Introduction of the use of a safety helmet in the PROs

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Boxing2019, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    After the last sad events occurred in boxing, many would want the obbligatory introduction of a safety helmet in the professional bouts. What do you think about this? Can really an helmet prevent all the accidents?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    pacas likes this.
  2. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Nope didn't they remove them from the AMs or Olympics for the simple reason that they don't protect the brain from trauma?

Badbot and aaalbert like this.
  3. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    yes safety helmet with a protecting face mask, also lets add safety shoulder pads. this will guarantee total safety. also add safety pillows to the gloves.

4. Boxing2019

Jul 22, 2019
    Seems there are many studies of sports medicine that say the use of a protective helmet (not a simple headgear) would lower a lot the risk of traumas in boxing and seems already exist some prototypes around. Sincerely I dont believe the federations will find an agreement on this question. Too money and interests "to defend" in the PROs.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Badbot likes this.
  5. Boxing2019

Jul 22, 2019
    Sorry, but I dont share your irony. I think boxing should be a sport not a brutal homicide war. Modern HWs fighters are more powerful than in the past while the heads of the boxers have remained the same.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Malph likes this.
  6. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    How about a sarcasm filter for your mouth?

Boxing2019 likes this.
  7. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    But the deaths havent happened at HW so doesnt that tell you something? I may be wrong but get rid of the extreme weight cutting and you will see less of these tragedies.

8. Boxing2019

Jul 22, 2019
    Yeah. I wrote HWs but I meant many modern boxers including middleweights, welters and even lights.

RingKing75 likes this.
  9. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Extreme weight cutting is a very big problem, but there's no easy way for organisations to police it.

10. RingKing75

Dec 23, 2013
    I think what they should do is same day weigh ins with a 5lbs limit rehydration. That'll force fighters to fight around their natural weight.

11. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Not necessarily. Knowing how dumb fighters and their teams are they'll likely just try to rehydrate between the second weigh in and the fight itself, and end up even more badly weight drained than before. Trust me, someone will do this.

Nonito Smoak and RingKing75 like this.
  12. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Sounds like you prefer amateur boxing, at least the old way of am boxing.

As sad as deaths are in boxing, its a job. And just like many jobs it is a risky one, but there are a lot more jobs with much higher death ratios.

13. Boxing2019

Jul 22, 2019
    The truth is today boxers are extreme sportsmen without any security of 100% survival after a performance like the MMA fighters, the base jumpers with the wingsuit, the extreme climbers, the stuntmen... I think though with some more rules in boxing which can save above all young lifes would be better.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  14. RingKing75

Dec 23, 2013
    I agree. But you make the penalty for violation severe. What I would do is make the weigh in right before the fighter gets his hands wrapped. I would make a set time for the fighters to get into the locker room and both would have a set time to wrap their hands. If they violate weight or these time deadlines purses would be penalized and in the event of a title fight the title fight would become a non title fight in the case of a champion violating where he could only lose the title and as he would be officially stripped of the belt upon winning the fight. The challenger in violation would turn the bout into a non title bout where even if he wins he still doesnt gain the title. I think this would work. Again though I dont think any of this would ever happen but it'd be nice to see.

Angler Andrew and Power_tek like this.
  15. nervousxtian

nervousxtian Trolljegeren Full Member

Aug 6, 2005
    No, you don't get it... people will still drain but not have time to re-hydrate even in your scenario. That is way more dangerous than the current system. The better system is mandatory weight limits at intervals leading up to a fight.. but logistically it's too expensive for the vasty majority of fighters to adhere to that.. as most boxers aren't full time.. boxing is a side gig. Also promoters put up a lot of money upfront for venues and the like, and it'd be to costly to fly all over and get registered weights from guys multiple times.

What could be done is better medical testing pre- and post- fight with brain scans. More early stoppages when guys are taking too much damage.

lobk likes this.