Irish Boxing

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ardy, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    All the best to the Irish, may the sun be on their faces and the wind at their backs. Merry Christmas!! Where ever you are.
    Beannacht De oraimh go lear

2. pipe wrenched

pipe wrenched ESB ELITE SQUAD Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Yes sir Ardy, fine Christmas so far. It's only 14:00 here so I have yet to crack into the good stuff (looks like good ole' Jim Beam Whiskey for me since family gave me several bottles! lol). Thanks for the news of Dunne, yeah a little holding might have gone a long way there. Glad he will continue though.

3. iceman

iceman Tis my Island Full Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Dunne was too cocky.Getting KTFO will either make him or break him.I think he has the talent to challenge for a title but does he have the mindset?

4. TheGoldenBoy#1

TheGoldenBoy#1 Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Was at the Dunne Pickering fight. great night. Pity about what happened. The only way he can get back his former standing is by fighting Martinez again imo.

Havent seen Duddy s last few fights but the last time I saw him i thought that blocking punches with his face wasnt going to win him a world title. very exciting to watch

as for Lee ppl are really hyping this guy up unbelievably. He s being brought along nicely but it s still early days. Would love to see him go all the way.

Havent been following Irish boxing as much as Im living in Buenos Aires but when I come home ill make it my business to go to all the fights.

Nollaig shona duit :good

5. TheGoldenBoy#1

TheGoldenBoy#1 Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Yea the atmosphere was sick. when ever Dunne so much as flinched the whole place erupted!Esham didnt stand a chance.

6. ardy

ardy UP THE IRISH Full Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I was at the Duddy-Eastman at the historical Kings Hall Belfast. The atmosphere was electric. I've said it before but I haven't experienced that sort of atmosphere since the McGuigan days.

7. ardy

Dec 16, 2007
    Merry christmas shamrock. Did you eat your turkey on the beach.haha

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hahahaha no, I was at a smorgus board watching the turkey opposite me making an ass of himself hehe

9. ardy

Dec 16, 2007
    Is Paul McCloskey the dark horse of Irish boxing

Dungivens Lightwelter prospect Paul McCloskey believes he's ready to step into the ring with Englands British and European Champion Colin Lynes. The County Derry boy [ he happens to be close friends with John Duddy] has come on leaps and bounds since promoter Brian Peters has "taken over the reins" of his career. The County Meath Promoter has kept Paul busy,and now the 28 year old McCloskey has found himself appearing on RTE2 on a regular basis.
    There has been speculation that Peters will attemp to lure Lynes to Ireland to defend both his titles in what would be a another great night for Irish boxing.But first the 30 year old champion must make a defence of his European title in January.
    Assuming Lynes defends successfully, Peters will then be opening talks with Matchroom [Lynes promters] to thrash out a deal. A veteran of 33 contests [ 3 defeats], Lynes is vastly more experienced than the undefeated McCloskey 14-0 [7TKOs] and would most certainly be a huge step up in class for the ambitious Irishman.
    But in my opinion this is a fight McCloskey can win. And the ironic thing is, while all Irish fans are talking about Duddy, Lee and Dunne winning major titles,McCloskey may beat them to it.

Slan Ardy

10. iceman

Jul 4, 2006
    He has looked good in his last few fights albeit against very average competition

11. ardy

Dec 16, 2007
    Hello Iceman, Did you enjoy your Christmas. McCloskey is a class act and I think he would frustrate an upright Lynes all night long.

12. iceman

Jul 4, 2006
    We had a good day but i had to go into work this morning - there is no 2 week holiday in the states - i miss my boxing days spent between the pub and the bookies - i think i'll go home for christmas next year

13. ardy

Dec 16, 2007
    I spent christmas eve building a tree house with my fater-in-law for my 6 year old daughter. Although I'm orginally from Ardoyne, i now live in the suburbs, hence the tree. It took us 7 f..king hours,it was freezing. I had ice for snot by the end of the day. Anyway I got drunk on Christmas, taking it easy today, and then tomorrow, I,m heading to the City Hibs [ were you ever in it during your student days, it's down by the Irish News offices in Donegal street]. It's all day session, bar and bookies [Welsh National and another lot of race meetings as well].

14. iceman

Jul 4, 2006
    I lived beside Shaftsbury square - we went to the Bot and the Elms

15. ardy

Dec 16, 2007
    HAHA, the student hangouts. What about The Fly, The Egg[Eglatine] or Laverys, more student hot spots.