Irish Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ardy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. dutchie

dutchie Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I thought Carl was very disappointing, i don't think he caught him with a dacent belt all night, long trip home for his followers after that,doubt if there will be a third match up,don't think too many will want to watch the same againj.

lencoreastside likes this.
  2. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    You're too tired to type "I don't know what the **** im talking about"?
    Wow, you must be sleepy.
    Get some rest

3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Yep. I even started a thread saying the third fight is no good, Dutchie...

4. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Entries out for the Elite, anyone else fancy having a go at picking the winners?
    49-Moran
    52-Irvine
    56-Tough, tough weight, Cleary, Walker, Casey ...aw damn, i'll go with McKenna.
    60-Mongan for an upset.
    64-McComb
    69-Donnelly
    75-Joyce
    81-Ward (Hoping for Conroy!)
    91-O'Neill
    91+-Gardiner

fra likes this.
  5. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Good list but I'd go
    Moran
    Irvine
    Walker
    Bates
    Mc comb
    Donnelly
    Wallace
    Ward
    Kavnaugh
    Gardiner

6. fra

fra Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 11, 2008
    good pick... but I think walker will win 56KG

7. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    The question is 'why?' Why was he so disappointing as you put it, Dutchie? Aside from what LSC did right -what did Carl & his team do WRONG?
    I'd have thought there'd be a lot more talk abut such a major fight...
    FWIW heres my 2 cents worth ( I'll keep it simple in case Limerickbox is tuned in, ok :) !!! )

When you're a little guy like Carl trying to box on the outside against a much bigger guy like LSC you have very little margin for error. And thats what Carl is - a little guy who, unusually for such a guy, boxes on the outside. Lets not forget that. Everything has to go pretty perfectly to pull it off. Plus you need an 'obliging' opponent who fights in the 'right' style for you. Speed timing accuracy reflexes etc etc all have to be spot on ...as they were in the first fight, agreed? A miss is as good as a mile as they say - when you're Carl Frampton, if you're off any bit at all, you're doomed.

I think they expected LSC to slug it out. They trained for bulk, strength, power - the qualities needed to cope with a full-on LSC. They didnt reckon on Leo keeping it long and boxing clever at all. Carl hadn't trained for that kind of fight - his speed, his reflexes, the spring in his step needed to win on Saturday night wasn't there - because his training had all been based around power, not speed. He came in at 139lbs - (14 lbs - a full stone!! heavier than the 125 he weighed in at the day before). Hardly surprising he was too slow and stodgy in there.

Anyway thats the gist of how I see it. Let me know what you think.......
    (The bigger picture is I also feel he should never have left 122 at all in the first place, but thats another story)

8. slapbangwhallop

slapbangwhallop The Sweet Scientist Full Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Honestly, who knows really but I think he can win a European title. If he didn't win an Irish title by the end of the year, never mind end of his career I would be disappointed.

Like you said, he's 31 and ain't got time to mess around. We've made an offer for a decent step up for his fight this month, an unbeaten European boxer.

We've also made a couple of offers for a Celtic Nations title fight for the summer which will hopefully come off and then we are focused on the Irish title.

We got plans brother. And avenues. And options. But as we all know they can quickly turn to shite without a win this month.

puca and lencoreastside like this.
  9. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Slap, whats your take on Carls fight?

10. slapbangwhallop

Oct 13, 2007
    LSC took him by surprise and stole a march on him. Losing those early rounds proved the difference.

11. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    But he never came on strong at all did he? He didn't have a single round where he was really dominant. It's not like he came on strong , finished like a train and "if only he started faster...."...
    Can you see Carl winning a third fight?
    Will LSC ever lose to Carl again?

12. slapbangwhallop

Oct 13, 2007
    If you don't get the right start then your whole plan is thrown out of kilter.

Carl failed to make the necessary adjustments although I gave him most of the middle of the fight. But credit to LSC, he boxed really well.

13. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Con Sheehan set to fight on the 18th but no opponent has been confirmed.

14. fra

fra Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 11, 2008
    on the Belfast bill... nice 1

15. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Looks like i will have to re-evaluate due to pull outs at 69 and 75,(see above)