Iron palm/hand/fist

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by noobboxer_88, Oct 21, 2012.

1. noobboxer_88

noobboxer_88 Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Hi! I might be a newbie to boxing but to conditioning one's body I'm not. I've always had a HUGE fascination with TCM (traditional chinese martial arts). Believe it or not this includes medicine to an extent.

There is something (as the title suggests) called Iron palm. This however doesnt remain to just the hands. With the methods it can be applied to the entire body. Now at this point I'm sure you're thinking "well I've heard about this but I dont wanna screw up my hand." In the Okinawan way you can damage your hand. This means pounding your delicate hands on a board (and in some cases stones) to deaden the nerves and harden the flesh. Something no boxer or most fighters want. The Chinese way takes time BUT keeps your hand healthy and strong and still aesthetically pleasing and as functional as it was beforehand.

Dit Da Jow
    I mentioned medicine before. In Chinese its called Dit Da Jow/ Die Da Jow and in many circles just Jow or DDJ. Its a liniment that is applied to the area to be trained before and after. There are MANY recipes and variations however the basic structure is a strong alcohol ,traditionally rice wine, but Vodka etc works just as well and some strong herbs thrown in to a glass jar. Again tradition states that once this mixture was buried underground where it was cool to ferment for at least 6 months. Some go for YEARS being dug up only to be agitated. And like a fine wine it only gets better with age. Lots of places online sell this liniment and it can be pricey. You can also make your own and buy whats called herb packs and just add the alcohol and herbs in a jar yourself.

Condtioning
    So the Iron palm method. There are two ways I would recommend. Direct and Indirect. How the conditioning works: You start with something light but dense such as rice, mung beans (which have medicinal properties that the flesh absorbs over time s the beans are crushed) kidney beans etc. After 6 months (or when the material is little more than pulverized) you can move on to sand or small small gravel. After 6 months to a year further you can move onto steel shot (used today). Some people will mix the material to progress their training ie: 50% sand 50% beans. There's nothing wrong with that and it doesnt hurt your training as long as you listen to your body. So the way to do it?

Direct/Indirect
    As I stated earlier there are two methods: Direct and indirect. The direct method is simply placing the medium in a basket or bucket and performing strikes into the medium. Palm strikes, backhand, tiger claw, spearhand etc etc alternating each hand after a set of strikes (palm, back hand, hammer fist, switch for example). UNLIKE Japanese martial arts, there is no force applied other than what gravity does. Yes you simply let your hand drop. Some martial artists will do a set number and other will strike as long as an incense stick burns. It what ever is comfortable for you. The Indirect method (probably better for boxers) is the same as applied as above with one exception: its contained in a bag (canvas jeans etc.) This helps boxers in a couple ways: 1) it can be hung up like a heavy bag or on wall. Or (traditionally) on a stand, table etc. where the hand is dropped. After your training simply rub the jow on your hands and wrists. What this does is allows your hand to heal much much more quickly and also improves bone structure, ligament and joint health, skin thickness etc. The simple act of dropping one's hand causes vibrations which has proven to add calcium increasing bone density. Your hand remains very much the same as it was many months or years ago. Its just now capable of breaking bricks and boards (with proper training) and not breaking as easily. I have a lot more information than what I'd like to write all at once so please come to me with any questions I'd be VERY happy to help :D. I hope you enjoy this and find it educational if not useful. Thank you!

2. noobboxer_88

Oct 20, 2012
    Wow..40 looks but no questions/comments? Lol was I that thorough or just boring? Lol:rofl

3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    In boxing you wear gloves which makes this particular training somewhat pointless for a boxer, hence the reason it's never done

4. noobboxer_88

Oct 20, 2012
    I don't see how. :huh As I stated this Iron conditioning can be applied anywhere to the human body. Iron Shirt/thread for the upper body, iron bridge (forearm) legs, fingers.. I was simply giving a general overview on Iron hand.

5. democritus2k

democritus2k New Member Full Member

May 29, 2011
    That first post is kinda hard to read, I didn't even try. Maybe some better formatting would help?

6. noobboxer_88

Oct 20, 2012
    Hope thats better..Biggest post I've ever written..:lol:

7. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Iron Shirt Training at 14:50:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z_PGqaLneP4[/url]

8. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    What a load of wank... just to say "Increase the density of your bones".

:lol: @ Iron palms.

I'm going to go for a run now and gain 'Iron legs'. You put impact on any bone and it remodels to become more dense/stronger.

That's what I hate about eastern martial arts in general, they act like they have this esoteric information about the human body and special techniques, when in reality it's basic ****.

9. noobboxer_88

Oct 20, 2012
    Actually iron legs is no different than iron shirt. Laugh at what you want. Time and time again iron palm has proven itself to be effective. Look up videos of the Shaolin. Their iron skills are impeccable. I laugh:lol: at your close mindedness. Try understanding before you make arrogant and ignorant assumptions based on your lack of knowledge and understanding. All i did was try to offer a way to protect your hands. And if you're not a fan of or dont believe in kung fu then look at Thai fighters. They strike banana trees. Still a form of iron skills.

10. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Mate, they do some **** that can't be explained by science (yet) and it's all through their training. You get the side show bull**** tricks for the tourists, but the real **** i.e. bending a metal rod with the soft tissue of the neck and hanging by their throat from a noose for hours on end is unbelievable.

You may find it funny but the stuff they put themselves through is far from "basic ****".

11. noobboxer_88

Oct 20, 2012
    To back that further there are trees in china with finger size holes in them. Thats from more iron skills. Any guesses? Yep iron finger. :lol:

12. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I have iron ****

13. democritus2k

democritus2k New Member Full Member

May 29, 2011
    that must explain why the holes were only finger-sized?

14. noobboxer_88

Oct 20, 2012
    :lol:

15. Bazzel

Bazzel Guest

How would this iron palm effect my masterbation though? Would i just crush my **** into some sort of powder with my iron palms?