Is 23 too late to start boxing to become any sort of decent in the boxing game?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Hgul94, Jun 7, 2017.

1. alexthegreatmc

alexthegreatmc Sound logic and reason. You're welcome! Full Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Jr middleweight and middleweight average height is 5'10"

The Ripper likes this.
  2. Hgul94

Hgul94 New Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2017

Trust me my body is a full blown man ***** body lol

I can still fight but I feel tired and weak constantly all the time.

I need to get lean before I start boxing

All them pizzas got me fat as fukk mayneee

Hopefully I'll stick to my word and get into boxing and let all of you guys know :)

3. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    If you want to be good local fighter I think you can start even at all 30. Its been done.

4. Hgul94

Jan 26, 2017
    See I want my little brother to start training aswell

He's 8 soon to be 9 I want h8m to get the hang of it early so when he's older he'll be a machine hopefully IA

5. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Why do people have this impression that unless you start boxing at the age of 5 you're going to be **** starting later in life?

Just because somebody hasn't won a particular title after starting at whatever age doesn't mean its impossible, you could be the first.

If you want to box then box. Age has **** all to do with anything. Train ****ing hard, train correctly, learn and win.

Hgul94 likes this.
  6. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Agreed. There are a lot of guys out there with little to no skill. If you are in solid shape and have decent fundamentals, you can start at 30 and beat a string of low level guys.

7. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Do it. I started boxing when I was 21 and it was the best decision I've ever made. I'm never going to do anything special but I love the training, love preparing for a fight, and love getting under the lights in the small hall amateur shows!

Dedicate yourself to it whilst ensuring it remains fun and take it from there man. Have goals, but don't set yourself unrealistic targets or be to hard on yourself. Enjoy the ride!

Hgul94 likes this.
  8. Hgul94

Jan 26, 2017
    Thanks bro I will and I'll let you guys know how I get on

9. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    It's been done before at even later ages but generally those who had the most success were elite level athletes transitioning from other sports.

10. Juggernault

Juggernault New Member Full Member

May 11, 2017
    One thing for sure the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.

JagOfTroy likes this.
  11. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    OMG 23??? maybe lawn bowling or horseshoes.
    But boxing? leave that to the people who started at 9 years old.

captain hook likes this.
  12. tysonko

tysonko New Member Full Member

May 3, 2017
    I am a trainer/manager 23 is definitely not too old however you must stay committed and in the gym.

13. chechen

chechen New Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Hopkins started age 24...
    Joshua started age 18...

No one can say how far you can go in boxing its all up to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. jimmyonebomb

jimmyonebomb Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    It depends what your goals are mate. Obviously its a big ask to start now and make an impact as a pro, but not unheard of either as others have said, Sean dodd for instance started in his mid twenties and is having a decent career as a pro.

BUT if your goal is to have a go at boxing, have a novice amatuer fight, go through the experience of training, making weight, fighting etc no way are you to old. I had my first amateur fight at 30 and cureently have a twat of a record of won one lost Four!! (they were all robberies honest). Im never gonna set the world alight but im a boxing fan and enjoy competing, its about what an achievable goal for you is.

lucky luke likes this.
  15. Fortis

Fortis New Member Full Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Audley Harrison turned pro at 30. Amnat Ruenroeng had his pro debut after 30. Rocky Marciano also had a late start. Age doesn't matter, its the work, dedication and commitment that counts.