Is Ali the best H2H HW till today?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Jun 21, 2019.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Is Muhammad Ali the best H2H Heavyweight fighter until today?
    From John L to Tyson Fury?

Ballista, Rumsfeld and swagdelfadeel like this.
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    No, it's Glaukos the Hammer.

In all seriousness though, he definitely is, or is close. There are not many fighters that I would pick to beat him, and those that I would pick would lose to more opponents than Ali H2H overall (IMO).

3. BrutalForeman

BrutalForeman Active Member Full Member

May 17, 2014
    No. I'm taking a prime Liston or Lewis over him. (Just off the top of my head)

4. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    He's up there. Second only to the 80's Iron Mike Tyson. Then Louis, Holmes, Bowe, Liston...after that it gets dicey.

5. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Liston maybe. Lewis no.

robert ungurean likes this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Lewis has more chance than Liston

mark ant likes this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I've got Lewis as number 1, Ali as top 3

I can't decide who wins between Bowe and Ali, I think he loses to Wlad, Frazier and Lewis

8. BrutalForeman

BrutalForeman Active Member Full Member

May 17, 2014
    Liston in top form has the tools to beat any champion. Not saying he would every time but he is a head to head monster.

9. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Depends on the rules, someone like peak Jack Johnson would be really tough to beat with small gloves and clinches allowance, even for Ali.

10. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Moderator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2004

Quite possibly, or even probably. If he isn't, he's close.

Personally, if every HW great had a round robin among the top 25 - I think Larry would probably finish with the best overall record in my estimation - even if I believe him and Ali is a total toss-up.

robert ungurean likes this.
  11. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Well, Ali looks amazing. Great active guard. M.Tyson was well on the way to becoming a heavyweight version of what Loma is today, I think he had better fundamentals than Ali.

12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    My friend compared Fury`s power to Ali`s yesterday and I told him Ali hit harder, Liston didn`t know how to cut the ring off, about the energy thing I`m sure you`re right but I read somewhere that Ali took ballet lessons to move in a way that stopped his legs from tiring, he didn`t bend his leg too much when moving and he would push himself around the ring putting pressure on his foot and pushing his body around the ring, QI!

13. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    At his 60’s best he exhibited handspeed as good as the division has seen, movement that hasn’t been equaled before or since, and reflexes that were off the charts.

In the 70’s he showed he had even more than his God given athletic gifts. He had desire, will, heart and courage that was as good as anyone and a chin that was pure granite.

I seriously doubt a single fighter in the divisions history has had so many qualities that you expect in a great fighter going for them as Ali had. These more than compensated for his lack of a fight ending punch and flaws in his style.

I’d still have him as the h2h best ever on the strength of these abundant qualities, which isn’t to say a given fighter couldn’t come out on top against him on a given night but I’d favour him to win more against the best than any other heavyweight champion.

14. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Yes ,imo.

15. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Terrific post!

young griffo likes this.