Firpo were amazing .. interesting to see the guy he seemed coldest to was his brother ... I just so enjoyed this and hope you guys do as well .. I'm guessing this was from 1957 or so ..

roughdiamond, ETM, Seamus and 2 others like this.
  6. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Jeez what footage !! Yep the king of the ring ......his opponents still seem to be awed by him !!...yeah him and his brother seemmed distant....the toughest of the tough- DEMPSEY

robert ungurean likes this.
  7. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Dempsey would be Cruiserweight champ today...weighed around 190 for his fights but stayed very lean for speed. He'd easily get up to 200 and keep his power and most of his speed. Usyk wouldn't know what hit him.

red cobra and JC40 like this.
  8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    That would be a great fight.

JC40 likes this.
  9. JC40

JC40 Boxing fan since 1972 banned Full Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Thanks for the post Mr Grant, a really enjoyable bit of video. Geezuz Dempsey would have been a handful in a street fight. Those short, precise left hooks would cave your face in.

He seemed like one of those old school blokes who mellowed with age but could still knock you the flock out as an elderly man.

He would’ve made a very dangerous cruiser weight indeed.

Cheers All.

he grant likes this.
  10. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Great footage.

Carpentier kept himself in tip top shape and I was surprised by how fluent his English was. His accent almost sounded English rather than French.

Wonderful find.

louis54 likes this.
  11. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Perfect description Robert! I always heard that from my dad, aunt, uncle and grandmother way back a long time ago growing up...they all had the honor of meeting Dempsey at his restaurant in NY.

12. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    He'd probably be the last guy on this planet I'd ever want to **** with, tell you the truth...just look at him. He gives off the aura of an aging big cat...able to handle anybody who tried messing with him...

louis54, robert ungurean and Seamus like this.
  13. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    That's awsome RC really awsome. My ex Mother in law met him when she was younger. Shes not a fight fan but when I asked her about it a couple decades ago first thing she says is what a nice gentleman he was. The man is very fascinating to me more than any other fighter.

red cobra, louis54 and The Senator like this.
  14. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    Ten years ago after work on a summer Friday I was walking home and found myself in front of the Brill Building, where Dempsey's last restaurant stood for many years .. I said what the hell and walked into the lobby to smell it out .. it is an older , historic NYC building still pretty much as it was back in Jack's days as a tenant .. there was an old timer working the freight elevator desk and I asked him about the restaurant and he gave me a great story .. he said he was at the building as a union member since he was a kid and was there during the final years of Dempsey's Restaurant .. he said how every night Jack himself would either come or send out food and coffee to the hardworking building late night skeleton staff. He said "Mr. Dempsey" still looked big and tough even as an old man and they all loved him.

15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Great footage. I may download this so it doesn't get 'lost' again.

Thanks for sharing! Dempsey is always a favourite.

louis54 and he grant like this.