intermittent fasting? Has anyone tried it

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by pichuchu, Feb 8, 2012.

1. pichuchu

pichuchu Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi i was reading about this earlier on and was wondering if anyone here has tried it. If so could you please answer my questions:

1)What did you think of it
    2)Has it helped you lose fat/ whatever else you were aiming for
    3)Do you reccommend it
    4)What do you think is better. Dinner to Dinner e.g.8pm8pm
    Breakfast to Breakfast e.g. 8am-8am
    Thanks

2. himynameisbrett

himynameisbrett New Member Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I have practiced intermittent fasting on and off for around a year and it has been the best way for me to lose fat. At first it is very difficult but it does get easier with time. It is a great way of finding out when your body is actually hungry rather then just eating because you are bored, which was a big problem for me. I normally fast 3 times a week from 6pm-6pm and find that to be the easiest way. I would highly recommend this for someone who is trying to lose fat quickly. I have lost very little muscle as well which was a very big surprise to me. The only downside that i have found is that it is very difficult to get through a boxing workout on days that you are fasting. Normally i just run around a mile or so on days that i am fasting and on days that i do eat i find no difference in my energy levels.

3. pichuchu

Mar 13, 2011
    Ahh thanks for the response. I'm thinking of fasting tomorow but don't know if i should start from 2night 8.30 maybe 9.00pm till tomorow or breakfast tomorow untill breakfast friday.
    Don't you think starting from dinner would be bad because your eating 1 meal and then "fasting" again for 12 or so hours

4. pichuchu

Mar 13, 2011
  5. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Bad idea for an athlete. Food = energy. Think about it.

6. pichuchu

Mar 13, 2011
    That makes sence as well. Thats why im asking for people who tried it to see if the stories you see on article etc is true or just lies to support them.

7. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    I do a 3 day fast every couple of months. It's a good way to train the mind. Re-conditions you to understand that you don't need as much food as you think you do..

Have also done a 24hr fast once a week before for long periods of time. I like the mental challenge. The times in my life when I've had <10% bodyfat I've usually spent a lot of time starving. Fasting helps deal with that imho.

Food also tastes ****ing great afterwards. You really savour the flavours..

8. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Virus any suggestions on how you could possibly structure a decent programme round this or is it impossible?

9. pichuchu

Mar 13, 2011
    I'm interested in ths aswell

10. pichuchu

Mar 13, 2011
    Well if any1 cares i decided to give it a miss, the hunger in the morning was too much + maybe it was the hunger talking but it doesnt seem smart to not eat to lose weight even if its just or a day

11. Jdsm

Jdsm Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Good.

It may be effective for bodybuilders, or gym goers that want to look a bit better, but as Virus said, to perform well in sport training (I presume you box?), you need adequate fuel. Food = Fuel.

12. pichuchu

Mar 13, 2011
    Yeah i box. I was thinking of doing it on my day off only not training days

13. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    my boss used to fest only on sunday.. while festing, he used enema, he said it is for cleaning your organism..

14. DanielJFiasco

DanielJFiasco Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2011
    It's only really a calorie deficit in the short term, and I think you are better creating a calorie deficit by eating a little less at every meal and training a little harder at every session. As well as energy, you are losing opportunities to take on nutrients to help you recover.

Personally I struggle to train without having food on board, but the Asian lads at the gym still train whilst fasting, just nowhere near full intensity, so it depends on how you cope with it.

15. BladeJrs

BladeJrs N/A Full Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Body building is one thing, but IF for boxing is probably not recommended.

Only way I would think of it possibly not having a negative effect is if you plan your workout several hours after your eating window, so that you've had time to digest for energy, and also to not feel sluggish having eaten too recently.

Either way I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a boxer.