Irish Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ardy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I'm inclined to accept Quiggs explanation about having his mouth open when the punch landed. When Quigg launched his big push in rounds 8-9-10-11 Carl's punches just seemed to bounce off him....despite the fact that Carl was hitting a man with an already-broken jaw.

If Carl was indeed dead at the weight at super bantam, then Quigg was even deader....cos he is bigger than Carl.

The difference being Carl piles on weight and gets out of shape between fights, Quigg doesn't. Carl does "camps" for his fights. Quigg trains 365.

2. Evan_Fields_TBE

Evan_Fields_TBE New Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Quigg is taller than Carl, not sure I'd agree he's bigger. Carl is very stocky compared to him.

Don't think it's any secret how difficult it was for Carl making weight come the end of his time at super bantam. Was drying himself to the bone. Think it really showed itself in the ring in the Gonzalez and Quigg fights. Definitely moved up at the right time. Looked so much stronger and fitter in the Santa Cruz fights.

I think Quigg has arguably looked worse since moving up and switching to Freddie Roach. He can't outpower guys like he could at super bantam.

3. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    There's no "arguably" about it - Quigg has regressed since joining roach and moving to 126. Scott looks awful so far with Freddie roach. But he has retained the ability to overpower....albeit crudely....his opponents at 126 so far. Physically Quigg is more of a featherweight than Carl.

Carl was a destroyer at 122, but the kos have dramatically dried up since he moved to126. That's not a coincidence. Carl is too small to box that style of his at 126. Repeat - Too small for 126. Today's featherweights with the day-before weigh ins are simply too big for him. He can't dent em. Maybe with a bob n weave attacking slugger style he might get to them, but Carl is a stand off boxer. The same punches that regularly hurt the worlds best at 122 have made no impression on Carl's featherweight opponents.

4. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
  5. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Jay Byrne has 2 fights lined up after his recent tv fight he is on the a side of both.
    Gotta say that surprises me he looked very poor against o brien.
    Tough and game no doubt,a decent journeyman probably,but would expect zero out of him in the future

6. marty

marty Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I think he's a ticket seller

7. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    Looks like Frampton won't be rematching Quigg. Scott can't win the title tonight even if he beats Valdez...he blew the weight...

Birmingham likes this.
  8. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Very good post. I thought Frampton was falling apart against Quigg in the rounds you mentioned. He was oblivious to Framptons return fire until he tired from it and Carl finished stronger. Definitely belonged in the ring together. Quiggs an easy fella to get behind, comes across as a really good lad !

J0E_90 likes this.
  9. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    BK99 likes this.
  10. puca

puca Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 11, 2006
    USA beat the Irish last night.
    Good live stream.i watched 6 untill I fell asleep through oldness.
    Harrington was absolutely class pro promoters will be dragging out of her trying to make her stay there.
    Molloy had a good win in the last one I saw. Wayne Kelly was very unlucky agaibst the world youth champ
    They all wore headgaurds,not sure why.

11. lencoreastside

Dec 27, 2010
    It looks like Spike v Lemieux might actually really seriously be on.....!!!

12. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    This content is protected

IRELAND V USA LIVE