Irish Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ardy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. fra

fra Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 11, 2008
    spike calling out anthony ogogo.... now thats bfite spike can win

2. fra

Jan 11, 2008
    R.I.P. Martin.... you were a great man

3. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Speaking of Cork boxers.....anyone of the afficionados of the vested sport here old enough to remember Kiearn Joyce?
    Top am welter years ago. Boxed for Sunnyside in Cork. (Wouldve made a lot of progress as a pro IMO - had the right style, workrate and toughness for it) - anyway spare a thought for poor Kieran. He is in custody having been found guilty of possessing the princely sum of €8K cigarettes. Almost certainly facing jail time for this 'heinous crime' come sentencing on April 4th. Bankers, developers and politicians can fleece us of millions - billions actually - and laugh in our faces. But woe betide the poor boxer who steps out of line. Only in Knackeragua eh?

4. lukekiko

lukekiko Active Member Full Member

Feb 7, 2010

I know Kieran complete gentleman bad news hopefully gets off with a fine

marty likes this.
  5. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I know, Luke. Awful news. He is in custody and I can tell you right now that unless strings are pulled at a very high level, he is facing jail time for this, sadly. The bewigged and be-gowned gentleman on the bench has already said so. Sentencing is April 4th. Pity for Kieran that he's a coal man and not a banker or a developer. If you have a contact for Kieran I'm sure he'd appreciate a kind word at this time.

6. marty

marty Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Are you fighting on the 27th of May show at the Stadium???

7. gmurphy

gmurphy Land of the corrupt, home of the robbery! Full Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Every government hit tobacco crime like this hard, as much as they say they promote smoking cessations the government profit hugely of cigarette tax, its probably the only thing keeping the NHS running

8. lukekiko

Feb 7, 2010
    Doesn't look like it think red corner running a show shortly after so will be fighting on that Hopefully Cruise agrees and we can get it for Irish title

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    marty likes this.
  9. marty

marty Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 20, 2008
    OK good to hear. The more shows the better

10. lukekiko

Feb 7, 2010
    Yea rumours of Katie coming back soon to Dublin so looking like very busy year for Irish pros

11. fra

Jan 11, 2008
    when will that be m8

12. lukekiko

Feb 7, 2010
    T
    end of June See Frank Stacey card fell through again, sick for the fighters training dieting and spending money on camps for show to fall through. Shouldn't be allowed put on another show unless financial backing can be shown by proof of funds etc disgrace on the fighters spending hours on top of training to shift tickets for show to be pulled a week before!

lencoreastside likes this.
  13. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Terrible news for everyone concerned especially the fighters.
    I have no doubt the promoter tried their best but as Luke said should lose their license untill the show the BUI they have their house in order.
    The biggest problem here is the people who bought tickets from the fighters will be slow to do so again and 95% of fighters have to sell tickets to get the fight.so vicious circle...

14. slapbangwhallop

slapbangwhallop The Sweet Scientist Full Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Sickener that the show has fallen through. Not an easy job putting on a show. High risk, low reward and even less thanks.

15. lukekiko

Feb 7, 2010
    I agree with you little or no chance of making money until get a good run and TV. Majority of fighters and fans distrust promotors thinking there making fortunes! First show be happy to break even or suffer small loss.

I looked at all the figures myself Regards running a show, but at same time I wouldn't attempt to advertise a show unless I had a considerable lump sum set aside to see the show through regardless of how tickets are selling etc

gmurphy likes this.