Irish Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ardy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Can we assume John Joe Nevin is finished with boxing?

2. J0E_90

J0E_90 Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2015
    It was the APB Ray was in (6 rounds), fought twice.

Lost his first fight at short notice in Turkey. Second fight in Uzbekistan was razor close, decision given to the Uzbek.

Was his club coach Martin Brennan in his corner for those fights.

As a pro, initially, Ray will be splitting his time between Mayo with Brennan and Dublin with Packie Collins.

3. dutchie

dutchie Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Great to see Andy back and rearing to go, he likes new York, could have picked an easier opponent as he is away from the ring for over a year, hopefully he will have a good training programme and back on the right road again.

4. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Yeah would love to see him get his check out fight versus GGG.
    Great guy he deserves to make a bitta money

5. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    What about going after a rematch with bjs?

6. J0E_90

J0E_90 Member Full Member

Apr 2, 2015
    They asked for one but Billy Joe didn't want it. Both trained by Adam Booth now so there's no chance

7. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    You have to push a bit more than just " ask " though in fairness.
    As regards both being with the same trainer..Surely if anything that would make it easier...??
    (Anyway given joes track record it won't be long before the love affair with booth turns sour I reckon)

8. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I'll play! Good picks BTW

9. Jayob10

Jayob10 Member Full Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Joe Ward is far and away the most naturally talented of any of the amateurs we have ever had. By some distance. But he will never make it as a pro.

Joe's problem is that he has had it so easy. A lad that has simply coasted and been very successful off the back of his natural talent. What he has achieved is absolutely phenomenal given that he doesn't put the hard yards in.

Ask any irish internation amateur who has encountered him, who is the most talented and they will say Joe. They will also say that he is by far the laziest.

He is infuriating to watch at times, there is so much potential there. When you see him in action theres so much to his game that needs sharpening up and the tools are all there but I don't think hes interested. With the talent he has if he had the work ethic of a Conlan or Quigley, you would be looking at a trully special fighter, if he would commit to improving on what he has (which is just raw talent).

Always get the impression he is just to casual, laid back and lazy. And wouldn't surprise me if his heart wasn't even in it, he's been at it so long.

10. fra

fra Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 11, 2008
    he returns next month.... onwards and upwards

11. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Clearly not pro material. Then again with the possible exception of Andy Lee, who apparently has traveller connections, what traveller boxer DOES have what it takes to sustain a successful pro career? They all fail. It can't be a fluke if it keeps happening.

12. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    I also think the high performance set up is like a mother to them,
    If your not in training they will call you to find out hy, they will set your days,weeks months for you,
    They willorgainse sparring and competition that suits you, you are fed and put up and whilst the life itself is tough when you go pro its like going from secondary school to college, the promoter doenst care if you're not training correctly your contracted to fight you fight,your coach wont be banging down your door but you still have to pay him, you have to pay rent they dont care, etc
    So it would appear that after the HP set up the travelling lads especially find it tough to motivate themselves as they need to for the pros

13. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    I know puca. It's a shame as many have the actual boxing talent ...but not the other qualities. It's a lonely life for a pro beginner....small money, few fans, on his own, amateur team mates gone, friends gone, often away from home.....it's a tough job to start out in....for anyone...just think of poor Darren Sutherland.

Problem goes way beyond that for travellers who have particularly close "family ties" and who been supported by the "welfare state" since birth. This leaves young traveller lads particularly ill equipped to face the grim, lonely, self reliant life of a fledgling pro boxer.

14. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    At this stage I'll believe it when I see it Fra.

15. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    going well....

puca likes this.