is 24 too old?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by carlos200587, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Strongback

Strongback Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 6, 2009
    24 is too old if you can't fight for ****.

2. slantone

slantone Ring General Full Member

Feb 27, 2005
    it depends, on your background. alot of people have tried boxing later in life- with success- but the ones had athletic backgrounds. to pick it up from scratch- you might havea nice side career here and there- but theres nothing wrong with fighting on smokers for 100 bucks. will you be floyd? no......
    it takes a lifetime- or at least 10 000 hours, 10 years , to be an expert they say, its not so much the physical- but also the discipline, the habits, the technique- the mental aspect- that takes years to build. i ve been boxing 4 years now- and i still cant help blinking when i get punched- pro boxers, good ones- can let a glove touch their eyeball and not flinch- that takes years to overcome that instinct.

but like i said- i have friends who turned pro after a year- at 27- and they fight at clubs with 100 people in the crowd for a lil bit of money, and they train after work, and you know what? they enjoy it. so who s to tsay you cant be a pro- you just wont be able to make riches off it im afraid.

the smaller the division- the more competitive it is also, more people, greater pool , more skills, etc. if you were 6'8" 255, then maybe with a bit of training you could be formidabble and make some coin- like we ve seen many guys do.

but at the lighter weights- ****- i had the same thought at your age- and first day of sparring i couldnt believe how skilled and fit these guys were- to do burpees for 3 mins straight, run 4.30 miles, 50 handstand pushups, not get touched- let alone punched, takes years man-

we think basketballers, tennis players, golfers- and we think- nah- that would take years to perfect- but for some reason- everyone thinks after 6 months- they could take on floyd mayweather- the fact is- its harder than those sports to be good at. if someone asked- you think at 24 i could be a pro golfer? i d say **** off. but for some reason people think cos all you do is throw punches- its easy. it aint easy son, and learning is the most painful part in this sport, you get punched in the face for youre growing pains and your mistakes.

3. carlos200587

carlos200587 Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2010
    good advice, thank you

4. freddieMaize

freddieMaize Active Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Wow :thumbsup

5. Straight Shoota

Straight Shoota Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    hes a former world champ lol

6. PNoyFightFanUSN

PNoyFightFanUSN Larry Don't Give a **** Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    i started last december before turning 24. I'm aiming to do some amateur fights and maybe try out for the Navy team. I wouldn't want to do it professionally. Couldn't if i wind up career military anyways but I had an itch to get in and try and didn't want to look back some day saying I wish I had scratched it.

7. bobandweave

bobandweave Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2011

If you can punch like the guy in the picture you will do alright. If not,then you had better learn to box as well as the first guy to knock him on his ass.

8. KONGtheBOXER

KONGtheBOXER Member Full Member

Oct 5, 2011
    im pretty sure marciano started boxing at 24

9. ShinyaAòki

ShinyaAòki Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2011
    you may not become world champ. but you could become a successful pro boxer.

10. ShinyaAòki

ShinyaAòki Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2011
    also. it sounds like your doubtful. if you want something bad enough you just do it. good luck though

11. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    The old Soviet athlete texts say that to become a Master of Sport, and to reach your peak, you need to train consistently for 9 years, and you will peak during the 7th and 8th years.

12. Antsu

Antsu Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    I think you are mixing him up to Bruce Seldon