Is amir khan arrogant/why is he so hated by Brits?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by higurk, Mar 2, 2014.

1. v2k987

v2k987 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Khan's sense of entitlement is what annoys me.

He thinks he should be given opportunities without earning them.

He is also pretty stupid and often says ridiculous things. Just not a likeable character.

I don't really care about him. I enjoy his fights.

2. KO-KING

KO-KING Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 15, 2011
    to some yeah sure, but to most?

Froch is no household name here, Khan is, so obviously more people knowing you will mean more people are bound to hate you, he's annoying, constantly looks past his opponent for Mayweather, doing again with broner, he's stupid, but hate he gets is far more than what he deserves because he's never avoided a fight (barring Alexander in december - thought he had Bradley and negotiations weren't that advanced) he's value for money - so many exiting fights in his career, Limond, Gomez, Maidana, Peterson, Garcia, Diaz

Like someone said before, it is kind of the british way, we just dont like the arrogance that comes along with most winners.

Graeme Swann (recently retired Cricket Player), part ot his interview when he retired

FW: Do you think that's down to our English mentality, that we're uncomfortable with winning?

GS:
    100%.

FW:
    You know what I mean? Like there's something odd about it. There's always got to be a reason why we've just won, and not just because we're a good side.

GS:
    You only have to look at all the ex-players who are very quick to say, "Yeah you've won the last three Ashes, but the Australians I played against were way better that this lot!"

FW:
    That's true. The Australians weren't getting told that they were playing a poor England side when they kept winning. It was just "What a great Australian side!"

GS:
    To be honest, I don't think it's just the press. I think it's the whole nation. We're very pessimistic. We always fear the worst and I think it permeates through the whole of society. We're not comfortable with winning. Look at America; they love winning teams over there and anyone associated with winning teams is immortalised forever. They've got countless "Halls of Fame". In England we have to go back to 1966 to find sport stars that were really revered. Bobby Moore was probably the last great hero.

3. Florez

Florez Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Khan talks himself up and he does get annoying at times. Oh and also when he fights, his legs looks like a Giraffe's legs. So lanky like as if they were going to snap every time he throws his little combinations.

4. rjjftw

rjjftw Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2012
    hes hated because he is a ****

5. First Round KO

First Round KO Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Mayweather has come out with a belter on Twitter, saying to Khan he will fight him if he beats Broner before adding 'but you won't'.

6. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    It's very easy to criticise Khan which can very easily turn to dislike and hate. He seems to make a habit of making poor choices from his chose of Oliver Harrison as his first trainer, his numerous driving offenses, one which ruined a mans life, leading to his death and his inability in the ring to fight in a manner which suits his attributes. He's one of the most naturally talented fighters to ever come from the UK yet he has failed to reach anywhere near his full potential. He's infuriating to watch because of this.

7. SRB

SRB Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I think the potential Khan v Broner fight will throw a lot of people off. I'm not Khan's biggest supporter but like most have said, it's because he is annoying and says really idiotic things.
    With Broner it's a whole new level. The man is a complete scumbag who I would like to set on fire and throw things at. Would certainly be in Amir's scorner for that one, he is more of a pantomime villain whereas Broner is an odious ballbag

8. GuestAppearance

GuestAppearance Active Member Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    It's not coincidence that the people from the two worst European countries who historically colonized, killed, and raped the most people (England and Spain) would have it out for a ****stan boxer. Europe and the Western world has the most backwards racists, westerners are the only ones who will kill you, take your land, and then HATE you as if you're the ones who did it them. :lol:

9. anthbrown

anthbrown Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2009
    it has nothing to do with race, im british and white

everyone was behind him, until prescott knocked him out... and then he refused to rematch him while claiming he was the best

then beat barrera on dodgy cuts and didnt rematch,
    then mclocskey on a joke of a cut and didnt rematch,
    then pushed his way to a loss against peterson,
    then got knocked out by garcia and wants a shot at mayweather without rematching him

all while genuinely believing he is the best - yet wont back it up - hes a joke

10. Tom23

Tom23 Active Member Full Member

Feb 5, 2013
    He's not British. When his family were running around the ring at the Olympics/pro fights with ****stan flags that tells the story.

11. R6_Ninja

R6_Ninja Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Actual answer - because he's brown/Muslim

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 26, 2013
    His dad actually wore a union jack waistcoat at the Olympics, what's wrong with him acknowledging his heritage, didnt Joe Calzaghe wave an italian flag on occasion? Naz entered with the Yemeni flag aswel as the british, there are many examples of this in america too with the Mexican-American fighters etc so this is a bull**** excuse.

13. Rico Spadafora

Rico Spadafora Master of Chins Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Khan is one of the biggest Glass Jawed Frauds in the sport. He has no Chin, no heart, no power, no Ring IQ. None.

14. LondonRingRules

LondonRingRules Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 5, 2011
    People go on about the fact that Brits don't like winners, that's a complete myth. We celebrated all our Olympic competitors, we all went mad when andy Murray won the us open and Wimbledon and I can guarantee if England won the World Cup the whole country would lose their minds. It has nothing to do with not liking winners, that's nonsense, it all comes down to the fact that in Britain the most celebrated sports stars are the ones who seem more down to earth, if the person in question doesn't seem like someone that you could have a pint an a joke with in the pub they generally won't be loved by the public here. Froch and khan come across absolutely nothing like that. May seem weird to Americans but that's just the way it is here.

15. Sweet Jones

Sweet Jones Boxing Addict Full Member

May 24, 2007
    Hell, in America we've elected Presidents based on that. :cool: